[SOLVED] Alerts (mails) when hosts are down

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Tekk

[SOLVED] Alerts (mails) when hosts are down

Post by Tekk »

Hi everybody !

I want to know if someone find a tip to have alerts (mails with Thold if possible) when hosts are down.

I'm using cactid as poller and I'm in FreeBSD and running cacti 0.8.6h. I read that it is only possible if we use cmd.php, :( but I hope someone can help me...

Thanks
Last edited by Tekk on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
benzopila

Re: Alerts (mails) when hosts are down

Post by benzopila »

Tekk wrote:Hi everybody !

I want to know if someone find a tip to have alerts (mails with Thold if possible) when hosts are down.

I'm using cactid as poller and I'm in FreeBSD and running cacti 0.8.6h. I read that it is only possible if we use cmd.php, :( but I hope someone can help me...

Thanks
But it is realy work only if you use cmd.php.
It's autor Jimmy says so:
http://cactiusers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1694#1694
Tekk

Re: Alerts (mails) when hosts are down

Post by Tekk »

benzopila wrote:But it is realy work only if you use cmd.php.
It's autor Jimmy says so:
http://cactiusers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1694#1694
I know that benzopila :wink: . My request was about using cactid as poller. I just want to have a mail when my hosts are down.

Thanks
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

The host down information is being stripped out and moved to a different plugin, as its not really a "threshold" problem. The problem is that I would have to patch cactid itself, and then you would have to recompile it inorder to get it to work with thold, which is not gonna happen.

Instead, moving it to a different plugin (monitor) which actually monitors down hosts, then we don't have to rely on the current hooks.
Tekk

Post by Tekk »

cigamit wrote:The host down information is being stripped out and moved to a different plugin, as its not really a "threshold" problem. The problem is that I would have to patch cactid itself, and then you would have to recompile it inorder to get it to work with thold, which is not gonna happen.

Instead, moving it to a different plugin (monitor) which actually monitors down hosts, then we don't have to rely on the current hooks.
Ok I understand cigamit. Thanks.

However, I tried to use monitor version 0.7 and it didn't send me a mail when my hosts are down. I only have the audible alert.
Is it normal ?
benzopila

Post by benzopila »

cigamit wrote:The host down information is being stripped out and moved to a different plugin, as its not really a "threshold" problem. The problem is that I would have to patch cactid itself, and then you would have to recompile it inorder to get it to work with thold, which is not gonna happen.

but my monitor plugin do not send alerts by email. (Am I doing something wrong?)
Or do you mean that this will appear in other folowing versions?

Thanks.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

No, the monitor plugin currently does not send the alerts, you will just have to sit tight until I can get around to it.
Tekk

Post by Tekk »

Ok thanks cigamit.
Decombej

Post by Decombej »

Well, i've got a small workaround, it actually works on my production server:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15631
[[color=darkblue]Debian 3.1 | Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | Mysql 4.0.24 | PHP 4.3 with eAccelerator v0.9.4 | Apache 1.3 | Plugin Arch...[/color]]
Tekk

Post by Tekk »

It works ! Thank you very much Decombej ! Great ! :D
Decombej

Post by Decombej »

:D
[[color=darkblue]Debian 3.1 | Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | Mysql 4.0.24 | PHP 4.3 with eAccelerator v0.9.4 | Apache 1.3 | Plugin Arch...[/color]]
benzopila

Post by benzopila »

Decombej wrote::D[
I wanted to receive only alerts for down devices that are Monitored with the monitor plugin
it's interesting, but not useful.:)
If I'm monitoring thresholds(by Thold) I'm monitoring host UP/DOWN(by monitor). No Thold whithout Monitor.
I don't understand why do you need to monitor tresholds whithout monitoring host UP/DOWN?
:o :roll:
But email sending by monitor is necessity
Decombej

Post by Decombej »

I just wanted to receive alerts about only some devices, not all of them (because i have about 800 devices, but only a 100 of them interested me).

you can still edit the database query to receive an alert for every host like that:

Code: Select all

$hoststatusarray=db_fetch_assoc("SELECT status, hostname, description, id, status_event_count FROM host") or die (mysql_error() ); 
BTW, i realized that if you don't have any Threshold to check, it won't send alerts anymore, so set at least one.
benzopila

Post by benzopila »

I think I have understand.
You monitor 800 hosts and do not need alers from them all, but 100 hosts of then you do.

But you also monitor another 700 hosts. And sometimes look at graphs to take more control of network.

We do not doing so at our network. We monitor only hosts that we need.
Decombej

Post by Decombej »

For my part, i use a lot cacti for doing stats about servers, it's a really great tool for making previsional statistics.