weathermap displays wrong units?

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tdjb

weathermap displays wrong units?

Post by tdjb »

We are having a small issue. I've tried both the "bits" and "unformatted" values for BWLABEL on a link but the values that are show in weathermap do not match what is shown in the rrd graphs. We are using generic snmp oid's for our data, but the rrd shows them correctlyl (40 and 40 in this case). However weathermap is showing the values as a number in the 300's (usually around 320).
Now these values do change with rrd data so that makes me think it's getting the right data, just not putting it on the map correctly.
Doing just an snmpget on these oid's you get the same data that the rrd graph's show (40 usually) so I'm not sure what's going on.
Any ideas?
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: weathermap displays wrong units?

Post by Howie »

tdjb wrote:We are having a small issue. I've tried both the "bits" and "unformatted" values for BWLABEL on a link but the values that are show in weathermap do not match what is shown in the rrd graphs. We are using generic snmp oid's for our data, but the rrd shows them correctlyl (40 and 40 in this case). However weathermap is showing the values as a number in the 300's (usually around 320).
Now these values do change with rrd data so that makes me think it's getting the right data, just not putting it on the map correctly.
Doing just an snmpget on these oid's you get the same data that the rrd graph's show (40 usually) so I'm not sure what's going on.
Any ideas?
The standard interface OIDs (ifTable) use byte counters instead of bit-counters. Weathermap takes the value from the RRD and multiplies it by 8 to get bits.

Either: your standard counter really is the standard counter, in which case you are graphing bytes and not bits, which would account for the x8 difference.
Or: you are using a not-so-standard counter that is really in bits. This may well not work right now.

This part of weathermap is not so great, I admit, though. I'm looking at ways to get the formatting of the numbers and the processing (like x8) to be seperate without making it all complicated.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
tdjb

Re: weathermap displays wrong units?

Post by tdjb »

Howie wrote:
tdjb wrote:We are having a small issue. I've tried both the "bits" and "unformatted" values for BWLABEL on a link but the values that are show in weathermap do not match what is shown in the rrd graphs. We are using generic snmp oid's for our data, but the rrd shows them correctlyl (40 and 40 in this case). However weathermap is showing the values as a number in the 300's (usually around 320).
Any ideas?
The standard interface OIDs (ifTable) use byte counters instead of bit-counters. Weathermap takes the value from the RRD and multiplies it by 8 to get bits.

Either: your standard counter really is the standard counter, in which case you are graphing bytes and not bits, which would account for the x8 difference.
Or: you are using a not-so-standard counter that is really in bits. This may well not work right now.

This part of weathermap is not so great, I admit, though. I'm looking at ways to get the formatting of the numbers and the processing (like x8) to be seperate without making it all complicated.
Thanks for the quick response. I think in this case I might have the not-so-standard counter that is really in bits. We are using some equipment that is not really "mainstream" BUT this will be all we are monitoring. Since this product is all we will be keeping tabs on, can I make weathermap not multiply the values by 8? Or is that a pretty in-depth process?
Thanks again for the help

**EDIT**
Actually, I think I found the line in Weathermap.class.php
I'll see if I can't mess it up haha...
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

Ok, so that worked, now I just need to figure out how to get the display to drop everything after the decimal point :)
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

tdjb wrote:Ok, so that worked, now I just need to figure out how to get the display to drop everything after the decimal point :)

agghhh.
So it displays correctly now, but the colors are not showing up. I assume that's because the snmp oid I am using returns the data in megabits NOT bits like weathermap is looking for?
tdjb

Post by tdjb »

Nice discussion here haha :D
After some "creative" editing it looks like I've got it working as we want it.
Thanks for your help as well as for the program!
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

tdjb wrote:Nice discussion here haha :D
After some "creative" editing it looks like I've got it working as we want it.
Thanks for your help as well as for the program!
Cool :-) Glad you got it working in the end. I'm planning on making this stuff easier (i.e. no need to change the code) in the future...
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)