problem creating graphs

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

RUM

problem creating graphs

Post by RUM »

Hi,

I'm new to Cacti and I want to graph the interfaces on a Cisco PIX router.

Creating the device is no problem. The SNMP interface statistics are associated as data query, with status success and 21 items and 3 rows. After that I click create graphs and it says they are created. When looking it the graph tab, they appear as broken images. When looking in graph management I can look into the entries and see that there is no inbound/ outbound data source items for use with this graph. Do I have to add these? I can for instance put as inbound data source [hostname] - traffic (traffic_in) and then click save, but he will not keep this setting.

Anyone of you guys have ideas of how I can get this to work?

thanks in advance
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Please post the debug output from the graph view so that we can better help to resolve your issue.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
RUM

Post by RUM »

This is the output from the debug mode:

RRDTool Command:

c:/rrdtool/rrdtool.exe graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="FW-DMZ - Traffic - |query_ifIP| (|query_ifDescr|)" \
--rigid \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="bytes per second" \
--slope-mode \

RRDTool Says:
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Ok, that is not right.

Did you resently import any templates?
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
RUM

Post by RUM »

No I didn't. At least not by myself. I'm replacing someone who installed Cacti. He already created graphs. He also did it for one of the pix routers and for that one it is working. Now I want to create graphs for the other router interfaces, but I can not seem to get it exactly like the one he created.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Please export your Traffic Graph template with deps and post it here.
RUM

Post by RUM »

Attached is the graph template as you asked.
Attachments
cacti_graph_template_interface_traffic_bytessec_total_bandwidth.xml
Graph Template
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
RUM

Post by RUM »

Alright, maybe things will be a bit more clearer after this:

I downloaded today:Cisco Pix - Authenticated VPN Users, here:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t ... cation+pix

I was able to import and after that I:
added the data source to my router
added the graph

After the first polling cycle the rrd file was created and the graph is displayed correctly. I think we can eliminate security issues or faulty installation.

What I'm looking at now is that I think I'm unable to create the datasource for my interface traffic correctly. I can add a source (interface traffic). After that I can not choose an index type or an output type ID in opposition to the already graphed router which has drop down menus there.

Am I missing a step in between that I should follow?

Let me know, I'm confused.

Regards
RUM

Post by RUM »

Now it gets even more confusing.
I can see, when looking in the rra directory, that all the traffic related .rrd files stopped collecting data. Don't know what has changed, but they stopped at the same time, the file hasen't been modified since then.

Anyone, help me?
RUM

Post by RUM »

Anybody?

Here are the entries in my cacti log concerning the last polling cycle:

WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result:
06/27/2006 01:07:19 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[23] DS[253] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result:
06/27/2006 01:07:19 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[23] DS[254] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result:
06/27/2006 01:07:19 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[23] DS[254] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result:
06/27/2006 01:07:38 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[34] DS[373] WARNING: Result from CMD not valid. Partial Result:
06/27/2006 01:07:45 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:104.7254 Method:cmd.php Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:24 HostsPerProcess:24 DataSources:424 RRDsProcessed:283

Maybe someone can see something?

Regards
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Turn the polling level in cacti to debug (Settings | Polling level) for one cycle, wait for Cacti to run, and paste the output of the actual log file (<webroot>/cacti/log/cacti.log). If it contains WEBLOG entries, then don't bother posting since they just clutter up the log. Turn off WEBEVENTS logging and try again.

As for no graphs, make sure you only have one copy of cygwin1.dll on your system. What version of rrdtool are you using?
RUM

Post by RUM »

Hi,

The rrdtool version I am running is v1.2.9. I only have one version of cygwin1.dll. I read in another topic that I should check that. I had 5 versions on my system, I deleted 4 of them and left one in the /cygwin/bin directory. Attached you will find my cacti log file. I only copied the entries of the last polling cycle so you wil have a better overview.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
cacti.txt
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
RUM

Post by RUM »

When looking in the myssql database in the table poller_items, I cannot see the items concerning polling for traffic. I think this also means that's why the traffic graphs aren't updated anymore.

Or am I wrong? If not how can I make them polled again?

Edit: I also read that when you damaged a template, after that clear the poller cache, items may no longer graph? So it's possible that the interface traffic template is damaged. Now what can I try to fix the graphing again?

Already tried to recreate a similar one with the exact same options, but it didn't seem to work. When aplying the data source to a device, the custom data fields says: Data query data sources must be created through New Graphs.

Regards
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Reimport a working traffic template to repair a corrupted one.
RUM

Post by RUM »

Thanks,

After that, will the items be in de poller_items table and the rrd files updated again, thus generating my graphs with the data?

Another thing, I'm thinking that the "interface - traffic" data template is damaged, but when looking in my cacti folders, I cannot find it? Do you know where to look? Sorry if I'm bothering you guys.

regards