[HOWTO] Installing Cacti on Ubuntu

If you figure out how to do something interesting/cool in Cacti and want to share it with the community, please post your experience here.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tspec

[HOWTO] Installing Cacti on Ubuntu

Post by tspec »

For anyone interested, I wrote up a quick guide on how to install Cacti on Ubuntu and added it to the Ubuntu Wiki pages yesteday.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CactiHowTo

I tried installing it roughly 4 or 5 times on two different boxes using these instructions and had no issues so i'd be interested to know if others have any success with it or not... that is if you ever have any desire to getting it running on Ubuntu.
xphu

Re: Installing Cacti on Ubuntu

Post by xphu »

tspec wrote:For anyone interested, I wrote up a quick guide on how to install Cacti on Ubuntu and added it to the Ubuntu Wiki pages yesteday.

I tried installing it roughly 4 or 5 times on two different boxes using these instructions and had no issues so i'd be interested to know if others have any success with it or not... that is if you ever have any desire to getting it running on Ubuntu.
I just installed cacti following your excelent notes.

Not big problems. Only problem was to find out how to find a way to get "sudo apt-get install cacti". Apt-get was not finding "universe". It was finding only a local disribution point which was not including cacti. Need to uncomment some rows to get it. And a basic installation does not install a root user at all.

Cacti version seems to be 0.8.6f. My guestion is how to get cacti 0.8.6g.

I am myself a Windows man. This was really my first linux application installation.

\xphu
|Cacti user since 0.8.4|
sconlan

Post by sconlan »

ditto "Need to uncomment some rows to get it. And a basic installation does not install a root user at all"

Being new to ubuntu and a novice at linux, it took a while to figure out..

Edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file before doing any "apt-get install ..."
also "sudo passwd root" from your user account to activiate the root account; then log in as root

Do an "apt-get update" then begin the install instructions.

I installed ubuntu and cacti multiple times for practice. Occasionally, the php5-mysql package would not configure correctly. This prevented my graphs from showing up. Everything else in cacti was working fine, just no graphs. I did a "php -m" and saw that mysql module was not listed.
I finally did a "dpkg-reconfigure php5-mysql" to correct the problem. This was an intermittent problem during my installs/ format/ re-installs. Not sure why it worked sometimes and not others.

Everything is pretty now. Thanks for the instructions.

Oh yeah, don't forget to "apache2ctl restart" after you do the dpkg-reconfigure.
eanders

snmp error

Post by eanders »

Thanks for the great tutorial. Installing seems to be a breeze, it's configuring that I'm having trouble with.
Specifically I'm getting an snmp error message, it seems that no matter what I do I can't seem to fix that, or find any additional information that might tell me where to look.

Does anyone here have cacti monitoring the local network ports?
Or monitoring other ubuntu boxes over the network?
jpgeerets

Post by jpgeerets »

waaw,
this is a good advice!
stuff works now.
im very very happy!!!

:lol: :lol:
tristanbob

Post by tristanbob »

I have updated this page on the Ubuntu Wiki to support Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake). Take a look!

Tristan Rhodes
EndPerform

Post by EndPerform »

Thanks for the howto. Just a side-note that if you already have mysql set up and a root password set, you'll need to enter that when prompted. But otherwise, I had cacti up and running within 5 minutes. Thanks again!
hiltonadmin

Xunbuntu cacti plugins

Post by hiltonadmin »

Anyone have any luck installing the Cacti Plugin arch. I can't get the Plugin stuff to work. When I follow the instructions to install the Plugin-Arch I completly break cacti. I get errors:
Warning: include(/usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/config.php on line 166

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/config.php on line 166

Fatal error: Call to undefined function NewADOConnection() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/database.php on line 40
If I look for /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb I can't find it.

I did notice that the config.php file I have is rather different then the standard cacti config file.
I installed cacti using the package manager.
I'm running Xunbuntu ver. 6.06, MYSQL 5.0, cacti 0.8.6h.
I've checked the Unbuntu wiki site, google, and Cacti's site with no luck.
any ideas? Thanks!
LordMerlin

Post by LordMerlin »

This is one reason I don't always like apt-get. I'm already running Apache2, PHP5, MySQL 4.0.12 with some databases and security already setup.

