Host template for Compaq (HP) Insight Manager.

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Utildayael

Post by Utildayael »

OK this is weird. Works fine on a ML370 G4 at this site as well as a DL380 G1. However having no luck at all with a Proliant 5500, DL380 G1, and 2x ML370 G4's at another site on a different install of Cacti.

Weird. The SNMP queries are returning 0 rows as well.
sylvainouellet

Post by sylvainouellet »

When I look to this graph(Host template for Compaq (HP) Insight Manager), the vertical number is twice than the values. Can someone explain me how to fix that?
(Sometime I'll get 200% usage on a monoproc)

Thank You
Attachments
graph_image.php.png
graph_image.php.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 20912 times
mgb
Cacti User

Post by mgb »

You could create and apply a CDEF to the graph with "divide by 2". Is it possible that you are graphing the result of a multi threaded processor?

Michael
Erik.H

Post by Erik.H »

no, the results are stacked. If your proc was pegged at %100 for a while, you could get %300 utilization. Change the graph template if you don't like that.
Frater

Post by Frater »

Hello.

I am trying to improve this insight manager script in order to measure physical and page memory but I am running into problems with the XML Queries.

Doing a walk from .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.13 on any compaq with the insight agent installed I get four fields containing:
cpqHoPhysicalMemorySize(int)
cpqHoPhysicalMemoryFree(int)
cpqHoPagingMemorySize(int)
cpqHoPagingMemoryFree(int)
There is no index for this segment, but all values can be found as the OID:s .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.13.X.0 (X=1-4)

However, I cant figure out how to formulate an XML query to pick up the data, the response I get on the verbose debug is:

+ Running data query [13].
+ Found type = '3' [snmp query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/opt/statistics/resource/snmp_queries/jer_compaq_mem.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing SNMP walk for list of indexes @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.13'
+ Found data query XML file at '/opt/statistics/resource/snmp_queries/jer_compaq_mem.xml'

Presumably I am doing an elementary error here and should be whipped at dawn in front of a crowd of jeering sysadmins...
Attachments
jer_compaq_mem.xml
My humble attempt at XML scripting :P
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
libsys

Post by libsys »

I have a query regarding these scripts. I've had net-snmp installed for a while and I've been using that as my snmp agent to return snmp data to Cacti. Since I've been trying to get temperature readings from my server (HP Proliant DL380 G4 running RHEL AS 3) into Cacti, I've installed HP Systems Insight Manager and the updated MIBS. However, it looks like I now have to install HPASM, which appears to want to install HP's own SNMP agent.

Do I really have to install another agent to use instead of net-snmp? I spent a while getting net-snmp working so I really don't want to have to go through that all again with another agent.

I'm fairly new to this SNMP stuff so if I'm going in the wrong direction here please feel free to point it out.

Thanks,
Guy
jkstraw

Post by jkstraw »

libsys wrote:I have a query regarding these scripts. I've had net-snmp installed for a while and I've been using that as my snmp agent to return snmp data to Cacti. Since I've been trying to get temperature readings from my server (HP Proliant DL380 G4 running RHEL AS 3) into Cacti, I've installed HP Systems Insight Manager and the updated MIBS. However, it looks like I now have to install HPASM, which appears to want to install HP's own SNMP agent.

Do I really have to install another agent to use instead of net-snmp? I spent a while getting net-snmp working so I really don't want to have to go through that all again with another agent.

I'm fairly new to this SNMP stuff so if I'm going in the wrong direction here please feel free to point it out.

Thanks,
Guy
Hi Guy,

I sent you PM earlier today to see if you had made progress - but in the meantime I have had success in getting the temperature values for my Proliant DL385 servers graphed. Here is what I had to do.

1. Make sure your SNMP service is configured correctly (community, version, allowed hosts etc)
2. Make sure HP SIM is reflecting the SNMP configuration correctly (I am running Windows 2003 R2 and the SNMP values in the Management Homepage for the Servers are NOT the same as those for the SNMP service) - so double check.
3. Here are the OIDs for the temps (There should work on all Proliant servers....I found them under a post for a older 350.

CPU1 Temp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.1
IO Board Temp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.2
CPU2 Temp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.4
PSU Temp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.5

I too have only been using Cacti/RRD for about a week so I don't know much of anything - I am simply using the generic SNMP OID templates.

If I can ever figure out how to make and export template I will post them - but results are my priority right now.

Good luck,

jk
mgb
Cacti User

Post by mgb »

@Libsys

You don't need a special agent on your monitoring machine to use the cacti template. Just use the one cacti needs or cacti might fail to retrieve the snmp info.
Also, cacti is not using mib files so you don't have to import these files either.

Try to walk the snmp tree to see if there are enterprise specific SNMP entries.

Michael
jkstraw

Post by jkstraw »

Hi - as I stated above I am a newbie to cacti, but have had some success setting up graphs for my switches and CPU temp for our servers using the generic SNMP OID template.

