Thresholding / Alerting Plugin - Official Q/A Thread

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

cigamit
Developer

Thresholding / Alerting Plugin - Official Q/A Thread

Post by cigamit »

This is the new topic for the Threshold (Thold) Plugin, as the old topic was quite long (36 pages), and contained both the old add-on version, and the plugin version in the same thread, which was confusing.

Thold is a plugin for Cacti that will alert you once user specified "Thresholds" are breached. For instance, if you go above 95% on your drive sizes, or if your Poller takes over 290 seconds to complete. It will email you the current graph embedded into a HTML email stating what exactly happened (in the subject line), and adds a link to the devices graphs. It will also alert you once it returns to normal, and can continue to alert you if it does not resolve itself. There is even an option for baseline alerting, which will let you know if something deviates way above/below normal for that devices past.

Thresholds can be created manually, or you can auto-create thresholds for a device based on templates that you create. When using templates, you can create a template for a specified graph, and when editting a device, click the "Auto Create Thresholds" link to create thresholds for that device based off any templates you have created.

You can specify different email addresses for different thresholds, and can send out the emails via PHP's Mail function, Sendmail, or Authenicated SMTP (or Unauthenicated ofcourse). You can also specify a "Global" address to receive all alerts.

This plugin utilizes the Plugin Architecture, and it will not run without it (So install it first). No extra cron jobs are needed (it uses Cacti's poller), nor do you have to manually import the database, as it is all done for you.
------------------------
Important Links -----
Thold add-on originately created by Aurelio DeSimone, Plugin version and all future versions / fixes courtesy of Jimmy Conner.
Last edited by cigamit on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
r_chetanjain
Cacti User

Thold 2.x and Thold 0.2.7 Differences

Post by r_chetanjain »

Hi.....Gr8 Plugin...but i am confused

U have posted Thold 2.x Version of the Plugin....and there is one more Thold Plugin posted in Cactiusers.org which is 0.2.7 Version....

What is the difference....can we have a single place where we can see all the plugins available for Cacti...

Chetan
yinleew

run a scripts after the file system is above the threshold

Post by yinleew »

Hi, we were using file system watcher previously and whenever the file system is over the threshold, a scripts will be run and the operator will be noticed with audio alert. Is it possible for the threshold plugin to run a scripts instead of sending an alert email message? how? thanks.
cigamit
Developer

Re: Thold 2.x and Thold 0.2.7 Differences

Post by cigamit »

r_chetanjain wrote:Hi.....Gr8 Plugin...but i am confused

U have posted Thold 2.x Version of the Plugin....and there is one more Thold Plugin posted in Cactiusers.org which is 0.2.7 Version....

What is the difference....can we have a single place where we can see all the plugins available for Cacti...

Chetan
Actually, I posted the Plugin version. The add-on was version 2.1a in its last release (for Cacti 0.8.6c) but I did actually change the Plugin versions's since it was not essentially the same thing anymore (actually it was a mistake on my part, as I started with 0.2.3 instead of 2.3, but I can't really undo it now). The plugin is now at v0.3.

The old thread has been locked to help avoid alot of the confusion that is surrounding this (since the old add-on isn't supported anymore by the original author). Most of the Plugins are available from my site, which is in my Sig, and there is some documentation on them in the Wiki. The others are currently in the Add-on forums here on cacti.net until Ian gets the Warehouse up and running.
cigamit
Developer

Re: run a scripts after the file system is above the thresho

Post by cigamit »

yinleew wrote:Hi, we were using file system watcher previously and whenever the file system is over the threshold, a scripts will be run and the operator will be noticed with audio alert. Is it possible for the threshold plugin to run a scripts instead of sending an alert email message? how? thanks.
That is definitely possible, I am also working on a more rebust notifier (SMS, Audible, etc...) but its a long way down the road.

