Multi CPU Utilization Graph

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

AndyStewart
Cacti User

Post by AndyStewart »

screenshot of detail screen. Any time i select any of the cpu's from the popup list, then click save, it goes back to the summary screen, but then re-entering the detail screen, they've all reset back to "None" - no errors displayed anywhere...
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (98.34 KiB) Viewed 20007 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 20007 times
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i want to know, who's been drinking my pint!!!

[size=75][Windows 2003 & IIS6] [Cacti 0.8.7b] [ActivePerl 5.8.8.817] [MySql 5.0.19] [NetSNMP 5.2.1.2-1] [PHP 5.1.2] [RRDTool 1.2.11]
[Plugins: PluginArchitecture, Monitor, Discovery, Threshold, Update, Reports, Manage, RealTime][/size]
argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

It certainly seems like you are doing everything right! But its not saving the changes...

Once you've made the change does the next screen say (at the top) SAVE SUCCESSFUL?

Argon0
No longer a n00by, probably, by now an 0ldby

Now Head of Technology at RSCH, back to the prickly subject of Monitorring....
AndyStewart
Cacti User

Post by AndyStewart »

yup - comes back saying "Save Succesful"....

i'm confused...
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i want to know, who's been drinking my pint!!!

[size=75][Windows 2003 & IIS6] [Cacti 0.8.7b] [ActivePerl 5.8.8.817] [MySql 5.0.19] [NetSNMP 5.2.1.2-1] [PHP 5.1.2] [RRDTool 1.2.11]
[Plugins: PluginArchitecture, Monitor, Discovery, Threshold, Update, Reports, Manage, RealTime][/size]
argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

What happens if you make changes to other graphs in the same way (i.e. from Graph Management goto a graph (maybe one of the CPU graphs) and change the data source - then see if it keeps the change...)

Argon0

AndyStewart
Cacti User

Post by AndyStewart »

Just tested it by changing the source of CPU2 to CPU0 and it saves successfully. Swapped it back and its ok as well.

argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

This gets stranger and stranger!!!

Time to ask for more help I think, I'll post a question in the Windows Help forum, linking to here.

I've raised it over here: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=57966#57966

Argon0

BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

If settings are not being saved, it's a problem with MySQL. What version of everything are you running? Try running this: mysqlcheck --auto-repair --databases cacti
AndyStewart
Cacti User

Post by AndyStewart »

It only seems to be when saving the settings on this one template, which is confusing.

All versions of S/W as per signature.

Ran the mysqlcheck command, all values returned "OK"

argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

BSOD, could it be to do with being exported from a Linux machine?

Argon0

Edge

Post by Edge »

Hi all,

I'm a one day old Cacti (on Fedore core 4) user, and till now all looks like it's working fine.

Anyway.. I've got a 4 CPU box, and I'm now trying to use the "cacti_graph_template_multi_cpu_utilization_on_4_processor_box_v2.xml" from argon0.

For some reason it's not generating the images, and when I have a look at "Graph Management > Multi CPU Utilization on Dell PowerEdge SC1425" (with the Debug mode on) it will show at the end of the log:
RRDTool Says:
ERROR: opening '/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu0_61.rrd': No such file or directory
I've had a look at /var/www/html/caccti/rra, and there are a lot of .rdd files, but no "dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu0_61.rrd"

I thought that the .rdd file gets generated by Cacti... or... am I missing something here?

** dump of debug

Code: Select all

RRDTool Command:
/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-108000 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Multi CPU Utilization on Dell PowerEdge SC1425" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="" \
DEF:a="/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu0_61.rrd":cpu0:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu1_62.rrd":cpu1:AVERAGE \
DEF:c="/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu2_63.rrd":cpu2:AVERAGE \
DEF:d="/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu3_64.rrd":cpu3:AVERAGE \
CDEF:cdefa=a,b,+,c,+,d,+,4,/ \
AREA:cdefa#F9FD5F:"Mean CPU\:"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:MIN:"Min\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf %%\n"  \
LINE1:a#0000FF:"CPU0\:"  \
GPRINT:a:LAST:"    Current\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:a:MIN:"Min\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:a:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf %%\n"  \
LINE1:b#00A348:"CPU1\:"  \
GPRINT:b:LAST:"    Current\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:b:MIN:"Min\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:b:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf %%\n"  \
LINE1:c#C4FD3D:"CPU2\:"  \
GPRINT:c:AVERAGE:"    Current\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:c:MIN:"Min\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:c:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf %%\n"  \
LINE1:d#FF0000:"CPU3\:"  \
GPRINT:d:AVERAGE:"    Current\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:d:MIN:"Min\:%8.2lf %%"  \
GPRINT:d:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf %%\n" 
RRDTool Says:

ERROR: opening '/var/www/html/cacti/rra/dell_poweredge_sc1425_cpu0_61.rrd': No such file or directory
Thanks for this great tool!
argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

Hi, did you follow the instructions posted with the last template (I.e. When andystewart asked for instructions?)

Basicalt you need to get cacti to create the data sources by graphing each cou separately first.

Once this has been done, you then create the multi-cpu graph, and assign those data sources to it.

I will go back and clean up this thread later on today...

Argon0

argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

Hi, did you follow the instructions posted with the last template (I.e. When andystewart asked for instructions?)

Basicalt you need to get cacti to create the data sources by graphing each cou separately first.

Once this has been done, you then create the multi-cpu graph, and assign those data sources to it.

Argon0

Edge

Post by Edge »

argon0 wrote:Hi, did you follow the instructions posted with the last template (I.e. When andystewart asked for instructions?)

Argon0
Yes I did try, however I do not see any data in the 'Data Query [SNMP - Get Process Information]', so I do not see the CPU's!

This is what I see when I following your instructions.

(note: NO Data Query [SNMP - Get Porcessor Information]

When I click on 'run this data query in debug mode' I get this:

This is what is showing in the 'Data Query Debug Information':

The system is a Dual Xeon system running Fedora core 4.
When I to a 'top' and press '1' I see 4 CPU's (CPU0, CPU1, CPU2 and CPU3)

I think that it's got something todo with my SNMP setup?.
I am using a 'custom' SNMP read community name, but this is as you can see working fine for all the other queries..
Edge

Post by Edge »

I think I found the problem.. :-(

I guess all you ppl are runing this script on a Windows OS..
What about multi-processor systems?
----------------------------------

Sorry - the CPU statistics (both original percentages, and the newer raw statistics) both refer to the system as a whole. There is currently no way to access individual statistics for a particular processor (except on Solaris systems - see below).

Note that although the Host Resources table includes a hrProcessorTable, the current implementation suffers from two major flaws. Firstly, it doesn't currently recognise the presence of multiple processors, and simply assumes that all systems have precisely one CPU. Secondly, it doesn't calculate the hrProcessorLoad value correctly, and either returns a dummy value (based on the load average) or nothing at all.

As of net-snmp version 5.1, the Solaris operating system delivers some information about multiple CPU's such as speed and type.

Other than that, to monitor a multi-processor system, you're currently out of luck. We hope to address this in a future release of the agent.
argon0
Cacti User

Post by argon0 »

I AM monitorring windows machines, yes, but using Cacti on Linux. It SHOULD be possible to get this to work with Linux/Unix, as long as the SNMP information is there.

I noticed from your sshots that you ARE running the Netware query and not the SNMP query for processors. You could try adding the SNMP query from the "add data query" drop down list, and see what happens...

Argon0

p.s. sorry its taken me so long to come back to you!!