updating ifAlias on graphs

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

mpb

Post by mpb »

Hi,

I have a number of interface graphs for traffic on interfaces.
On the Graph Template - Suggested Values for this, I have the following:

|host_description| - Traffic - |query_ifName| - |query_ifAlias|

which displays the hostname/interface name/interface alias on the graphs.

The problem I am facing is that the 'ifAlias' does not seem to be updated during the polling cycle when the graph data is obtained from the device.

I am trying to have the 'ifAlias' updated on the graphs automatically, so if there is an update to this item on the device, it is reflected in the graph title, on the next graph update. Is this possible ? If not is it possible to write a script that cacti would use to insert data into the rrd file/graph to update this if it does not happen in the regular polling cycle ?

The 'Update Suggested Values' in the graph mgmt page doesnt seem to do this for me.

OS: FreeBSD 5.5 - Cacti 0.86h, but thinking of moving to 0.86i

Thanks

Mark
mpb

Post by mpb »

hi again

fixed my own issue - you have to click the green circle to reload the updated data from the device, and only then should you 're-apply names', since otherwise the non-updated names will be re-applied which is quite useless.

the documentation needs some updating, since there are so many little snippets of knowledge missing.

cheers
BelgianViking
Cacti User

Post by BelgianViking »

Yes indeed, I have a similar issue with VPN tunnel stats which stop updating. It must be possible to trigger such "Reload Data Query" command externally (by a cron job) to avoid all these manual interventions in order to keep Cacti going, no ?
[size=75][color=#EE5019]| Cacti 0.8.6g | MySQL 4.1.14 w Query Cache | Net-SNMP 5.2.1 | IIS 6 | fast-cgi | PHP 5.0.3 | RRDtool 1.2.9 | Windows 2003 Server SP1 | Cactid 0.8.6f |
| Dell 2450 - 2x P3 733 MHz, 1GB RAM |[/size][/color]
gandalf
Developer

Re: updating ifAlias on graphs

Post by gandalf »

mpb wrote:the documentation needs some updating, since there are so many little snippets of knowledge missing.

cheers
Please feel free to comment or request for comments at the very first link of my signature
Reinhard
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

BelgianViking wrote:Yes indeed, I have a similar issue with VPN tunnel stats which stop updating. It must be possible to trigger such "Reload Data Query" command externally (by a cron job) to avoid all these manual interventions in order to keep Cacti going, no ?
This is available already: see poller_reindex_hosts.php. Should be called for specific devices only, it takes "some" time to complete ...
Reinhard