Trango M5830S, host template w/ dependencies (queries, etc.)

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Frances
Cacti User

Trango M5830S, host template w/ dependencies (queries, etc.)

Post by Frances »

Hi,

I've developed these queries/templates to grab statistics from Trango M5830S AP's. The queries/templates were developed based on the existing interface.xml template and the beginning of a tutorial on using Cacti to monitor these devices, located here. Attached is a host template to be used with Trango M5830S AP's. Importing the template should import the necessary data queries to gather the indexes for the statistics, et al. Included is:

AP -

Total Radio Traffic
Total Ethernet Traffic
Temperature

SU -

RSSI at AP
RSSI at SU
Temperature/SU
Traffic/SU
Transmit Power/SU

No guarantees, but they do work for me. If you have difficulties getting these to work, I'll try and be of some assistance.

One note -- these tempates will import an RRA for polling on one minute cycles. If you don't poll on one minute cycles, I'd recommend modifying all of the associated data templates to remove the one minute RRA.

-F
Attachments
cacti-host-template-trango-m5830s.xml
(70.13 KiB) Downloaded 2591 times
abdock

error while importing

Post by abdock »

Error: XML: Hash version does not exist.

I am using the latest Cacti Version 0.8.6d

any help !
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

Sorry I missed your post. I'm not sure what to make of "Hash version does not exist". If you're still looking to make these work, I can re-export them if you'de like.
NicoDemuS

Post by NicoDemuS »

The file 'trango_m5830s_ap.xml' that the template requires, where does one obtain this file? Is it a renamed 'trango5830.xml' from the page linked at the top of the post?
adabman

Post by adabman »

The 2 xml files required can be found in section #2 of http://www.cooplabs.net/TRANGO_CACTI_HOWTO.htm

Francis, has there been any progress or updates to Trango 5830 xml files?

A few questions.. First, I added into the host template provided all 7 graph templates. Now, I add a host. Next, add graphs for the new host. I select/tick all 7 graph templates, then at the bottom I click create and get redirected to another page asking for information for each graph. for example, alot of the graphs want these values filled out for each: Index Type, Index Value, Output Type ID. Is there any need to fill these values?

My graphs get drawn but show little(no) data. there is no lines or areas drawn on any of the graphs at all, most all show nan. On the SU rssi graphs, in the ledgend area, i get the ip address and distance of the SU displayed, but that is all.

When turning the logging level up, I am able to see that all the value are returned from the ap sucessfully. Traffic, rssi, temp, etc .. alll the snmp queries appear to be working.

What is the procedure for getting cacti to pick up the new users after adding them to the Trango AP, Or is this handled automagically?

-new to Cacti
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

Hi all,

Sorry to have been out of action for so long. I'll do my best to get everybody working with these templates. I'll re-post with the queries included; I thought they'de be exported as a dependency.

Adabman -

Are you using the queries provided at the site you've linked to? There's a possibility that the queries aren't properly associated with the appropriate data inputs. Just in case, I'll supply the ones intended to be used with the templates, which work for me. Keep in mind, the M5800S units are a different breed and will require a seperate query.

Also, unfortunately, graphs are not automatically added/removed for SU's. That would require a script scanning the AP's SUDB and modifying the AP to match. I've got a perl script that can generate an SUDB from SNMP or telnet which could give you the information you'de need, but you'de be on your own for writing the script that interacts with Cacti.

Please find two attached data queries and a few the graph templates which I'll re-export from 0.8.6h. I'll post a follow up with the rest of the graph templates (5 max.)

-F
Attachments
cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_su_statistics.xml
This data query indexes data related to SU's which are associated with a specified AP.
(71.85 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times
cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_ap_statistics.xml
This data query indexes data specific to an AP.
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 1372 times
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_rssisu.xml
This graph template deals with the "RSSI from AP" and "RSSI from SU" statistics contained in a given AP on a per-SU basis.
(15.59 KiB) Downloaded 1350 times
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_temperatureap.xml
This graph template deals with the temperature statistics contained in a given AP for a given AP.
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 1427 times
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_temperaturesu.xml
This graph template deals with the temperature statistics contained in a given AP on a per-SU basis.
(13.05 KiB) Downloaded 1312 times
dpoulsen

Post by dpoulsen »

Hi,

I am attempting to implement this on a vanilla install of Cacti 0.8.6h.

I've been using cacti for quite a while now, but only out of the built in .1.3.6.1.2.1 tree. This is my first attempt a monitoring non MIBII OIDs; I'm having a little trouble getting these Trango templates to work. I've tried creating my own xml files for the 5830 AP, but didn't have luck with that either. I just want to make sure I am understanding the steps correctly.

I have imported (via 'Import Templates') each of the 5 xml templates that are posted under this topic [Frances Fri Jan 20, 2006]. If I add a host, and then associate the data query "Trango M5830S AP - AP Statistics", the verbose query yields:

+ Running data query [11].
+ Found type = '3' [snmp query].
+ Could not find data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti-0.8.6h/resource/snmp_queries/trango_m5830s_ap_su.xml'
+ Error parsing XML file into an array.
+ Could not find data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti-0.8.6h/resource/snmp_queries/trango_m5830s_ap_su.xml'

The post from ababman states that I can find these snmp query files on the website http://www.cooplabs.net/TRANGO_CACTI_HOWTO.htm. If I drop these files in my snmp_queries directory, I get some data, but no interface data:

+ Running data query [10].
+ Found type = '3' [snmp query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti-0.8.6h/resource/snmp_queries/trango_m5830s_ap.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing SNMP walk for list of indexes @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.5454.1.20.1'
+ Located input field 'apsystemDeviceId' [walk]
+ Executing SNMP walk for data @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.5454.1.20.1.2'
+ Found item [apsystemDeviceId='HEX-00:00:01:DE:00:CC:F9'] index: 0 [from value]
+ Located input field 'apsystemBaseId' [walk]
+ Executing SNMP walk for data @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.5454.1.20.1.3'
+ Found item [apsystemBaseId='4'] index: 0 [from value]
+ Located input field 'apsystemAPId' [walk]
+ Executing SNMP walk for data @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.5454.1.20.1.4'
+ Found item [apsystemAPId='4'] index: 0 [from value]
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/cacti-0.8.6h/resource/snmp_queries/trango_m5830s_ap.xml'

Are there steps and/or files that I am missing? Please let me know of any information I can provide.

