Cactid v0.6.8i SNMP version

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

swinn

Cactid v0.6.8i SNMP version

Post by swinn »

After upgrading to Cactid 0.6.8i, Cactid now fails to run properly and the following is what is logged:

10/22/2006 10:30:01 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] ERROR: SNMP Library Version Mismatch (5.1-pre1a vs 5.1.1)

I'm not sure what SNMP library it is referring to.

Running Cacti 0.6.8i under WinXP SP2. Cygwin 1.5.21-1, PHP 4.4.4, Apache 2.0.59. Net-SNMP 5.3.1 was installed and I uninstalled it to see if it would make any difference but the same problem continued.

It was working fine with 0.8.6g and the last beta of 0.6.8i.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Hmm, guess the devs added some additional version checking into this last release.

What SNMP Utility Version do you have selected in cacti?
In cacti's paths, do you have all the various net-snmp exe paths properly filled out?
swinn

Post by swinn »

The selected SNMP Utility is NET-SNMP 5.x. All paths are filled out and valid.

It seems that if NET-SNMP was the problem then the error would go away when I removed NET-SNMP since it isn't necessary. But the same error was given with it removed. I reinstalled NET-SNMP 5.3.1 and got the same error.

I am now using the last beta of Cactid 0.6.8i which works fine.
swinn

Post by swinn »

This is what it says when debug logging is on:

10/23/2006 04:57:41 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] ERROR: SNMP Library Version Mismatch (5.1-pre1a vs 5.1.1)
10/23/2006 04:57:41 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] DEBUG: SNMP Library Version is 5.1.1
10/23/2006 04:57:41 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] DEBUG: SNMP Header Version is 5.1-pre1a
10/23/2006 04:57:41 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] CACTID: Initializing Net-SNMP API
swinn

Post by swinn »

Well I guess nevermind. I decided to compile my own instead of using the pre-built binary available on the website. So far it's working.
GS

Post by GS »

Receive same error:ERROR: SNMP Library Version Mismatch (5.1-pre1a vs 5.1.1) cactid 0.8.6i (latest binary)

Running Cacti 0.6.8i under Win2K. PHP 5.1.6 , Apache 2.0.59. Net-SNMP 5.3.1

Latest beta does not work anyway

@swinn: pls can you provide your recompiled version of cactid
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Install net-snmp 5.2.x and I think this problem will go away. This checking was placed in the code to prevent changes in net-snmp header's between versions from impacting the net-snmp libraries.

In other words, in the future, when you update net-snmp's shared libraries, you will likely need to recompile cactid, which I don't see as a problem. I would rather rebuild Cactid than suffer from segfaults without any idea of why.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
GS

Post by GS »

Installed net-snmp 5.2.1 still same error. Installing other versions of net-snmp 5.3.x , 5.2.x brings snmp lib error.

Can you provide working cactid for net-snmp 5.3.x ?

thnx,
GS
swinn

Post by swinn »

Below is the cactid.exe I compiled yesterday with cygwin 1.5.21 and net-snmp 5.3.1. Also below is the cygwin 1.5.21 dll.

This fixed the problems I encountered above with my setup. No guarantee it will fix yours :)
Attachments
Cygwin.zip
Cygwin 1.5.21 DLL
(701.6 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
cactid.zip
Cactid 0.8.6i compiled with: Cygwin 1.5.21, Net-SNMP 5.3.1
(637.48 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Last edited by swinn on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Cool. I ran into compiles problems with the latest BASH and had to run dos2unix for some reason. Very odd.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
swinn

Post by swinn »

TheWitness wrote:Cool. I ran into compiles problems with the latest BASH and had to run dos2unix for some reason. Very odd.
First time I extracted the source within Windows and had to run d2u, but then on my dev machine I just extracted the source within Cygwin and it worked fine without it.
GS

Post by GS »

great thnx - binary does not work without cygwin

so one question regarding cactid and cygwin:

cactid 0.8.6g worked on win2000 just with binary and cygwin.dll without cygwin installed.

For new cactid binary release (0.8.6.i) i need cygwin?
Cacti 0.8.6i Time:254.2784 Method:cactid Processes:15 Threads:1 Hosts:79 HostsPerProcess:6 DataSources:3511 RRDsProcessed:1579

problem is: every time cactid spawns also the sh.exe thread is started - in my case i can just run "one" thread in cacti - more than one means cactid and sh.exe stops

so any explanation about "Cactid with/without Cygwin" ?
using cactid for a short period and it would be smart to use just binary-dll package

regards,
GS
swinn

Post by swinn »

I edited my post above and included the cygwin dll for the version that was used to compile it. That may help the problem you are having.

I have not tried running cactid without cygwin being installed so I'm no help there.
GS

Post by GS »

Probably BSOD2600 or TheWitness can give Information regarding my questions:

-Cactid with /without Cygwin (0.8.6g worked stable without cygwin) when cygwin is required / how to get cactid working without cygwin ?
-sh.exe - previous cactid versions showed also a problem to work with treads (more than one cause process hang)

so current status for cactidi on my machine without cygwin:
binary-dll package does not work (some dlls are missing, after copy dlls perl does not start)

with cygwin: not stable enough in production

it would be great to have again working cactid binary without cygwin - 0.8.6i seems to handle recaching better

btw - Cacti and this amazing community is great

thnx in advance for all suggestions and Information,
GS
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Well, raX build the binary and did not include the sh.exe and a few other neccessary modules. There is a problem with the latest that required some mods. He should change the link to the latest, if he has not already done so. If not, here is the build that should be there by now. It contains all the modules if you don't have cygwin installed.

TheWitness
Attachments
cacti-cactid-0.8.6i-cygwin-1.5.21.zip
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 1381 times