PHP Network Weathermap 0.8 (now 0.9)

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

qwertz
Cacti User

Post by qwertz »

Ok it's working.

Sorry for this stupid question ...

I want to congratulate you again and hope you will create soon the possiblilty to add isolated device ( http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight= ) in your beautiful tool

Good luck and thanks

Qwertz
hermatize
Cacti User

Post by hermatize »

Is there a manual that totally explains how to set this up i didnt find the one on the site very useful i have everything installed and working correctly i just find the configuration of these maps very confusing can anyone give me some insight as to how to learn this.

I willing to read about this for however long it takes me this plug in is very useful in my company.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

CACTI ROCKS
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

hermatize wrote:Is there a manual that totally explains how to set this up i didnt find the one on the site very useful i have everything installed and working correctly i just find the configuration of these maps very confusing can anyone give me some insight as to how to learn this.

I willing to read about this for however long it takes me this plug in is very useful in my company.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

CACTI ROCKS
What specifically do you have trouble with? The 'Basics' section of the manual is a good place to start if it's just the layout of maps that is causing you trouble. Short version: a NODE is a router or site, a LINK is a wire, a LINK goes between two nodes.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
hermatize
Cacti User

Post by hermatize »

so my node needs to be the ip address of the device how do you link cacti rrd's to it all that stuff im lost
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

hermatize wrote:so my node needs to be the ip address of the device how do you link cacti rrd's to it all that stuff im lost
No. The node just needs a name. Any name. In some maps, a node might be a whole city or a network, so there's no right answer here.

Here's the simplest map:

Code: Select all

NODE ny_router
   POSITION 100 200
   LABEL New York

NODE lon_router
   POSITION 300 100
   LABEL London

LINK link1
   NODES ny_router lon_router
   TARGET /usr/local/cacti/rra/nyrouter_333.rrd
So the NODE has a name, which is used in the LINK to define the ends of the link in the NODES line. The LABEL for a NODE is what shows on the screen. The TARGET line says to look in that rrd file for the data to colour the link.

That's enough to get a map on the screen.

After that, I'd spend some time looking at the example.conf, along with the Config Reference. That example.conf map shows the use of most of the common features, and other things too.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

I've just put up PHP Weathermap 0.82. There are no new features. If you don't have any problems with 0.81, then there is no reason to "upgrade".
Fixes are:

0.82   FIXED another variation on ReadFromRRD not detecting NaNs properly (hyland)
       FIXED SQL error which affects only some MySQL 5s (gundamx)
       FIXED some minor php errors in setup.php (cigamit)
       Changed the rrdtool period from now-400 to now-800 to avoid long-poller-cycle 
	   problems.
       Did some more /=>DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR changes - there weren't any problems, but
	   it's a potential one.
       FIXED if you use the editor and your rrdtool is somewhere other than /usr/bin/rrdtool
	   then you get an incorrect error about checking line 27 of the CLI tool.
Downloadable from the link in my sig.

I'd also be curious to know if anyone is using the update 0.2 plugin, and sees the new version in there. It should work, but I've never seen it for myself!
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Howie wrote:I'd also be curious to know if anyone is using the update 0.2 plugin, and sees the new version in there. It should work, but I've never seen it for myself!
Yep, I'm using the Update plugin (heh, ofcourse!) and I see an update available in the Updates! It even correctly pulled down the changelog, so you do happen to have your versions.php setup to correctly dish it out.

I do possibly see a problem with my plugin (again!) as when it pulls the changelog, it still grabs this line

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
so I guess I will have to fix that.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

cigamit wrote:
Howie wrote:I'd also be curious to know if anyone is using the update 0.2 plugin, and sees the new version in there. It should work, but I've never seen it for myself!
Yep, I'm using the Update plugin (heh, ofcourse!) and I see an update available in the Updates! It even correctly pulled down the changelog, so you do happen to have your versions.php setup to correctly dish it out.

I do possibly see a problem with my plugin (again!) as when it pulls the changelog, it still grabs this line

Ah cool. Somehow I always seem to have the latest version of Weathermap so I've never seen it ;-)
NHDave
Cacti User

Post by NHDave »

cigamit wrote:I do possibly see a problem with my plugin (again!) as when it pulls the changelog, it still grabs this line

Just installed .82 and mine says I still have 0.8beta4 (which I had soo long ago)

Dave
(great job to you both) 8)
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

NHDave wrote:Just installed .82 and mine says I still have 0.8beta4 (which I had soo long ago)
What does it say at the bottom of the Weathermap tab page? (the Powered by bit). If that says 0.8beta4, then I don't think you overwrote all the old files correctly.

Otherwise, it's something odd in Update - which I can't comment on :-) I know it does have an internal record of what versions are installed somewhere though.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Howie wrote:
NHDave wrote:Just installed .82 and mine says I still have 0.8beta4 (which I had soo long ago)
What does it say at the bottom of the Weathermap tab page? (the Powered by bit). If that says 0.8beta4, then I don't think you overwrote all the old files correctly.

