Thresholding / Alerting Plugin - Official Q/A Thread

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

cigamit
Developer

Re: Auto create threshold hyperlink

Post by cigamit »

Mikeos wrote:Have installed Thold 0.3.0 without any problems. When I configure a device I don't see the 'auto create thresholds' hyperlink (its doesn't get painted on the screen). Any ideas why ?
Click on the device, and then click the "Create Graphs for this Host" link. You should see it at the top.
Mikeos

Post by Mikeos »

Ok I thought it should be there but I don't see it in my Cacti. Any ideas ??
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Mikeos wrote:Ok I thought it should be there but I don't see it in my Cacti. Any ideas ??

Only other likely explaination is that your graphs_new.php is not patched correctly. Did you use the patch or the pre-patched files. Also, do you see the threshold tab, and other "Threshold" links in the Console?
Mikeos

Post by Mikeos »

Hi Cigamit,

Yes I get the threshold tab and link in the console. I downloaded Thold
from the users (Catiusers.org) I've not changed anything since then. Do you think I'll need to apply a patch if so what do you recommend ?

Many thanks for your help

-Mike
karnash

threshold not showing current value

Post by karnash »

Hi Guyz,

I have installed thold plugin and running tests on localhost. I enabled threshold for unix-logged in users and unix-load average; all values are showing up in the threshold details except for the "Current". Everything works fine as far as graphs are concerned.
I guess "Current" should show the value of the number of users directly as seen in the graphs, but it is not showing up. Only a Green colored box shows.
Hence the threshold doesn't trigger for max or min values.
Any ideas what the problem is ?

-Karnash
karnash

Post by karnash »

Hi Guyz,

At least I could figure the problem.

problem: the plugins/thold/check-thold.php is not being called after the poller.php automatically.
When I ran it twice manually from the command line the values updated and "Current" value also showed up and alert email also got triggered.
As per the README this should happen automatically. I guess something went wrong ... may be permissions. Not sure though.
At this point I will have to add an additional cron job to do this manually.

Does anyone know how to get this done automatically without adding a cron job ?

-karnash
Alice
Cacti User

Post by Alice »

Oh, well...

I have a script that reports the ping stats in the following format:
min:5.957 avg:6.604 max:7.239 dev:0.527 loss:0
When the host is down (100% loss) it spits:
min: avg: max: dev: loss:100
Which is OK.

One data source associated, with min/max/avg/dev/loss DS items (template).

TWO graph templates: One that contains only loss (named Packet Loss), and one that contains min/max/avg times (named RTT).

The problems:

1. Minor?
Console -> Thresholds -> click on one of them: at "associated graphs" only the RTT graph is shown in the drop-down list. Also, that is the one dipslayed.

2. MAJOR
When I have 100% loss:
Console -> Thresholds -> click on one of them: on every tab (min/max/avg/dev/loss), I have:
Data Source Item [loss] - Current value: []
Data Source Item [dev] - Current value: []
[...]
loss should be 100
[url=http://www.x-graphs.com/]http://www.x-graphs.com[/url] [color=red]X[/color]-[color=blue]graphs[/color] :: All kind of graphs
Alice
Cacti User

Post by Alice »

Another one:
How can we make thold DON'T send alerts when the device that the data source corresponds to is DOWN?

Example: I want to trigger an alert if the traffic for an interface is below 1000bps. BUT if the device does not respond to SNMP, the alert is triggered and I don't want this.
[url=http://www.x-graphs.com/]http://www.x-graphs.com[/url] [color=red]X[/color]-[color=blue]graphs[/color] :: All kind of graphs
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Alice wrote:Another one:
How can we make thold DON'T send alerts when the device that the data source corresponds to is DOWN?

Example: I want to trigger an alert if the traffic for an interface is below 1000bps. BUT if the device does not respond to SNMP, the alert is triggered and I don't want this.
Its already on my list, and in the works. Just need to find the time.
r_chetanjain
Cacti User

Storing Triggered Thold's for future references

Post by r_chetanjain »

Hi,

Gr8 plugin....Can we have a facility to store all the triggered Thold's for future references.....

Any ideas.....
cigamit
Developer

Re: Storing Triggered Thold's for future references

Post by cigamit »

r_chetanjain wrote:Hi,

Gr8 plugin....Can we have a facility to store all the triggered Thold's for future references.....

Any ideas.....
There is a log file, you just have to turn it on manually in the file. Open check-thold.php and change $debug to 1. You can also log to syslog, if that helps any.
jduchesne

a question

Post by jduchesne »

Hello,

I want to have information about the thold plugin and the Data template graph template .

I create graphs about the interface traffic in and out and It's ok.
But I want to make a threshold like 70% of the maximum trafic so I have to translate the bits/sec in percent and I don't know how.

If anyone have a idea.

Thank a lot.
jduchesne

Post by jduchesne »

And I can a problem in the tab threshold the current number isn't the same as th egraaph created.
I don't undersatand because this is for the interface traffic the problem and with the CPU I have no pb.
It's very strange.
If anyone have the solution to this pb can you explain me?
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

jduchesne wrote:And I can a problem in the tab threshold the current number isn't the same as th egraaph created.
I don't undersatand because this is for the interface traffic the problem and with the CPU I have no pb.
It's very strange.
If anyone have the solution to this pb can you explain me?
The graph is probably displaying bits/sec but the data may be stored in bytes /sec, which is what thold will display.
dennis00

Post by dennis00 »

Installed... yet... a question... it says: "Data Source Item [traffic_in] - Current value: [38128.5867]".

What does this actually mean? I want to get a mail when my switch (port 24) is doing 30mbit+ for more than 2 hours...

Yet I have no idea how to set up the treshhold and what "38128.5867" means.
Attachments
pic.gif
pic.gif (6.12 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
message.gif
message.gif (20.6 KiB) Viewed 15700 times