Script that needs to return NaN for a value

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

BigWillyStyle42

Script that needs to return NaN for a value

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

I have a script that pings two hosts (one IPv4, one IPv6) and then returns the values. Occassionally my IPv6 connection will drop, but I'd like my IPv4 latency to still be graphed, and the IPv6 latency to become NaN until it recovers.

By default the script returned the following in that case:

Code: Select all

ping4:24.5 ping6:
To which cacti replies

01/03/2007 02:25:02 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[20] WARNING: Result from CMD not valid.  Partial Result: ping4:8.50 ping6
When I realized that wasn't working I added a check to change the value to NaN since that is what is displayed in the graphs, but that produces the same output in the cacti log. Read another post here that mentioned that the value should be "U" so I tried that, but that also produces the exact same output.

So the question is, what is the magic output I need to produce to get NaN put into the rrd?

I'm using cacti 0.8.6i.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

ping4:24.5 ping6:U
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
BigWillyStyle42

That's exactly what it currently returns. Tried with cmd.php and cactid and both give the error shown in the first post.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Unfortunately, I you look more closely, you will find that you are missing the
:U
Once you include this, you should be all set.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
BigWillyStyle42

Actually that is being truncated by cacti in the log. I've now modified the script so that it always prints the following:

ping4:U ping6:U
And here are the corresponding items in the log:

01/03/2007 05:20:02 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[20] CMD: /bin/bash /usr/share/cacti/site/scripts/2ping, output: U
01/03/2007 05:20:02 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[20] WARNING: Result from CMD not valid. Partial Result: ping4:U ping6
So it seems to accept the first, but not the second.
Attachments
2ping.sh
Modified script
(291 Bytes) Downloaded 196 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Hmm, let me think about this. Tell me then, when you get the "U" does the other value update correctly? Please advise. If not, it's a bug. Otherwise, it would appear we have a problem. Let me know and I will do what I can.

TheWitness

BigWillyStyle42

The following results work correctly in updating the RRA:

ping4:10 ping6: 20
ping4:U ping6:20
These both result in an error:

ping4:10 ping6:U
ping4:U ping6:U
I also tried the following which seems to update ping4/ping6 properly when ping6 is unknown:

ping4:10 ping6:U dummy:4
So it seems like the last result cannot be unknown.
BigWillyStyle42

Would you like me to file a bug report for this? I can use the hack of adding a 3rd result that is defined for the time being, but obviously it'd be better if it was fixed.