So, when I installed cacti from apt-get, it couldn't create the database, which I then added manually afterwards.

Then I edited /etc/cacti/debian.php to insert my database details.

Problem now is, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /usr/share/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 854

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /usr/share/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 854

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/share/adodb/adodb.inc.php:854) in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/auth.php on line 31
Any suggestions?
[list][*]cPanel :: Fantastico :: RVSkin :: WHM :: ModernBill
[*]Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program
[*]Blog Hosting :: CMS Hosting :: Forum Hosting :: E-Commerce Hosting[/list]

[url=http://www.softdux.com]SoftDux - The Leaders in Software[/url]
Use the coupon: [b][i]cacti-06[/i][/b] to get 20% off our packages
cexar

cant login cacti

Post by cexar »

i type apt-get insatll cati
on ubuntu server 6.06
the cacti pass and mysql pass for cati was leaved blank
i try to get with http://mylocalip/cacti
but it doesnt work
then i try to remove
apt-get remove cacti
i was asking for a pass, i leve blnak
but i got the following:

uninstalling cacti ...
dbconfig-common: dumping mysql database cacti to /var/tmp/cacti.cacti.2006-08-14-15.23.mysql.wfcvfK
dpkg: error processing cacti (--remove):
the subprocess pre-removal script send output code error 1
dbconfig-common: writing config to /etc/dbconfig-common/cacti.conf
Replacing config file /etc/cacti/debian.php with new version
dbconfig-common: flushing administrative password
there were errors processing:
cacti
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
MatsB
Cacti User

Post by MatsB »

Does anybody know if I need to go through steps 7-13 under Installing Cacti for Ubuntu - Part 1?
I'm asking because I don't have the cacti.sql file located anywhere and it seems that from step 12 it's extracted.

I'm installing on Ubuntu Server 6.06

I've completed all steps under:
-Installing Cacti on Ubuntu Server 6.06 (Dapper Drake)
-Setup Cacti
-Recommended: Create a root password for MySQL
Seesa

Re: Xunbuntu cacti plugins

Post by Seesa »

hiltonadmin wrote:Anyone have any luck installing the Cacti Plugin arch. I can't get the Plugin stuff to work. When I follow the instructions to install the Plugin-Arch I completly break cacti. I get errors:
Warning: include(/usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/config.php on line 166

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/config.php on line 166

Fatal error: Call to undefined function NewADOConnection() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/database.php on line 40
If I look for /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/adodb I can't find it.

I did notice that the config.php file I have is rather different then the standard cacti config file.
I installed cacti using the package manager.
I'm running Xunbuntu ver. 6.06, MYSQL 5.0, cacti 0.8.6h.
I've checked the Unbuntu wiki site, google, and Cacti's site with no luck.
any ideas? Thanks!
I have same problem - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, Cacti 0.8.6h, Apache2, MySQL 5.0.
After installing Cacti (apt-get install cacti), I will use the patch, copy file config.php from files-0-8-6h/include to site/include and edit it for my creditionals. Also, I edit url_path, but now i saw only an error page...
7echno7im

Post by 7echno7im »

I am goign to post ubuntu install instructions soon for server without using xampp, step-by-step, latest version from source.
My Site
www.techtronic.us
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

MatsB wrote:Does anybody know if I need to go through steps 7-13 under Installing Cacti for Ubuntu - Part 1?
I'm asking because I don't have the cacti.sql file located anywhere and it seems that from step 12 it's extracted.

I'm installing on Ubuntu Server 6.06

I've completed all steps under:
-Installing Cacti on Ubuntu Server 6.06 (Dapper Drake)
-Setup Cacti
-Recommended: Create a root password for MySQL
You may check, if the database is already in place. Run mysql from command line an issue the command

Code: Select all

show databases;
If the database cacti is already in place, everything's fine
Reinhard
7echno7im

Post by 7echno7im »

Done... sorry for the wait. Here is a crude mark up. As soon as I have time to make them nicer looking I will.

http://technotim.dyndns.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=13

if you dig it, then digg it.
My Site
www.techtronic.us