Does Cacti support Oracle?

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

varma

Does Cacti support Oracle?

Post by varma »

Hi,

Does Cacti support Oracle instead of MySQL ?

Thanks in Advance.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Nope...

Mysql is the only database we currently support.

There are plans for multiple database support, but those are in the distant future.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
Crescens

Post by Crescens »

*push* (the anual request ;))

is nearly one year the "distant future"?

As I can see currently it is still only Mysql.
I need Orcle or Mssql Support (big company only big databases :().

Do you plan to switch over to mdb or some pdo-* modules to keep it simple or do you implement your own one?

Should I better ask next year? :D

I`m, asking becouse I want to use Cacti in a 'bigger' environment. I got it working on Solaris but I have not many arguments why we should use a third database application :(

/Edit: while continuing searching I found some old Posts.
Is this Port still active?
Does Oracle still work?
Toons59

Post by Toons59 »

*push*

... almost one year later :wink:

Hi,

Do you have any good news for MSSQL or another DB users ?

Thks
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Nope. It's a matter of how often this feature is asked for. Currently, there's not much attention on it. And, beg your pardon, I've (we've) got no testing system neither for M$SQL nor for $$$ORACLE$$$
Perhaps, PDO support would be an option, but I fear will will guarantee support for mysql only even in this case.
Reinhard
Joop

Post by Joop »

gandalf wrote:Nope. It's a matter of how often this feature is asked for. Currently, there's not much attention on it. And, beg your pardon, I've (we've) got no testing system neither for M$SQL nor for $$$ORACLE$$$
Perhaps, PDO support would be an option, but I fear will will guarantee support for mysql only even in this case.
Reinhard
Well atleast for Oracle there is no excuse since you can get a version that doesn't cost $$$$ but does almost all the things the $$$$ version does. It does way more then currently used in cacti or available from mysql.
Get Oracle-XE from otn.oracle.com since its free.

I think MS has something similar

Time permitting and depending on getting hints from the forum, I'm willing to work on Oracle support.

Joop
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, the primary issue is time and lots of different setups to be tested. PostGres was often asked for, now Oracle and my company loves DB2.
Cacti currently uses it's own version of ADODB abstraction layer; unfortunately some commands seem not to work with PostGres without modification. There has already been a contribution to fix this; but time did not yet permit to include and test it.
In general, ADODB (or perhaps some different abstraction layer) will be the base. Don't know what this will mean to Oracle
Reinhard
streaker69
Cacti Pro User

Post by streaker69 »

In regards to a testing system for MSSQL, you can download the free version of of SQL Express 2005 and it should be identical to SQL 2005 Enterprise, minus some advanced features like replication and some others. You can run SQL Express on WinXP or Win2k workstation which should provide enough to at least to development and testing.
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7d
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.4
[b]Poller Type[/b] - Cactid v
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
[b]PHP[/b] - 5.2.9
[b]MySQL[/b] - 5.0.45-log
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.3.0
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.3.2.2
[b]Plugins[/b]PHP Network Managing v0.6.1, Global Plugin Settings v0.6,thold v0.4.1,XMLPort v0.3.5,CactiCam v0.1.5,NetTools v0.1.5,pollperf v0.32,RRD Cleaner v1.1,sqlqueries v0.2,superlinks v0.8,syslog v0.5.2,update v0.4,discovery v0.9,zond v0.34a,hostinfo v0.2,Bloom v0.6.5,mactrack v1.1,weathermap v0.96a,mobile v0.1
AdamKadmon

Nudge, Nudge

Post by AdamKadmon »

Hey there! Hope this isn't a dead topic, but I've been given the blessing of my bosses to do whatever is necessary to get cacti working with an Oracle backend and I'm wondering what I can do to help in this regard? Has anyone actually made this work with Oracle? I've looked at cacti.sql, and according to my DBA it shouldn't be to much of a problem to make the SQL work with Oracle, but I'm curious as to cmd.php and the queries that are hard-coded within, so I figure instead of re-inventing things that those who would know better have already invented, I'd first ask.

Thanks!

A
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: Nudge, Nudge

Post by Howie »

AdamKadmon wrote:Hey there! Hope this isn't a dead topic, but I've been given the blessing of my bosses to do whatever is necessary to get cacti working with an Oracle backend and I'm wondering what I can do to help in this regard? Has anyone actually made this work with Oracle? I've looked at cacti.sql, and according to my DBA it shouldn't be to much of a problem to make the SQL work with Oracle, but I'm curious as to cmd.php and the queries that are hard-coded within, so I figure instead of re-inventing things that those who would know better have already invented, I'd first ask.
There are hardcoded queries in pretty much every page of the Cacti php app. It's not just a case of moving to a generic database-access layer, but of making all the actual SQL into either generic ANSI SQL or using some kind of ORM-style tool to get rid of the queries altogether (but slower). The good news there is that Mysql historically hasn't supported stored-procedures, triggers or any of the other fancy things that MS, Oracle, IBM etc support, so the job should be relatively straightforward (not quick).

And then there are the plugins... :-)
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
AdamKadmon

Post by AdamKadmon »

Ok, at least there is some good news in that regard. I will update with the results of my testing.

Thanks for the quick response!

A
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

As a matter of fact, on our 2009 meeting we decided to go for PHP PDO instead of ADODB. But this abstraction layer requires PHP V5.x
Unfortunately, this code level has not gained enough attention to include it into upcoming 088 release of cacti.
My personal plan is to deprecate PHP 4.x with Cacti 088.
So PDO will not be used before 089; perhaps later. We currently have no plans to run PDO (for PHP 5 users) _and_ ADODB (for PHP 4 users) in parallel to ease the conversion.
If anyone provides code for that approach, don't hesitate to contact us.

R.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

There is a fork the we have committed to SVN that has all the code changes to support Cacti on Oracle. It's under the forks section, it would likely be a couple of days work to bring it up to speed. Right now I'm looking forward and this is not quite a priority for me either. But the fork is there. It was designed from Postgres, but will work for Oracle too.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
gsaray101
Cacti User

Re: Does Cacti support Oracle?

Post by gsaray101 »

is there any new information on this topic? can cacti work on Oracle as a backend? what about spine?