Thank you for your time.

Dan
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

I'm not completely certain why you're having such difficulties. The queries I uploaded function in my implementation, which is 0.8.6g. Before I take a swing at this one, let me first make sure - are you still having troubles?
Red

Post by Red »

Just to clear something up, do we or do we not need to copy any files into the snmp_queries folder. If so, what files and where can we download them (and do we need anything from this howto or not)?

Why I ask:

I've downloaded and imported the files attached to this thread:

cacti-host-template-trango-m5830s.xml
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_temperatureap.xml
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_temperaturesu.xml
cacti_graph_template_trango_m5830s_ap_rssisu.xml

Nothing has magically appeared in my snmp_queries directory (on my install of cacti on Ubuntu using apt-get: /usr/share/cacti/site/resource/snmp_queries). Apparently these two files are supposed to be there:

trango_m5830s_ap.xml
trango_m5830s_ap_su.xml

Those files are referenced on line 5 of cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_ap_statistics.xml and cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_su_statistics.xml. In my guessing and checking, I've renamed those files and put them in the snmp_queries directory, and I've also used the queries from the previously linked howto.

So, am I missing something stupid here?
eger
Cacti User

Post by eger »

Frances, how did you find that document? Didn't think I ever made it public...

Someday i'll try to make time to finish the document and post my Trango templates for FOX's, 5830, T-Link10, and Atlas (bugs in current MIB)
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

Hi all,

I've just set this up to e-mail me when someone posts to this thread, so I'll be sure to respond more rapidly from here on out.

Red - it sounds as if you've done the right thing. I mistakenly assumed the queries would be imported with the templates and I've been very caught up for quite a while now, so I haven't taken much time to look at this. Your understanding is correct and you should not require anything from the howto page -- I linked that to provide credit where it's due. Just to be clear, here is what should be done. Rename the cacti_data_query_* files as follows:

cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_ap_statistics.xml -> trango_m5830s_ap.xml

cacti_data_query_trango_m5830s_ap_su_statistics.xml -> trango_m5830s_ap_su.xml

...and be certain they are placed in "$cacti_root/resource/snmp_queries". My apologies for being unclear previously, and please let me know if this does not work for you.

dpoulson -- I believe you'll find your templates working if you do what's mentioned above.

Last but not least, eger -- Google found your document. ;) I was (as I usually do) verifying that I was not re-inventing the wheel.
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

BTW, when you mention templates for FOX's; AFAIK, all SNMP activity is AP-side and the AP communicates with the SU via proprietary methods. The FOX's don't have a unique system OID or anything of the sort. They're merely another subscriber unit for the AP to poll. For PtMP, then, there will be three templates (excluding EOL equipment):

M5830S-AP
M900S-AP
M2400S-AP

And of course for PtP there will be templates for the Atlas and Link-10.

I'll be happy to adapt the templates for the M900S and M2400S and post them here (once we get them working for others!), and I believe others have contributed templates for the Atlas and Link-10 already (I'll double check). I believe Trango left most of the tree intact and changed only the sysOID from one PtMP to the next, so adapting the PtMP templates should be trivial.
Red

Post by Red »

Back at it again. Still no luck. At this point I have two cacti servers where I have attempted to set up the Trango gear, I'm not sure which pieces were imported with which XML file, what I've tweaked, etc. I re-imported everything starting with the Host Template. See the attached pictures for my current errors. (Picture 1 should come before picture 4).

Also, the host template shows both AP and SU Statistics for Data Queries (Picture 1), but under the Data Queries section, only the AP Data Query shown (Picture 2).

Can I go back and delete everything I've added and start fresh with these templates?
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (85.05 KiB) Viewed 39450 times
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (80.64 KiB) Viewed 39450 times
The result of selecting the Trango host template.
The result of selecting the Trango host template.
Picture 4.png (26.15 KiB) Viewed 39451 times
I created the host as a generic SNMP, and it does retrieve the contact info, etc. Then I set the template to Trango M5830 AP...
I created the host as a generic SNMP, and it does retrieve the contact info, etc. Then I set the template to Trango M5830 AP...
Picture 3.png (31.3 KiB) Viewed 39452 times
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

Interesting. There's no reason you couldn't start from scratch, but before you do, what version of Cacti are you running? These were exported a while ago, and I seem to recall having heard that there were sometimes issues importing templates generated by an older version of Cacti into a newer version. Just in case, I'm going to verify that I'm running the latest and greatest and re-export.
Frances
Cacti User

Post by Frances »

OK, here are the templates as exported from the latest stable version. You should find attached two data query templates and one host template. Before manually copying the data query templates to $cacti_home/resource/snmp_queries/ and renaming them to remove the "cacti_data_query_" portion of the name, I would try directly importing the data queries.
Attachments
Data query for gathering AP-wide statistics from Trango M5830S PtMP wireless equipment.
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 1263 times
Data query for gathering per-SU statistics from Trango M5830S PtMP wireless equipment.
(71.84 KiB) Downloaded 1408 times
cacti_host_template_trango_m5830s_ap.xml
Host template, including dependencies, for Trango M5830S PtMP wireless equipment.
(96.01 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times