0.8.3a fresh install problems

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

golemb

Post by golemb »

Coeus wrote:Golemb,

It sounds very much like you have the same issue as me. i've found the folowing further symptoms.

1) The rrd file for disk space is never created.
2) The SNMP Poller cache is missing the OID for hard disk space, for all generic SNMP queries.

Looking at the database and doing: select * from host_snmp_cache; I get

| host_id | snmp_query_id | field_name | field_value | snmp_index | oid |
| 6 |8 | hrStorageDescr | H: | 7 | |

Golemb - do you see the same symptoms?(ie no oid in the cache)

raX - Would manually instering the oid into this table fix the problem? Which file are the rrds created?

Thanks

Carl
Carl

Yes oid are blank for my setup as well. Some of the other polling hosts for CPU and logged in users have values in the oid field.
pbulteel
Cacti User

Don't want to add more wood to the fire...

Post by pbulteel »

I seem to have a problem where the partitions don't seem to show up. When I create or edit a host (polling host) I don't see any partition or disk information. I tried the ucd/net and the regular SNMP - Get partition info but neither works.

This is a new install. Should I post this as a new topic?
uname -a
golemb

Post by golemb »

pbulteel wrote:I seem to have a problem where the partitions don't seem to show up. When I create or edit a host (polling host) I don't see any partition or disk information. I tried the ucd/net and the regular SNMP - Get partition info but neither works.

This is a new install. Should I post this as a new topic?
pbulteel

Do the following code change and your partitions information will show up in the polling host. This was posted earlier in this thread. This fixed the problem when polling w2k boxes. I haven't tried polling linux boxes. Rax suggested this code change, worked for me. I will assume you are using cacti 8.3a.

Bill
raX wrote:Try this. Open up 'include/functions.php' in a text editor and go to line 548. You will see these two lines:

Code: Select all

$path = str_replace("|path_php_binary
	|", read_config_option("path_php_binary"), $path);
change these two lines, into:

$path = str_replace("|path_php_binary|", read_config_option("path_php_binary"), $path);
-Ian
pbulteel
Cacti User

Thanks but I had aleady tried it.

Post by pbulteel »

I made the change to the functions.php file first even before I posted... I also made the change to the database.php file which is in another post. I should have mentioned that. And yes, I am using. 8.3a. I've also noticed that I have a host that doesn't show the hme0 or loopback interface.

I'm still looking around to see if I notice anything in any other post I might have missed.
uname -a
raX
Lead Developer

Post by raX »

Just another suggestion which another user pointed out to me. There are two affected files, patches for both are below.

scripts/query_host_cpu.php

--- query_host_cpu.php.old	2003-09-10 19:26:30.000000000 -0400
+++ query_host_cpu.php.new	2003-09-10 19:27:02.000000000 -0400
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 <?php

-include("../include/config.php");
-include("../include/snmp_functions.php");
+include(dirname(__FILE__) . "/../include/config.php");
+include(dirname(__FILE__) . "/../include/snmp_functions.php");

$oids = array(
 	"index" => ".1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1",
scripts/query_host_partitions.php

--- query_host_partitions.php.old	2003-09-10 19:26:10.000000000 -0400
+++ query_host_partitions.php.new	2003-09-10 19:27:20.000000000 -0400
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 <?php

-include("../include/config.php");
-include("../include/snmp_functions.php");
+include(dirname(__FILE__) . "/../include/config.php");
+include(dirname(__FILE__) . "/../include/snmp_functions.php");

$oids = array(
 	"total" => ".1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.5",
-Ian
primary

Post by primary »

great! I've tried all suggestions in this thread, but this last one made my cpu and partition stuff work.
Thanks raX, and thanks for doing a kickass jon with cacti!

/primary
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

not sure if this has come up yet, but the "Host MIB - Hard Drive Space" data template (on a fresh 0.8.3a install) contained the data sources "hdd_used" and "hdd_used" instead of "hdd_total" and "hdd_used"...

I installed 0.8.2a and it was correct in that version.
Coeus
Cacti User

Post by Coeus »

Hey acrophile :)

That fix now creates the rrd files for me, and removes all errors from when cmd.php runs.

I'm getting closer.

Running the graph manually on the rrd:

/usr/local/rrdtool/bin/rrdtool graph - --imgformat=PNG --start=-86400 --title="Fremantle - Used Space - C: Label:OS  Se" --rigid --base=1000 --height=120 --width=500 --alt-autoscale-max --lower-limit=0 --vertical-label="bytes" DEF:a="/fremantle_hdd_used_121.rrd":hdd_used:AVERAGE AREA:a#002A97:"Total"  GPRINT:a:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s"  GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s"  GPRINT:a:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"  AREA:#F51D30:"Used"  GPRINT::LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s"  GPRINT::AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s"  GPRINT::MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"
We get:
ERROR: can't parse '#F51D30:Used'
Changing AREA:#F51D30:"Used" to AREA:a#F51D30:"Used"
We get:

ERROR: can't parse ':LAST: Current\:%8.2lf %s'
The GPRINT:: is the problem, and i've no idea how to fix.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks

Carl
Coeus
Cacti User

Post by Coeus »

Well Done acrophile!

Looks like that data template was hosed, which in turn affected a bunch of other things - I fixed that, recreated the graphs and stuff now appears to be working.

Thanks to all,

Carl
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

yeah, I think I finally got mine working... too bad I had to hose my entire installation to do so, hehe... I'm gonna back this up if I ever have to start over again. :)

now I just have to get cactid to work since with five 48 port switches, three pix's and two routers, I know cmd.php is going to go over 5 minutes. :(
eyechart

Post by eyechart »

acrophile wrote:now I just have to get cactid to work since with five 48 port switches, three pix's and two routers, I know cmd.php is going to go over 5 minutes. :(
Read this thread for some information on how to get cactid working (I am assuming you are running on unix or linux)

http://www.raxnet.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=2353

-ec
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

yeah, I haven't even tried to tackle it yet... I just started using cacti a few days ago and after all this time just getting it up and running with most of my stuff I'm afraid to go changing things again, hehehe...

got a few other bugs to work out too... my local linux memory usage stats seem to be way off... *shrug*
irishpadres

Still having problems

Post by irishpadres »

I've made the code change to functions.php, query_host_[cpu|partition].php, and changed hdd_used to hdd_total in the data template and I still don't get any partitions displayed. I look at the SNMP cache and the OIDs are blank for the disk query. What am I missing?

This is a fresh install of 0.8.3a and I'm trying to query some linux boxes.
Coeus
Cacti User

Post by Coeus »

I assume you are using generic snmp query to poll the linux boxen.

I've had better luck using the ucd/net-snmp query for linux hosts.

Make sure that you have the correct snmp version selected in Console-> Cacti settings

Carl
pbulteel
Cacti User

disk partition information enabled in snmp.conf?

Post by pbulteel »

I think I ran into the same problem... I wanted partition information but realized that I don't have information enabled in the snmp.conf file. I know it's one of those things, but I know if it weren't because I read the file and realized I didn't have it enabled.

I will enable it on mine and see if that's what was causing my problem... lost interest in seeing the partition info so I didn't so it before, but this could be a good excuse. =)
uname -a