Poller Timed Out

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

doublek

Poller Timed Out

Post by doublek »

Were currently pulling ~ 31000 differnt requests from 598 different hosts and were starting to see the poller timeout. I beleive our current settings are optimal but if someone could verify it would be appreciated.

10/17/2006 10:39:54 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Maximum runtime of 292 seconds exceeded. Exiting.
10/17/2006 10:39:54 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:292.8391 Method:cactid Processes:4 Threads:20 Hosts:598 HostsPerProcess:150 DataSources:75563 RRDsProcessed:0

10/17/2006 10:40:00 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] ERROR: Cactid Timed Out While Processing Hosts Internal
Attachments
Current Poller Settings
Current Poller Settings
Cacti Poller Settings.JPG (201.46 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What version of Cactid? It looks as though it crashed, or you have run out of PHP memory. What is your PHP memory set to in php.ini? Set it much higher if it's below 32mbytes.

I would recommend Cactid 0.8.6i ASAP.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
doublek

Cactid Upgrades

Post by doublek »

We are currently running with Cactid 0.8.6g and in the process of upgrading to Cactid 0.8.6i. Yet we had a hardware failuare Saturday on one of our Cacti servers, so the last few days have been troubleshooting the poller on our Apache Server until we can rebuild the Poller server.

Setup = 3 servers
1 - Poller
1 - Apache Web Server
1 - MySQL db - turning into a cluster

When we started the poller up on our Apache Web Server we have run into nothting but troubles. For some reason our polls have become way incosistant and now one poller seems to be timing out. We also have XML templates that exist / verified permissions as well, yet Cacti won't recognize them. Were working on tracking down the erros and I've attached what we've found so far.

Also our PHP memory is set to 1024M
Attachments
cacti-log-errors.txt
Cacti Logs
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
doublek

Could not Loacte XML file.

Post by doublek »

XML Errors
Attachments
cacti-xml-errrors.JPG
cacti-xml-errrors.JPG (85.97 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
doublek

Sorry about the Image

Post by doublek »

Sorry about the images. I forgot the alt key on my print screen. If it needs removed I can repost the image.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Whatever your system writer is, it's hosing your system up. Also, it looks like you did not bring your resources directory over from the other server.

It also looks like you have some hokey scripts or somehing causing one of your cactid processes to languish.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Also, the ping timeout values are in Milliseconds. 3 is rather low.

TheWitness

doublek

Ping Timout

Post by doublek »

I've adjusted the ping timout and installed CACTID 0.8.6i. Yet were still seeing the same issues. For some reason one poller always seems to exceed the maximum timeout.

See Attached Logs

Is their a table inside the DB that dictactes which poller to use for which device / host?

I've noticed the errors with some of the scripts aswell and were working on correcting them.

Side note:
To install cactid on 6.1-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p6 we had to chage the following line in the configure file as well as the cactid.conf.dist instances

Orig:
CFLAGS="-I$SNMP_INCDIR -I$SNMP_INCDIR $CFLAGS"

Changed:
CFLAGS="-I$SNMP_INCDIR -I$SNMP_INCDIR/.. $CFLAGS"
Attachments
cacti-poller-info.txt
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
doublek

Resources Files

Post by doublek »

We've verified all the resource files and have even tried 777 access on the whole dir.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Also, verify that your RRDtool path is accurate. None of the rrdfiles are updating for some reason.

TheWitness

doublek

RRDtool Path

Post by doublek »

Will verify the path tonight and also the version.

One other item we thought about was some of our current cacti directories have simlinks so were going to verify the permissions on them as well.