RRD Files Stopped Updating for No Reason

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

brammator

Post by brammator »

i was on cacti 0.8.6d, cactid 0.8.6c, rrdtool 1.0 (debian sarge stable) and got bug described in subject of this thread (poller_output table grows, .rrd files not updated)

so i upgraded my system to debian testing: cacti 0.8.6h-2, cactid 0.8.6g-2, rrdtool 1.2.11-0.5

all upgrade scenaries was 'succesful' and 'found'

now all i get in my log is

03/01/2006 01:40:01 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Cell: "select count(*) from poller_item"
03/01/2006 01:40:01 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Assoc: "select id from host where disabled = '' order by id"
03/01/2006 01:40:01 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Exec: "replace into settings (name,value) values ('path_webroot','/usr/share/cacti/site')"
03/01/2006 01:40:01 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Exec: "truncate table poller_time"
03/01/2006 01:40:01 PM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a Remote Process [CMD: /usr/sbin/cactid, ARGS: 0 259]
03/01/2006 01:40:02 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Exec: "replace into settings (name,value) values ('date',NOW())"
03/01/2006 01:40:02 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Assoc: "select poller_id,end_time from poller_time where poller_id = 0"
03/01/2006 01:40:02 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL Assoc: "select poller_output.output, poller_output.time, poller_output.local_data_id, poller_item.rrd_path, poller_item.rrd_name, poller_item.rrd_num from (poller_output,poller_item) where (poller_output.local_data_id=poller_item.local_data_id and poller_output.rrd_name=poller_item.rrd_name)"

and no SNMP queries at all. all settings and data/host/etc configs seems normal.

well, how to repair my broken cacti site? any suggestions? thanks.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Please run cactid from cli; best if DEBUG mode set. It would be enough to run it for a single host or two, e.g. ./cactid 0 1 .Please post your findings
Reinhard
brammator

Post by brammator »

Resolved by setting php.ini/memory_limit to 600M and three manual runs poller.php from command line (292 seconds internal limit). Too many data was stored in poller_output.

Also, there is a bug in debian testing distribution: via upgrade, conf-files in /etc/cacti/ was replaced by emptied ones (all settings was like password=''), so i mistyped "localhost" in cactid.conf 1-(

Sadly, there was no error messages about "can't connect to sql" in /var/log/cacti/*
Grogman
Cacti User

Same Problem

Post by Grogman »

Hi, I'm having the problem listed in this post. I've the following installed:

Cacti 0.8.6h
Cactid 0.8.6g
RRDTools 1.0.49-2

I have a lot of graphs working fine, but a week ago, all the graphs I create don't graph. I have looked this post, and I have seen that my poller_output table is not empty. I saw in the post a solution consisting in truncating the table manually. I have done so, and each time I truncate the poller_output table, all the graphs work, including the new ones. The problem is that after 2 or 3 polling cycles, the new graphs stop working again, and if I look in the poller_output table, it's not empty again.

I supose I'm missing something else that must be done apart of truncating the poller_output, in order to prevent further population of the table.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks to everybody :D
Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool that
follows it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Two things could be happening:

1) PHP is running out of memory, please check and increase that value in php.ini

2) RRDtool is crashing. In that case, you will get a timeout in the poller with runtime exceeding 292 seconds. You should be able to watch the running processes and see if this is happening.

Please respond with your findings.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Grogman
Cacti User

Post by Grogman »

1) I readed that PHP memory settings could create problems, and I changed the setting to 600 MB (maybe to much :-? )

2) If I run cactid from CLI, it finishes in 30 seconds...

Could this problem be related with some scripts returning "bad" values?

Thanks for your help! :D
follows it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Not typically. Please watch your RRDtool process while the poller is running and verify that it completes without issues (aka poller_output table is empty after a polling cycle has finished). Also, review that you don't get any timeout's in the poller > 292 seconds. 128MBytes is more than enough, although I set to 256MBytes at my old work.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Grogman
Cacti User

Post by Grogman »

Ok, it appears to be two separate issues malfunctioning in my cacti system. The first one is related to rrd files not being created sometimes, when I create new graphs. In that situation, poller_output is empty after the polling.

The second is that sometimes, that rrd files are created a lot of time later after creating the graph, but the graph is empty, and I only get NaN values. In that situations, poller_output isn't empty after the polling.

Now, old graps wich I created some time ago work fine, but I cannot create new graphs...

The polling takes around 30 seconds to finish.

Thanks a lot! :D
follows it?
Grogman
Cacti User

Post by Grogman »

Hi, for some reason, now I'm able to create graphs, and they appear to be working correctly. Nevertheless, poller_out is not empty, and it's growing with each graph I create, so I suppose data is being lost, and with time, poller_output will turn really big...

For some time, I believed that it was happening only with scripts, but snmp requests are also affected...

Thanks! :D
follows it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Dump your database and e-mail to me. Make sure it has some of those entries in it.

Thanks,

TheWitness