Otherwise, it's something odd in Update - which I can't comment on :-) I know it does have an internal record of what versions are installed somewhere though.
It does internally store the version in a table, but it updates it everytime the page is loaded (if necessary)

Try running it from the command line to see what it pulls

php -q check.php -f -d
NHDave
Cacti User

Post by NHDave »

cigamit wrote:
Howie wrote:

It does internally store the version in a table, but it updates it everytime the page is loaded (if necessary)

Try running it from the command line to see what it pulls

php -q check.php -f -d
It reports the correct versions in both the Weathermap tab as well as the manual command run. However in the "plugin_update_info" table there are several wrong versions.

Table plugin_update_info in database cacti
thold 0.2.7 (0.2.9 installed)
monitor Device Monitoring 0.6 (correct)
reports 0.1b (correct)
tools Network Tools 0.2 (correct)
update Update Checker 0.1 (0.2 installed)
discovery Network Discovery 0.2 (0.4 installed)
cacti Cacti 0.8.6h (correct)
weathermap PHP Network Weathermap 0.8beta4 (0.82 installed)
rrdclean 1.2 (correct)

I ended up just dropping the table and re-adding it and it reports correctly now. DB permissions are all correct so Im not sure why it wasnt getting updated with the corrct info.
yp

Added new functionality at the weathermap

Post by yp »

Hello Howie,
First, thank you for your excellent program.
What I did:
I wanted to use it inside the datacenter, so apart from the network traffic, I needed to have also performance metrics per server.
So, I modified Weathermap.class.php and extended the Node properties by adding two pairs of values per Node. Each pair gets its values from different rrd s. So added the ATARGETS and BTARGETS options per Node. Also inoerder to have overlibgraphs and infourls I added the AINFOURL and BINFOURL per Node also. Finally in order to use different font colours based on the percentage of the first value of the ATARGETS and BTARGETS, I added the AUPPERLIMIT and BUPPERLIMIT (the same way as you use BANDWIDTH value for the Links).
All the functionality you had at the links has been kept also at the nodes (ie. multiple targets are added, you must define the DS names at the targets because now they can be server load averages or whatever else, overlibgraphs and infourls are working ...).
This version gives also a solution to qwertz who is asking for a weathermap without links. You can now have nodes with maximum two links and bellow each node you can have with correct colours the incoming and outgoing traffic.

I don't use the editor, so I didn't took care of necessary changes at the editor. Also I don't like the icons, so I haven't even test how it behaves with them.

Attached you can find the new Weathermap.class.php and a test .conf file with its output (.png).

In the test I uploaded I use the first pair of values in order to display the 1min and 5min load average of each server, while second pair of values at the web servers is used to display the active web connections and a special metric at my environment for the value of active hits at the web of a certain php page. (If you find the map strange, it is because the web server farm consists of 26 servers and I had to use the faik webxxi(internal) and o(outgoing) web connections in order to produce an easily readable map - otherwise the links were overlapping and the result was two heavy and confused for the eyes.

The beauty with your code is that I didn't had to add even a single new method - I just modified and extended some of them. So,

With the hope you would like the additions and you will incorporate them in your weathermap.
Thanks again,
YP
yp

The attachment of the new functionality

Post by yp »

I can not upload the files, so I will email them to Howie.
Anyone else who wish to get them please email me.
YP
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: Added new functionality at the weathermap

Post by Howie »

yp wrote: Attached you can find the new Weathermap.class.php and a test .conf file with its output (.png).
I think you missed the attachment. I'd be interested to see the map...

Version 0.9 (in progress now) will have roughly equivalent functionality.

NODEs have a TARGET. You don't really need A... and B... you can just add a second (or 3rd, or 4th) NODE and not have any links for it, which allows for any number of extra metrics, each with their own OVERLIBGRAPH, INFOURL and formatting without adding lots of extra ReadConfig and WriteConfig code.

In addition, I have a new data source 'plugin' system, so people can easily add new datasource types - for example, I intend to include some to return 0 or 1 for up and down from Cacti, Nagios and WhatsUp. Finally, there can be multiple named SCALEs, so you can have a simpler scale for your NODEs where 0->0.5 is Red and 0.5->1.0 is Green, for example.

Finally, I want to extend the formatted strings used by the Timestamp so that all strings (LABEL, OVERLIBCAPTION, TITLE etc) can include tokens to pull in map data - something like {node:router1:value} in a LABEL, for instance, so you can show more data in the same space.

I haven't come up with a good way to do ICONs in this scheme either yet. :-) The datasource plugin stuff is mostly done already, but one of the other new features is supposed to be a new editor, so it might be a while before 0.9 arrives :-?