Help me About W2K3 ..... "snmp error"

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

banky

Help me About W2K3 ..... "snmp error"

Post by banky »

I use this spec
=================
-w2k3 (already install SNMP service)
-Appserv-win32-2.5.5 (APACHE2.05+PHP5+MySQL)
-Cacti-0.8.6h
-Cacti-cactid-0.8.6g
-Rrdtool-1.0.49-win32-bin
-net-snmp-5.3.0.1-ssl-1.win32
==================
First I test install in WinXP Pro . It's OK . Can Genarate Graph.
After that I try to Install Cacti in W2K3 but in the process when i create Device (under SNMP information) is "SNMP ERROR" .
I don't Know why SNMP Error because i already install SNMP service . :cry:
===================
Then i try to poller by type this message in cmd line like this ...
"C:\>C:\AppServ\php\php.exe C:\AppServ\www\cacti\poller.php
03/31/2006 05:34:50 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.0208 Method:cmd.php Processes:1 Th
reads:N/A Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:0 RRDsProcessed:0"
=====================

My question is Why SNMP Error in W2K3 ? Could I must Config Anything to SNMP Service ?
I do something wrong ? Plz Help me... Thxxx a lot a lot alot alot :cry:
eyechart

Post by eyechart »

You say that you already installed SNMP service. Did you install SNMP on your win2k3 machine that you are trying to monitor? Another possibility is that you need to allow SNMP read only access to a specific community. Most use the 'public' community for RO access. Also, make sure that you specify the host that you can connect from and not just from localhost.

-ec
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Sounds like you didn't set up SNMP on the box or you have a firewall blocking snmp data.
banky

Post by banky »

errr... i try to monitor in my computer (W2k3). but can't :cry:
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

errr, have you properly set up the SNMP service yet? You must set a public community name and IPs which have access.

Have you verified there is no firewall blocking the data?
rdfeij

Post by rdfeij »

I'm having the same problems with win2k3.
With look@lan, i see smtp enabled and can read the full snmp details.
With cacti however (installed on linux webserver) i get the " smnp error" error.

ip access to the server is temporary set to " any host" and there is a accepted community name set to "public" with rights "read-only"
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Sure there isnt a firewall blocking your snmp data? If SNMP works locally on the Win2K3 box but other remote computers are unable to poll the data, sounds like something is blocking it...
streaker69
Cacti Pro User

Post by streaker69 »

rdfeij wrote:I'm having the same problems with win2k3.
With cacti however (installed on linux webserver) i get the " smnp error" error.

ip access to the server is temporary set to " any host" and there is a accepted community name set to "public" with rights "read-only"
Two things:

First, uncheck the "Send Authentication Trap" under the Security tab in the SNMP server properties.

Second, I've found that the community string is case sensitive in some cases, so make sure that whatever you have your string set to on your Winders box matches what's in Cacti.
rdfeij

Post by rdfeij »

rdfeij wrote:I'm having the same problems with win2k3.

problem solved.
Because we use win2k3 small business the "dirty" side of the network blocked incoming traffic, even while the firewall is off.

I had to map the port via routing and remote access. (to localhost)
Now it works fine for me
HyTeK

Post by HyTeK »

I want to add to this problem.

Running Windows 2k3 Server Ent. R2 with net-snmp and snmp service installed and running.

Cacti is on another windows xp box with apache. I have about 12 boxes being monitored right now, a mix of linux and windows xp machines, and I have not had a problem yet.

Now on the 2k3 server, I have disabled the firewall, unchecked "send auth trap", "accept snmp from any host" and set the community to public with RO. In cacti, sometimes I can see the snmp data, other times it has a snmp error. The graph is working, but it has broken up data. (lots of white space in between)

Anyone with any ideas to why it would be random?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

possibly the snmp timeout is too low. Try increasing it.
HyTeK

Post by HyTeK »

I've set it as high as 15000 and still get random snmp errors. Sometimes it will go for a good 15 minutes, then it will error for the next 10. Or good for 5 and bad for 10.

Makes absolutely no sense. I thought it was time out also, but the server seems to respond fine.

Both the cacti machine and the 2k3 R2 machine are on the same subnet connected to the same gig switch.

idk....kinda weird :-?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

When the device isn't responding to snmp via cacti, try another snmp tool (getif / net-snmp snmpwalk) and see if it responds. Let me know.
HyTeK

Post by HyTeK »

I will try that tomorrow.

something I didn't think about...I have 2 gig nic's in the 2k3 server. They are setup for link aggregate (bonded)

Ever come across issues with snmp and bonded nic's with a single IP?

Server seems to have no issues running, and never had a timeout issue while doing a ping -t on it either......even when we were stress testing it with 1.8Gb/s output :-?

I'll try tomorrow and see what happens though. 8)
mentasm

Post by mentasm »

I am having very similar issues. I have two 2003 R2 boxes on my network amongst a few other non-R2 boxes. I cannot get cacti to pull any SNMP data from them the R2 boxes, the others work fine.

I have tried the advice in this thread. Unchecked the send auth trap box. Community was already set at public and allow any host.

I can snmpwalk the non-R2 boxes, but whn I try the R2 boxes, the command just drops back to the prompt: ie.

Code: Select all

[root@cacti ~]# snmpwalk  -v 1 -c public 192.168.21.221 system
[root@cacti ~]#
netstat -a shows:

UDP    FLAFILE01:snmp         *:*
The R2 machines have 2 NICs, but the 2nd one is disabled at this time.

Some other examples using snmpget:

[root@cacti ~]# snmpget -v 1 -c public 192.168.21.221 system.sysDescr.0
Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0

[root@cacti ~]# snmpget -v 1 -c public 192.168.21.221 system.sysUpTime.0
Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance
I've also sussed out the firewall with netsh. It shows as disabled, but there is a port openning rule for port 161 listed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try with this?