BTW, what exactly would the scripts do? As I don't see what you could accomplish with them....
neodynium

Post by neodynium »

I do not understand the useness of the baseline monitoring.
Could you please put an example here ?

Does it monitor the delta ? (if a CPU takes 30% in 2 minutes alarm me ?)

Thank you
laarocho

How to configure Thold Template

Post by laarocho »

Can someone explain how to configure a Thold Template.
For example
High Threshold : 95% or 6GB or What data I will fill the blanks with?

Thanks,

And yes this is the best support forum!!!. Continue the good work!!!
Mikeos

Thold not drawing auto-create thresholds link

Post by Mikeos »

Have installed the latest version of Thold and it all looks good apart
from it is not drawing the 'auto-create thresholds' hyperlink when
I try and add a device or modify one.

Has anybody got any ideas why?
mrh
Cacti User

Post by mrh »

Hi! Does anybody know how to make threshold send a graph for the "last 4h" (for example) in the email attachment instead of "last day"

When an alarm raise you will not see the change in the graph in the last day until some minutes more pass, so... that's the cause of my requirement ;)

Thanks thanks thanks!
mrh | cacti 0.8.6h | plugin architecture | thold | monitor | iis6
Maestro_Ba

Post by Maestro_Ba »

Hi there.

I have "cacti-0.8.6h.fc4.i384.rpm" running for about a month.
Now I have just installed "cacti-plugin-arch 0.9" + "thold 0.3.0".

It seems to be working fine, I just wanted to know if someone knows how to setup an alarm based in the quocient of 2 variables.

I have some routers and I am monitorizing their interfaces' traffic. Of course, each interface has its maximum limit. I need to set alarms whenever an interface reaches 90% of its bandwidth.

Another example: How to set an alarm whenever Free Memory is less than 10%.

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!
amay

Post by amay »

Is it possible to only be alerted of thresholds during specified hours?

For example: I only want to know if an interface is over 80% utilization between 8am and 5pm. I don't care if it is using all of the bandwidth off-hours.

I was unable to find the answer to this question by searching this forum, if it is answered elsewhere, I apologize.

Thank you for your time.
kbartoletta
Cacti User

Send notifications to default alert address - still not work

Post by kbartoletta »

I thought that there was a fix in the latest release to fix this functionality but I dont believe that it is working -

If I have this setting set to "force:off" - I am still getting threshold alerts sent to my email address specified in the global threshold settings. I have tried changing this setting but behavior does not appear to change -

any ideas?
cigamit
Developer

Re: Send notifications to default alert address - still not

Post by cigamit »

kbartoletta wrote:I thought that there was a fix in the latest release to fix this functionality but I dont believe that it is working -

If I have this setting set to "force:off" - I am still getting threshold alerts sent to my email address specified in the global threshold settings. I have tried changing this setting but behavior does not appear to change -

any ideas?
It was supposed to be fixed, but apparently I didn't get it quite right. It should definitely be fixed in the next version.
Mikeos

Auto create threshold hyperlink

Post by Mikeos »

Have installed Thold 0.3.0 without any problems. When I configure a device I don't see the 'auto create thresholds' hyperlink (its doesn't get painted on the screen). Any ideas why ?

Running Cacti 0.8.6h

I checked setup.php for the plugin and can see the call to:-

function thold_graphs_new () {
global $_REQUEST, $config;
print '<span style="color: #c16921;">*</span><a href="' . $config['url_path'] . 'plugins/thold/thold.php?action=autocreate&hostid=' . $_REQUEST["host_id"] . '">Auto-create thresholds</a><br>';
}

Any ideas why this is not getting displayed....

Many thanks

-Mike
kbartoletta
Cacti User

Post by kbartoletta »

I thought that there was a fix in the latest release to fix this functionality but I dont believe that it is working -

any ideas?
Actually, I just upgraded my cacti version to "h" and the thold fix for this seems to work. I was still on version "g" when it was not working.

Thanks