I just spent the last several hours trying to get the cacti_host_template_compaq_general_971.xml template working without success.

I will try and provide useful information to but please feel free to reply with additional infomation I may not be aware of.

Systems being monitored:

- HP Proliant DL385 G1
- both single and dual processor servers (AMD 64 Opteron)
- varried amounts of ram and disk
- Windows 2003 R2 (x64 and 32 bit) and RHEL ESu4
- HP System Insight Manager 5.0 with Service Pack 5 (incl. updated mibs)
- Proliant support pack 7.51

Steps taken:

- copied data queries to resource/snmp_queries/
- made sure permissions and ownership were correct, renamed files (ie, disk -> Disk, etc)
- Imported the template
- created device (assigned host template)
- clicked 'create graphs'
- Selected interface graph (applicable to my box), CPU (x2), Diskspace(x1) and Temp Health(x4)
- Clicked "create"
- Confirmed the 'vertical label' for the CPU graphs

The is the output:

+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - CPU-0
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - CPU-1
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Disk - C: [NTFS]
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Temp - Sensor1 (type 6)
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Temp - Sensor2 (type 5)
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Temp - Sensor4 (type 6)
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Temp - Sensor5 (type 10)
+ Created graph: SERVERNAME - Traffic - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (HP NC7782 Gigab)

After cron job runs the only file created in the /rra/ directory is:

SERVERNAME_traffic_in_782.rrd

Graph Management shows all the graphs I created and the debug show correctly - but with the "ERROR: opening '/usr/share/cacti/rra/SERVERNAME_cmpq_temp_774.rrd': No such file or directory" which makes sense since the files didn't get created.

To troubleshoot I have gone to the "Data Sources" section and copied and pasted the debugging output and run it manually from the command line. At this point my graph gets created - but data does not get graphed (ie. nan)

I have also gone through all of the xml scripts and tested the OIDs to ensure they are correct - I cannot say I completely understand how the SNMP indexing works very well - but the OIDs are correct in as much as they jive with what Insight Manager is telling me.

I hope I am not missing something really simple (remember - newbie here). If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.

Cheers,

jk

P.S. checked logs too - no errors reported....should have mentioned that earlier :-)
RubberDuck

No .RRD files created

Post by RubberDuck »

I have the same problem. Also all files created but the .rrd files are missing. Can anyone help who i can create these files?

Thanks
maximusx

Post by maximusx »

can somebody tell me where i can find the Compaq Insight Management Software for use on FreeBSD 6.1. I'm running a DL360.

thanks in advance,
Cova

Post by Cova »

As far as the temp sensors are concerned - you can match up the Location field in that data query (which is called Locale by the insight agents) with this information from the health MIB.

cpqHeTemperatureLocale OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX INTEGER {
other(1),
unknown(2),
system(3),
systemBoard(4),
ioBoard(5),
cpu(6),
memory(7),
storage(8),
removableMedia(9),
powerSupply(10),
ambient(11),
chassis(12),
bridgeCard(13)
}

Also - most of the stuff in this template is out of the generic HP Host MIB, which is .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11 There is a LOT of other good stuff in the other HP MIB's - I've got a series of templates and queries and stuff all written, but it's not quite ready for sharing yet. I'll be making a new thread on here when it's all ready.
kohalik_kalamees

Post by kohalik_kalamees »

Hello!
I'm newby in cacti and HPASM. So i have a problem. I would like to moinitor my Logical drives and Physical drives thru CPQIDA-MIB but i could use a little help about Cacti templates for those. Have anybody made already something like this?

There are many interesting values to observe and to make graphs about them. Only problem is i doun't know how.

i would be wery grateful for any kind of help.

Cheers.

EDIT: looks like someone has already done it - http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t ... f8afd58942
ekereb

Post by ekereb »

mgb wrote:Might be that my template is corrupt. There seems to be an issue with import and export when the threshold module has been installed.

When I've fixed this issue i will post a new version.

For now, Just create a new CDEF. I called mine C2F.

Insert the following lines

Item #1 Custom String: 1.8
Item #2 Special Data Source: CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE
Item #3 Operator: *
Item #4 Custom String: 32
Item #5 Operator: +

Open the graph template Compaq - Temperature

Click on each Graph Item and under "CDEF Function" and replace None with C2F (or whatever you called the cdef function).

Change the Vertical Label from Deg C to Fahrenheit.

Done

Michael

:wink:

just to add an other information about conversion.
You can find below printscreen show how to create CDEF to convert Fahrenheit to celsius.
Attachments
cacti_F2C.JPG
cacti_F2C.JPG (34.67 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
phonk

Post by phonk »

The Template works fine.

But on DiskSpace the title on the Graph is not generated completly.

On the Create Graph for this host page, the description is complete but after generating the graph the title is cut off.

This is on a Linux machine.

why ?