Aggregate, now at V0.66

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, I understand. Was thinking about stuff like this. There's a "shift" option available with rrdtool 1.2.x that should yield those results. But it is not yet supported with cacti. And, personally, I suppose it would be a bit difficult to support it. Find more about the use of this option at http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl
Reinhard
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

And here's V0.4
It support "skipping" of unwanted graph items. This makes only sense, when aggregating garphs of same graph template.
You will be prompted with a list of graph items (taken from the first graph to be aggregated). Last column holds checkboxes. When checked, the item will be skipped during aggregation.
By this, it is e.g. possible to create an aggregate graph of "Input Traffic" only and the like.
Its a quick and ugly hack, be prepared that it may fail. But it's late in Germany and I'm tired.
Reinhard

Find V0.61 on the next page
Last edited by gandalf on Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

gandalf wrote:Well, I understand. Was thinking about stuff like this. There's a "shift" option available with rrdtool 1.2.x that should yield those results. But it is not yet supported with cacti. And, personally, I suppose it would be a bit difficult to support it. Find more about the use of this option at http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl
Reinhard
ahh.
that works great. i've managed to create a shell script that creates our graphs for us, i just need to figure out how to write it out in php and add it into cacti.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

This would be a task for a plugin, I suppose. You will need
- a new field to specify the SHIFT option on the panels
- a database field were to store that data
Reinhard
Neal4IU

Using aggregate v.4 and working wonderfully

Post by Neal4IU »

Hey Reinhard! First thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the cacti cause. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago and you promptly responded and pointed me in the right direction...which eventually led me here. I just wanted to let you know that I am successfully using the aggregate v.4 plugin to graph several of our buildings. It is a busy graph but still gives you some quick instant info to see who's peaking etc...it is is a nice addition to all the individual edge closets. Thanks again, I have migrated our entire university from mrtg to cacti in a short time thanks to you and the other great developers :) here is a pic of a typical aggregate graph using your plugin

gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, that's a nice graph! Did you already consider using some *Mono* fonts to adjust the legend? I entered
/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/VeraMono.ttf
at "Settings -> Visual -> Legend Font File".
If you have suggestions for further improvements of that plugin, don't hesitate to post
Reinhard
Neal4IU

graph fonts

Post by Neal4IU »

Reinhard,
Thanks for the heads up on the fonts. I have been so busy creating data sources and graphs that I had kind of overlooked that. It is especially important on these larger graphs though. I downloaded that same bitstream font collection referenced in your post and I am implementing it now. I like the clarity of it. I have 6 buildings down and 22 more to go so I will hopefully have some more feedback for you in the coming weeks as to my experiences with this so far great plugin! Thanks again for creating this, it is a huge help to me.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

This is the next version, now including color templates.
When installing, do not forget to install the aggregate.sql. From README
----[ Purpose

This plugin aggregates graphs from Graph Management.
All data you want to see must already be present on any existing graphs.

----[ Features

1) Aggregates existing Graphs into a single Aggregate Graph, keeping the sequence
of selected Graphs and of the Graph Items within theses Graphs.
2) Provides a new Graph Title for the Aggregate.
3) Prepends all legend items with the hostname the item belongs to.
4) Provides additional <HR> linebreaks for the very last graph item of each graph,
if needed. This prevents ugly formatting.
5) Allows for converting into AREA/STACK or LINE1 graphs
6) Displays a list of Graph Items (taken from the first Graph selected) to allow
for skipping selected graph items
7) Defines "Color Templates". These define a list of colors, e.g. light red to dark
red. Allows to associate colored Graph Items to a Color Template. By doing so,
Graph Items of same data source will no longer show the same color but instead
will be colorized according to the Color Template

----[ Prerequisites

Before you install Aggregate, you need to have met the following pre-requisites:
1) Cacti 0.8.6i or Above. Versions of Cacti prior to 0.8.6 are not supported.
2) Cacti Plugin Architecture v1.0 (requires 3 new hooks provided as a patch) OR
Cacti Plugin Architecture v1.1 (includes the needed hooks)

----[ Installation

Install is similar to other plugins.
Realm ID is 72, needed to manage Color Templates. Using Color Templates is
possible without access to this realm id.
DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL THE aggregate.sql

----[ Usage

This plugin adds a new dropdown action to Graph Management, called
"Create Aggregate Graphs". To use it, please filter the graphs you want to
aggregate and select all of those you want to be aggregated. The topmost
one serves as a "template" for the basic graph properties.

If you like to aggregate graphs of different type (e.g. a traffic graph and
a graph showing the numbers of logged in users), no one will stop you doing so.
But in case you want to interpret the data, this will be left to you.
So, better aggregate graphs of same graph template.

Be aware: If the basic graphs include e.g. AREA/STACK graph items, those will
overlap on the aggregate. Please select the option "Make it an AREA/STACK Graph",
and the plugin will take care for it.
Alternatively, by checking "Make it a LINE1 Graph", all AREA/STACKs are converted
to LINE1.
If the basic graphs include "Totals", the aggregate will include those as well.
It may not make that much sense to include several "Totals"; so you may want to
delete some of them.
If the basic graph includes "COMMENTS", you may want to delete some of them as well.
This is supported by checking the "Skip" checkboxes for those Graph Items.

