Just what perms are required?

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Post by Guest »

I ended up using the latest Apache, php in non-exe mode and it worked.. can't explain it, graphs didnt want to show up at first bombing out with an error on a hex color definiton, but when i came back into work the next day - it was generating graphs! i've been using and loving cacti ever since

screw IIS, and screw IIS lockdown (which is what I think was giving me problems)

free software rocks!
infuseweb

Post by infuseweb »

Odd. I'm not using lockdown in my IIS, yet still having the problem, even in CGI/Non CGI mode.

Personally, I think IIS6 is a pretty good web server. But I have very little experience with Apache.
rex

Some input

Post by rex »

I am running into this same problem. Here is the configuration I'm runnign with:
Windows 2003 server
IIS6
PHP4.3.4

I have tried running (without success) php isapi, non-isapi, and fastcgi. I have tried giving the anonymous web user read/execute against %windir%\system32\cmd.exe. When I do that instead of the popen/fgets error I get "Access is denied." which leads me to agree that this is a perms problem of some sort. I also tried disabling anonymous access and browsed the site as an administrator, which also resulted in the "Access is denied." error.

This is my first stab at getting Catci to run (ever) so there could be something simple that I'm missing. But I thought it might be worthwhile for me to post what I've tried thus far, without success, and see if any of you have any ideas on where to go from here with troubleshooting this.

Post by Guest »

The access denied error could be due to ntfs permissions. Have you checked the permissions of the cacti directory? more importantly the cacti\rra directory?
rex

Post by rex »

Anonymous wrote:The access denied error could be due to ntfs permissions. Have you checked the permissions of the cacti directory? more importantly the cacti\rra directory?
The perms on cacti\rra seem to be set correctly because the .rrd's are being created. I will check the perms on cacti\ ( I hadn't really thought to check those....I had made, the perhaps incorrect, assumption that \rra was the only place that was being written to )

Post by Guest »

rex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The access denied error could be due to ntfs permissions. Have you checked the permissions of the cacti directory? more importantly the cacti\rra directory?
The perms on cacti\rra seem to be set correctly because the .rrd's are being created. I will check the perms on cacti\ ( I hadn't really thought to check those....I had made, the perhaps incorrect, assumption that \rra was the only place that was being written to )
\log too. Does the anonymous user have read access to the rra's? How about execute permissions on rrdtool.exe?
rex

Post by rex »

Anonymous wrote:
rex wrote:
\log too. Does the anonymous user have read access to the rra's? How about execute permissions on rrdtool.exe?
Okay! I have finally gotten cacti to work! I figured that I must have hosed something up somewhere along the line, so I basically started from scratch. I also switched from 0.8.3a to 0.8.4. The only problem I ran into this time around was with the iwam_<hostname> user not having rights to %windir%\system32\cmd.exe. Once that was fixed everything worked as expected. I'm still not exactly sure what I was doing wrong the first time.