cacti on solaris 9

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

flucht

cacti on solaris 9

Post by flucht »

hi!

I'm trying to install cacti on a solaris 9 SPARC 64 bits server.
Obviously, there is no easy way, such as "apt-get", to install mysql, php, etc...

1) Is there some other tools, which are absolutely required to install cacti, apart from php, mysql and apache?

2) Do you know an easy way to install all these tools on solaris? caus' I don't know really this machine, and nothing works well for the moment

If no, I'm starting to install mysql. And I have this problem, at the end of the installation:
ld.so.1: /opt/mysql/mysql/bin/mysqld: fatal: libCstd.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
Installation of system tables failed!
From the net, it seems (but I'm not sure at all) that the patch on the machine need to be updated. I tried (I took one of the thousand different patchs from sun, for my version of solaris) and I still have this error.

please help me!

thanks
flucht

Post by flucht »

any answer?
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Post by fmangeant »

Hi

there's an install guide on Solaris here : http://www.cacti.net/downloads/docs/con ... laris.html
[size=84]
[color=green]HOWTOs[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15353]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Unix[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=26151]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Windows[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=28175]Graph multiple servers using an SNMP proxy[/url][/list]
[color=green]Templates[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15412]Multiple CPU usage for Linux[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=125152]Memory & swap usage for Unix[/url][/list][/size]
Morgan
Cacti User

Post by Morgan »

i used to run cacti on a solaris 9 machine, and eventually decided to migrate away from it on a linux box. i ran into too many odd problems with cacti on solaris, and since most people either run it on windows or linux the problems were hard to reproduce and harder to fix.
flucht

Post by flucht »

Can any of you two send me his email address (one that you don't really care, if you want) by private message? I'm not a spammer or anything like that.
I just need help. besides the installation, I might need help, because I'm involved in a project, with a soon-coming deadline.
I'm not saying I'll disturb you, just ask a few questions occasionally.
elnino
Cacti User

Post by elnino »

I just finished installing Cacti on a Solaris 10 box for one of my college classes and wrote an install doc along with it. Let me know if you still need help, it should be similar
doopz

Re: cacti on solaris 9

Post by doopz »

flucht wrote: 2) Do you know an easy way to install all these tools on solaris? caus' I don't know really this machine, and nothing works well for the moment
To install packages in solaris have a look at http://www.blastwave.org/ which is a package manager that should help you install the tools you need and manage the dependancies. I have installed cacti on solaris before using blastwave and it works.

Start by looking at http://www.blastwave.org/howto.html
elnino
Cacti User

Post by elnino »

www.sunfreeware.com is a big help too. The only thing I basically didn't install from there was PHP
flucht

Post by flucht »

Thanks for answers!

well, I finally installed sources (tar.gz) of the tools and libraries (because packages gave me many troubles), and did not meet any problems yet. But I'm not sure that net-snmp is running, because I don't have the images (red cross instead) of my basic graphs of a distant server.
How do I configure cacti, to have these graphs, at least displaying datas of the local machine?
elnino
Cacti User

Post by elnino »

flucht wrote:Thanks for answers!

well, I finally installed sources (tar.gz) of the tools and libraries (because packages gave me many troubles), and did not meet any problems yet. But I'm not sure that net-snmp is running, because I don't have the images (red cross instead) of my basic graphs of a distant server.
How do I configure cacti, to have these graphs, at least displaying datas of the local machine?
First, check if SNMP is running, do ps -ef | grep snmp and check if the SNMP daemon is running. Then you can try snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 127.0.0.1 (replace public with your community name)

Were any RRD files created? Did you get errors from the polling log? What happens if you try running the poller manually from the command line?

When I installed it on Solaris 10, I basically followed the Solaris install guide. The only package I didn't use from Sunfreeware.com was PHP and I compiled that manually so it would have SNMP support.
flucht

Post by flucht »

elnino wrote: First, check if SNMP is running, do ps -ef | grep snmp and check if the SNMP daemon is running.
Yes, actually, I did try that before. I get the snmpd process. does that mean that snmp is working?
Then you can try snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 127.0.0.1 (replace public with your community name)
I get :
Timeout: No Response from 127.0.0.1
Were any RRD files created? Did you get errors from the polling log? What happens if you try running the poller manually from the command line?
Are RRD files just in .rra or .rrd files? If yes, I don't have any
When I'm trying to run
php /apps/cacti/cacti-0.8.6h/poller.php
I get :
sh: /apps/php/php-5.1.2/bin/: cannot execute
sh: /apps/rrdtool/rrdtool-1.2.12/bin/: cannot execute
even if I put chmod 777 * in this directory

the poller gives me the following error:
05/15/2006 03:44:53 PM - POLLER: Poller[0] Maximum runtime of 292 seconds exceeded. Exiting.
elnino
Cacti User

Post by elnino »

It looks like you have the settings for your paths are incorrect. They need to be the full path to the binary executable file, which in your case should be something like:
/apps/php/php-5.1.2/bin/php -- For PHP
/apps/rrdtool/rrdtool-1.2.12/bin/rrdtool -- For RRDtool

For SNMP, make sure you use whatever you set your community name as instead of "public" (unless you actually set it as that). Also, try using "localhost" instead of "127.0.0.1"
flucht

Post by flucht »

For these paths, I've put only the bin directories.
Anyway, snmp's working! I just erased the conf file and copied one from the net.

Now, when I'm trying to run the poller with a command line, I get:
Error: passphrase chosen is below the length requirements of the USM (min=8 ).
/apps/net-snmp/net-snmp.5.2.2/bin/snmpget: (The supplied password length is too short.)
Error generating a key (Ku) from the supplied authentication pass phrase.
05/19/2006 01:28:38 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1935 Method:cmd.php Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:11 RRDsProcessed:0
I don't think I put a password or anything.
I'm using v2c of snmp. Do I really need to generate a key or sthg?
elnino
Cacti User

Post by elnino »

I've never seen that message before about a passphrase. What happens if you try to do an snmpwalk or snmpget from the command line? Maybe something in that snmp.conf file you have?
flucht

Post by flucht »

snmpwalk works.

and
/apps/net-snmp/current/bin/snmpget -v 2c -c community localhost SysUpTime.0
gives:
Timeout: No Response from localhost.
although sysUpTime.0 is a known OID

i really don't know what this passphrase is...