ss_host_disk.php Befuddlement

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Diggit2001
Cacti User

ss_host_disk.php Befuddlement

Post by Diggit2001 »

I am currently monitoring about 25 Windows servers with my cacti and the Host MIB - Available Disk Space template works great for monitoring drive space/memory usage on all of my servers, except three. One of the three is able to graph physical and virtual memory but not the C drive and the other two are able to graph the C drive and virtual memory, but not physical memory. The rrd files are created but the graphs just show up as "nan". I have read through gandalf's handy dandy debugging guide but nothing has helped me with this problem.

I have tried deleting and recreating the problem graphs but this has not helped. Also, I went into one of the problem servers in devices and did a verbose query on SNMP - Get Mounted Partitions and it did return data on all hard drives/memory stuff. I went into the poller cache and looked up one of the affected hosts to compare stuff and I did notice something. I saw that the problem graph (in this case, the C drive) had only two data sources listed and the ones that work (in this case I am listing physical memory) had 3. Here's what I mean:

C Drive - Doesn't work

psfiletst - Used Space - C: Label: Seri Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 106 1:161:500:mrtghbi%375:::MD5::[None] get used 2
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2390.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - C: Label: Seri Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 106 1:161:500:mrtghbi%375:::MD5::[None] get total 2
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2390.rrd

Physical Memory - Does work

psfiletst - Used Space - Physical Memory Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 106 1:161:500:mrtghbi%375:::MD5::[None] get used 6
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2393.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - Physical Memory Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 106 1:161:500:mrtghbi%375:::MD5::[None] get used 6

psfiletst - Used Space - Physical Memory Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 106 1:161:500:mrtghbi%375:::MD5::[None] get total 6

This was the case for all of the problem servers. All of the graphs that did not work had only 2 data sources while the ones that did work had 3.

Now, I have no idea why they only have two or even how to go about fixing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
-Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Increase your snmp timeout to from between 5-8 seconds. Window's SNMP is horrible. Either that or remove your floppies :)

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

I have bumped up the SNMP timeout to 7000 milliseconds for the affected devices and rebuilt the poller cache but nothing has changed. Also, I do not have floppy disks or any other removable media in any of the drives.

Can you recommend something else to try?

Thanks much.
-Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I just noted that your community string includes some special characters. This character "%" is not going to work with Cacti. This is your issue. Sorry about sending down this path.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

Hmm. That's strange. I've been using that string for years and I have 70 other hosts using it with no problems.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

You may want to try the pure snmp solution at http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=11647
Reinhard
Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

OK, I've entirely deleted one of my "problem" devices. I then changed the snmp string on the server and recreated it in Cacti using this new string. Now, neither hard drives are working. They both show nans and when I look in the poller cache, C and D both have only 2 data sources, instead of the 3 thats necessary for it to work. Looks like I've taken a step backwards.

I don't get it. Anyone have any idea whats going on here? I'd really appreciate it.
Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

Thanks gandalf, that really looks like a lot of fun. I just don't get why this is happening. It really doesn't make any sense.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, back in town now. So, these things worked at one time I am assuming. With all that has gone on, my question is: What did you change? Have you tested outside of Cacti using the script server testing procedure? If you upgraded, did you copy your old script on top of the new ones? If so, then you should only have replace the script files if your's were newer (yea, that makes no sense). We have updated the script server version of host disk and host cpu on a few occasions between point releases. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Also, what version of PHP are you running? Are you running CGI or CLI? Last thing, are you using Apache or some other web server?

TheWitness

Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

These 3 problem graphs have never worked and now since deleting one of them, changing the snmp string on it and then recreating it I have 4 graphs that don't work. I have not tested outside of cacti using the script server testing procedure (not sure how to do that. Is this documented somewhere?) but when running a verbose query on the "SNMP - Get Mounted Partitions" data query in this device, it returns all info correctly.

I upgraded a month or two ago and I believe I overwrote my copy of these files with the new ones.

Here's my info:

Cacti Version - 0.8.6i
Plugin Architecture - 1.1
Poller Type - CMD.php
Server Info - Linux 2.6.9-42.0.8.EL
Web Server - Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS)
PHP - 4.3.9
PHP Extensions - yp, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, standard, sockets, shmop, session, pspell, posix, pcre, overload, mime_magic, iconv, gmp, gettext, ftp, exif, dio, dbx, dba, curl, ctype, calendar, bz2, bcmath, zlib, openssl, apache2handler, gd, mysql, snmp, eAccelerator
MySQL - 4.1.20
RRDTool - 1.2.11
SNMP - 5.1.2
Plugins
  • PHP Network Weathermap (weathermap - v0.82)
    Thresholds (thold - v0.3.1)
    Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.7)
    Network Tools (tools - v0.2)
    Syslog Monitoring (haloe - v0.4)
    mactrack
    RRD Cleaner (rrdclean - v1.1)
    NTop Viewer (ntop - v0.1)
    Update Checker (update - v0.3)
    Host Info (hostinfo - v0.1)
    Reports (reports - v0.0.2)
Not sure about CGI vs CLI. How do I find out which one I'm running?

I appreciate the help. If I can provide anymore information, please let me know.

-Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Script Server Testing:

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=7738

PHP CLI vs. CGI:

php -v

If it does not work from the script server, you are likely missing information in your MIB. You can do the following and post it:

snmpwalk -c <your_community> -v 1 <your_host> .1

TheWitness

Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

Thanks again. I'll check it out when I get in the office tomorrow.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Reread my post, I just edited it to include more information.

TheWitness

Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

There are no results in the poller cache when I search for "Action: 2", but when I select one of my problem hosts and choose "Script Server" for action, I get this:

psfiletst - CPU Utilization - CPU0
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_cpu.php ss_host_cpu psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get usage 0
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_cpu_2420.rrd

psfiletst - CPU Utilization - CPU1
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_cpu.php ss_host_cpu psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get usage 1
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_cpu_2421.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - C: Label: Seri
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 2
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2416.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - C: Label: Seri
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get total 2
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2416.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - D: Label: Seri
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 3
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2417.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - D: Label: Seri
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get total 3
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2417.rrd

psfiletst - Used Space - Physical Memory
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 6
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2419.rrd

Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 6

Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get total 6

psfiletst - Used Space - Virtual Memory
Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 5
RRD: /var/www/html/rra/psfiletst_hdd_total_2418.rrd

Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 5

Script Server: /var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get total 5

Again, Used space on C drive and used space on D drive are the graphs that do not work on this host. Each of those have only 2 data sources while physical memory and virtual memory have 3.

By comparing the data sources that don't work to the ones that do, i figured out the one that was missing so I ran it from the script server. Here's what I got:

/var/www/html/scripts/ss_host_disk.php ss_host_disk psfiletst.harkinsbuilders.com 108 1:161:500:mrtghbi375:::MD5::[None] get used 2

So it looks like it did get a result.
Diggit2001
Cacti User

Post by Diggit2001 »

When I do php -v, I get this:

PHP 4.3.9 (cgi) (built: Nov 7 2006 05:00:00)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with eAccelerator v0.9.5-beta2, Copyright (c) 2004-2006 eAccelerator, by eAccelerator

Thanks again for the help.