Graphs stopped working on Ubuntu 6.06 w/ 0.8.6j

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

djcronos

Graphs stopped working on Ubuntu 6.06 w/ 0.8.6j

Post by djcronos »

Hi all,

I've failed miserably twice trying to graph both a Cisco 7200 router and now an HP Switch. I am convinced there is something now wrong with graphing the results for these devices.

For some reason, all new graphs I add will not graph and will only display 'nan' in the results. I have a handful of graphs that still continue to work that I added the first day I installed Cacti, but all new graphs since then aren't working.

I am running Ubuntu 6.06 with Cacti 0.8.6j. I did not upgrade to the version, I installed a fresh copy.

I've followed the debugging instructions at http://forums.cacti.net/post-78682.html and here is what I've come up with:

1. Check Cacti Log File
There were no errors in /usr/share/cacti/log/cacti.log

2. Check Basic Data Gathering
After running snmpget, I get the following:

Code: Select all

IF-MIB::ifInOctets.94 = Counter32: 1075492904
3. Check cacti's poller
It appears as if the output is correct.

4. Check MySQL updating
Everything in the log appeared OK

5. Check rrd file updating
It appears to be updating:

02/12/2007 12:40:06 PM - POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool update /usr/share/cacti-0.8.6j/rra/nocsw2_traffic_in_196.rrd --template traffic_out:traffic_in 1171312805:2739765392:2043914038
6. Check rrd file numbers
I noticed that the ds.last_ds value was larger than the .max, so I upped the amount of 0's. I'm not sure if this will fix the issue, but it's the only problem I see that's wrong with this.

7. Check rrdtool graph statement
These look just fine.

Here's the output of /var/log/poller.log:

http://pastebin.ca/352368

Please let me know what information I can provide, and I will be more than happy to provide it.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help!
djcronos

Post by djcronos »

Just an update, I changed the 0's from +e7 to +e12, and I still don't get any graphs.

What could be wrong?
djcronos

Post by djcronos »

Also, everything was run as root. I changed the username and groupname to www-data, as someone on IRC mentioned that might be the cause (which didn't make sense, but to cover all grounds, I still did it). Still doesn't work.

Any ideas?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Did you apply the patches from the web site?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
djcronos

Post by djcronos »

No, not yet. I guess that would be my next step. Heck, I didn't even know there were patches for the new version just yet.

I'll patch the install and report back.

Thanks.
djcronos

Post by djcronos »

Okay I patched everything and still nothing. All the graphs I created on the first day still work, yet all new graphs I create do not work and display 'nan' in the results for each graph.

What the heck is going on?
djcronos

Post by djcronos »

PHP: 5.1.6
Apache: 2.0.55
rrdtool: 1.2.11

Hopefully that helps.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Please post a screenshot. Then, click the graph and select the wrench to find the rrdtool graph statement. Post this as well.
Try to copy this statement to cli. Replace "rrdtool graph -" by "rrdtool graph /tmp/pic.png" and run it. Post any error found
Reinhard
flickerfly

Post by flickerfly »

I'm having the same problem, identical.

I tried making the /usr/share/cacti/site directory and everything in it owned by www-data instead of root. Ubuntu doesn't seem to setup a cacti user when it installs cacti. I've seen a lot of people with this same problem in several places around the web and I haven't seen anything that works yet. It also doesn't seem to matter if cacti is installed from src or deb. It's a mystery so far, and I'd really like to see it worked out.
flickerfly

Post by flickerfly »

Here's a screenshot showing what's not showing up. I can't seem to see what you mean by click the wrench and where do I make the rrdtool command change?
Attachments
no-graphs.png
no-graphs.png (81.05 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
clever

Post by clever »

i had my graphs missing like that also at one point when making a new one
when checking the error log file for apache i saw a error comming up there once for each graph which had the problem
i forget what it said but if you check apache's errorlog it may give some help
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

flickerfly wrote:Here's a screenshot showing what's not showing up. I can't seem to see what you mean by click the wrench and where do I make the rrdtool command change?
Please select one of the broken graphs to find the wrench next a new (broken) graph. Or visit Graph Management, select the Graph and switch to DEBUg mode
Reinhard
flickerfly

Post by flickerfly »

Here is the graph debug mode output:

RRDTool Command:

/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Localhost - Processes" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="processes" \
--slope-mode \
DEF:a="/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_proc_7.rrd":proc:AVERAGE \
AREA:a#F51D30:"Running Processes"  \
GPRINT:a:LAST:"Current\:%8.0lf"  \
GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.0lf"  \
GPRINT:a:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.0lf" 

RRDTool Says:

ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_proc_7.rrd': No such file or directory

Here is a sample from my apache error log:

ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_mem_buffers_3.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_load_1min_5.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_users_6.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_proc_7.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_mem_buffers_3.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_load_1min_5.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/localhost_users_6.rrd': No such file or directory
[/code]
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, where are the files?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
flickerfly

Post by flickerfly »

I assume the program should have created them there. I didn't create anything so I'm expecting they should be exactly where cacti would have created them and I'm assuming that cacti would look for them where it created them. Should they be somewhere else?

I ran updatedb and then locate rrd. All I came up with was man pages, packages, the rrdtool dir and other unrelated files.