[HOWTO] RESIZE existing RRAs of existing RRDs

If you figure out how to do something interesting/cool in Cacti and want to share it with the community, please post your experience here.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Why do you suppose this to be odd? If you've only the yearly rra left and defined this with loads of data points, this is the expected result.
Please try again to give me an idea of what you're trying to get. As I'm german, this may need some extra effort ... :wink:
Reinhard
warenet
Cacti User

Post by warenet »

I guess I find this odd:

rra[0].pdp_per_row = 115200

But maybe I'm wrong??

My goal would be to have Cacti create the "proper" RRAs for these files automatically. Barring that I'd prefer to not have to switch to the "old" non ZLVM RRAs in the data template each time I want to add a new graph, and then to have to resize, and then switch the RRAs back to the ZLVM ones in the data template.

Is this possible?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

My question was the other way round. What settings are you aiming at
- which rra settings do you need? How many data points at 5min interval, how many at 30 min, at 2h and at 1 day (or at other settings, if you like)
- which detail display do you want? That is, when selecting the "normal" graph, do you want to see 4 graphs (as usual), or 5, or 3? And what timespan should they incorporate?
Reinhard
warenet
Cacti User

Post by warenet »

Reinhard,

Thanks as always for the assistance.

What I'm aiming for is a year worth of 5 minute resolution data.

As for graphs, I'm not too picky. I guess day, week, month, and year would be good.

I have three different data source types: a "standard" traffic-in/traffic-out from a Cisco Router, one from nfsen (netflow collector data, with essentially only "traffic" that's selected by a tcp filter), and a custom script that collects outbound data from streaming servers.

I'd like all of these to have the same resolution and same number of graphs.

Does this help?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Ok, I understand. As my first quick shots missed, I'll have to look at this in more detail. This will take some time. But first, I will check, what cacti 0.9 will give us here. So please allow for some days 'til next response
Reinhard

PS.: I suppose, we should create a new topic out of this, as it may be of interest for others as well
warenet
Cacti User

Post by warenet »

will do...

thanks a ton!
geggart

RE : can't find RRDp module

Post by geggart »

Hi,

I can't seem to find the RRDp module, from what I understand this should be compiled when the rrdtool binary is created?
However when I list the details of my rrdtool package (RPM on AIX)
then i get the following:

/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/RRDs.pm
/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/auto/RRDp/.packlist
/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/auto/RRDs/.packlist
/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/auto/RRDs/RRDs.bs
/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so
/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/ntmake.pl

Can you tell me how I can obtain the RRDp module for this? or how it should be compiled into rrdtool.

Thanks
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Sory for not being able to give a satisfying answer. But you may post this question to the rrdtool-users mailing list.
My understanding matches yours. It should be there when compiling from source. AFAIK, there's a ./configure options for creating the perl modules
Reinhard
geggart

Post by geggart »

Hi folks,

ignore my query above as we have now managed to have the RRDp module compiled into rrdtool for AIX.

Thanks
kelbyc
Cacti User

Post by kelbyc »

please see following question
Last edited by kelbyc on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kelbyc
Cacti User

Can't Zoom after resize

Post by kelbyc »

I now have resize.pl working on a Windows XP install. I just commented out line 133 in the rrdp.pm module. HOWEVER, after resizing an RRD I cannot use the zoom function in Cacti to view my historical data. The data shows on the monthly and yearly graph but when I zoom in I get a blank graph. The only data that now shows in any graph for a given RRD is the 5-minute data (which is currently 2 days worth). Anything older than 2 days doesn't show up when using the Zoom-In feature in Cacti. What do I need to change to get that data to show in 30 minute and 2 hour averages like it did before resizing? I understand that once more 5 minute data is collected that it will show but I would like to see the 30 minute and 2 hour data until then.
gandalf
Developer

Re: Can't Zoom after resize

Post by gandalf »

kelbyc wrote:What do I need to change to get that data to show in 30 minute and 2 hour averages like it did before resizing? I understand that once more 5 minute data is collected that it will show but I would like to see the 30 minute and 2 hour data until then.
First, it depends on how you did the resize job. What rra's were resized? Resizing will not fill in data, it only provides space for new data to be stored (so you will have to wait ...). And the way cacti generates graphs uses rrdtool's "autofit" feature. That is, rrdtool will take the "best matching rra". After resizing, it is possible, that the "best matching rra" does not contain any data yet.
Reinhard
kelbyc
Cacti User

Re:

Post by kelbyc »

Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest area of misunderstanding is which RRA to specify. This particular RRD has 0-7 RRAs. I assume I just need to resize 0 which is the AVERAGE RRA. Is this correct?
gandalf
Developer

Re:

Post by gandalf »

kelbyc wrote:Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest area of misunderstanding is which RRA to specify. This particular RRD has 0-7 RRAs. I assume I just need to resize 0 which is the AVERAGE RRA. Is this correct?
Not exactly. You may want to use the -s parameter, as your rrd file seems to hold data for two data sources (hence the 8 rra's). If using cacti defaults, -s 600 should do the job and resize all rra's with 600 data points. This is a good approch if you're using rrd files with lots of different design (which is most common), so this command fill increase all the "daily" rra's
Reinhard
kelbyc
Cacti User

got it

Post by kelbyc »

I figured out what I was doing wrong. When I resized I did it for 2 months of data. I was ony looking at historic data in that time frame. When I looked at some that was 4-5 months old it used the correct RRA, just like you said it would, and displayed the historical data. I just won't have "zoomable" data through those 2 months until new data fills that area. Thanks for the help.

By the way. If anyone is looking for an easy way to resize RRDs without using the command line then check out rrdeditor. It's extremely easy to use. Find it at http://www.thetoolsmith.com/
Last edited by kelbyc on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.