In general, colors of graph items from different graphs will be equal. You will want
to change colors to make the aggregate better readable.
This plugin supports re-colorization by means of "Color Templates". Color Templates
are a list of different colors. Selecting a Color Template for a colorized Graph
Item from the dropdown selection list will associate this Graph Item with the color
defined by the Color Template.

When aggregating, you will be prompted

- Title Format:
Enter a new title for the Template.

- Graph Type:
Select one of the following
Keep Graph Types - no changes to Graph Item Type
Make it an AREA/STACK Graph - create an AREA/STACK Graph
Make it a LINE1 Graph - convert to LINE1

- Graph Template Items
Select the "Skip" checkbox to suppress this Graph Item for the Aggregate
Select a given Color Template to change the color of a Graph Item

----[ Additional Help?

If you need additional help, please goto forums.cacti.net.

----[ Possible Bugs?

If you figure out this problem, let me know!!!

----[ Special Thanks

The idea to create such a plugin was first mentioned by TheWitness, even if he
preferred to work on Data Sources instead of Graphs.
All this would not have been possible without the cacti core development team
and the work of cigamit, who created the Plugin Architecture for cacti.

----[ Future Changes

----[ Changelog
--- SVN ---

--- 0.5 ---
Managing of Color Templates
Referring to Color Templates allows for different colors for same data source

--- 0.4 ---
Add skipping of selected Graph Items

--- 0.3 ---
Add Graph Type Conversion

--- 0.2 ---
First public release, very basic functions

--- 0.1 ---
Initial release, first shown at 1.CCC.eu, the 1. European Cacti Community
Conference.
The section "Future Changes" is not complete. There's one feature I'm still thinking about. But as a php coder at beginners level, I have to think hard how to implement it.
Please try this version; I would call it a BETA. It still includes lots of debugging stuff which will be deleted for the final version.
I'd like to hear from you
Reinhard

Find v0.61 on the next page
Last edited by gandalf on Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Next one:
I discovered some probs with the computation of needed <HR> line breaks. So I decided to allow for manual selection. See attached image.
bugfix: When creating AREA/STACK graphs from LINEx graphs, the first graph in the aggregate would hold STACK items. This is wrong. Now we will create AREA items for the first graph.
This may as well be wrong, e.g. if the first graph should include one AREA and one STACK. But I can't imagine an automated way to cope with that. In these cases, you will have to change the graph item type afterwards
Reinhard

Find v0.61 on the next page
Attachments
The selection fields<br />See the new &amp;quot;&amp;lt;HR&amp;gt;&amp;quot; column
The selection fields
See the new &quot;&lt;HR&gt;&quot; column
v0.6.png (28.49 KiB) Viewed 14765 times
Last edited by gandalf on Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
timi
Cacti User

Post by timi »

is it possible to use this plugin with Plugin Architecture 1.0 and cacti .6h ?
Neal4IU

Post by Neal4IU »

Reinhard,
I feel pretty stupid asking this because it seems like I am missing something simple BUT...here is my problem. I love the aggregate plugin and am using it extensively. I have a problem though trying to show the total aggregate information, in my case bandwidth in/out. In a typical scenario I would have 6 interfaces on a cisco 6500 that serve a particular department. I want to make a graph that not only shows the individual link information but would also give a running total of aggregate bandwidth usage for this cluster. I was wondering if you or anyone else could give me a push in the right direction on this. I am really having trouble getting over the hump on these type of graphs. Please help a noob out :)
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Neal4IU wrote:... I have a problem though trying to show the total aggregate information, in my case bandwidth in/out. In a typical scenario I would have 6 interfaces on a cisco 6500 that serve a particular department. I want to make a graph that not only shows the individual link information but would also give a running total of aggregate bandwidth usage for this cluster.
I would start aggregating the basic data first. That is: In/out of all 6 interfaces. Then, add a new Graph Item to the aggregate that holds the totaling stuff. Find an example on the "bandwidth ..." Graph Template for Traffic.
Reinhard
MagicOneXXX
Cacti User

Post by MagicOneXXX »

Some thoughts:

Aggregate data sources, much like what can be done with weathermap. This way, A "total of aggregate" comment could be shown. Also, this would make it possible to to show inbound/outbound aggregate totals on one graph. At the moment, I can't seem to get Inbounds to stack well with outbounds.

Hmmm, one problem I have is that I cannot select two of the graphs that I want because of the limited search functionality for Graph Management. I have 754 graphs at the moment, and it's not possible to select a graph and then click on "next" and have that graph remain selected.

More of a core cacti feature than a plugin one....

Otherwise, very good work! Exactly what I was looking for!
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Try using SQL wildcards when filtering your Graphs. E.g. one%two%three will filter for all Graphs, that contain one, two and three in that order but allow for any other string in between (% matches * used e.g. for file name wildcard. SQL wildcard for ? is _)
Reinhard
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Hi Gandalf,

I get the below error when I attempt to delete a colour template

Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\wamp\www\Cacti\plugins\aggregate\color_templates.php on line 116

Warning: include(/plugins/aggregate/aggregate_functions.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\Cacti\plugins\aggregate\color_templates.php on line 116

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/plugins/aggregate/aggregate_functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\Cacti\plugins\aggregate\color_templates.php on line 116

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\wamp\www\Cacti\plugins\aggregate\color_templates.php:116) in C:\wamp\www\Cacti\plugins\aggregate\color_templates.php on line 135

Any ideas why this is ? I am using V6 of the Aggregate plugin.

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b