EDIT: Advanced Ping Template Version 1.3 for Cacti 0.8.6g

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

PiercedKnob
Cacti User

Post by PiercedKnob »

nerdtalker wrote:This just plainly isn't working for me.

I've imported everything, and made sure that it's all executable by everyone, but when I create a new host, and give it the graph template of PING - Advanced Ping v1.3, I'm not prompted about anything like I'm supposed to, nor do the graphs generate anything.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm running PHP4.
I noticed that to get this working i need to first add a host (i have created a host template called Ping which adds the Advanced Ping template). Then once created, i then go to the Data Sources and create that. From there i then go to the Graph Management and create a graph for it.

This seems to work fine for me (eventually :) )
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

To all:
Please switch to DEBUG mode (Settings-> Logging Level) and post log/cacti.log for exactly one poller's run. Don't forget to reset logging level afterwards or cacti will fill up your disk space...
Please append follwing information:
- parameters used (e.g. ICMP, UDP, TCP and Port if needed)
- Downed Host Detection settings
- Status of Host in Devices list
- whether you configured SNMP community string or not (please do not send your plain community string!)
- crontab settings for cacti (whole crontab entry, please)
Then please "su" to the user the poller is running as (usually: cactiuser) and run the advanced ping command against your failing host and post all this together
Reinhard
dawald

packet size

Post by dawald »

hi there,

after struggeling with sockets support in php and permission problems I finally got it to work. What a great script. I guess there is no more need for the fping perl-script.

As we have applications running on our network with large packet size (up to 1500bytes), it would be great to enter the number of bytes a packet could have. What do you think about this feature ?

I guess a standard ICMP packet has a size of 56bytes ?

cheers... :roll:
nexus

Post by nexus »

ok.trying to install this. when it comes time to import the xml I get the following error

Error: XML: Cacti version does not exist
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I might add the packet size thingy to the next version of Cacti either the next point version or 0.9.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
nerdtalker

Post by nerdtalker »

lvm wrote:To all:
Please switch to DEBUG mode (Settings-> Logging Level) and post log/cacti.log for exactly one poller's run. Don't forget to reset logging level afterwards or cacti will fill up your disk space...
Please append follwing information:
- parameters used (e.g. ICMP, UDP, TCP and Port if needed)
- Downed Host Detection settings
- Status of Host in Devices list
- whether you configured SNMP community string or not (please do not send your plain community string!)
- crontab settings for cacti (whole crontab entry, please)
Then please "su" to the user the poller is running as (usually: cactiuser) and run the advanced ping command against your failing host and post all this together
Reinhard
I'm still having problems:

Paramters: Not prompted for any while creating device, associating graph template, or creating data source manually. Assumedly default.
Downed Host: Ping and SNMP, UDP ping, 400 timeout, 2 retry
SNMP comm: None, since the device is a remote host without SNMP (just google.com 64.233.167.99 )
crontab settings: */5 * * * * cacti php /usr/share/cacti/site/poller.php > /dev/null 2>&1
su to cacti, run advanced ping:

Code: Select all

cacti@XboxServ:/usr/share/cacti/site/scripts$ php ss_fping.php google.com 20 ICMP

Warning: socket_create() Unable to create socket [1]: Operation not permitted in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/ping.php on line 96

Warning: socket_set_block() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/ping.php on line 97

Warning: socket_create() Unable to create socket [1]: Operation not permitted in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/ping.php on line 96

Warning: socket_set_block() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/ping.php on line 97

gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Unable to create socket: This leads to ths assumption, that the user "cacti" which runs the poller does not have permissions for creating ICMP sockets. This is a common problem with unixes. Is it possible for you to change "20 ICMP" to sth like "20 TCP 80"?
Reinhard
nerdtalker

Post by nerdtalker »

lvm wrote:Unable to create socket: This leads to ths assumption, that the user "cacti" which runs the poller does not have permissions for creating ICMP sockets. This is a common problem with unixes. Is it possible for you to change "20 ICMP" to sth like "20 TCP 80"?
Reinhard
Awesome, that seems to work. Now, how do I change that from within cacti, since I'm never prompted for that kind of information...

XboxServ:/usr/share/cacti/site/scripts# php ss_fping.php google.com 20 TCP
min:63.4400 avg:82.7500 max:131.1000 dev:14.7154 loss:0.0000XboxServ:/usr/share/
vluce

Post by vluce »

I installed this template with cacti 0.8.6h under windows with iis, php5.1.2

I added extension=php_sockets.dll to php.ini

When I log in with admin account i have the folowwing result :
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts>php ss_fping.php 10.0.33.253 20 ICMP
min:9.6200 avg:10.2310 max:15.0300 dev:1.1365 loss:0.0000

When I log in with cacti account i have the folowing result :
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts>php ss_fping.php 10.0.33.253 20 ICMP
loss:100.00

I gave modification right to cacti user to the c:\php directory

What right should i give to cacti user ?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

nerdtalker wrote:
lvm wrote:Unable to create socket: This leads to ths assumption, that the user "cacti" which runs the poller does not have permissions for creating ICMP sockets. This is a common problem with unixes. Is it possible for you to change "20 ICMP" to sth like "20 TCP 80"?
Reinhard
Awesome, that seems to work. Now, how do I change that from within cacti, since I'm never prompted for that kind of information...

XboxServ:/usr/share/cacti/site/scripts# php ss_fping.php google.com 20 TCP
min:63.4400 avg:82.7500 max:131.1000 dev:14.7154 loss:0.0000XboxServ:/usr/share/
Please goto Data Sources and select the appropriate one. There you'll find the input parms (Hope I remember this well ...)
Reinhard
Diceman
Cacti User

Post by Diceman »

nevermind my question, it is about the ICMP when not root error. is there a workaround for this besides pinging with tcp? does it really make a difference?

i am now having a problem with php and perl sessions not closing. does anyone else? i think i read something about it somewhere, but dont remember where. it doesnt do it all the time, just sometimes it will hold them in. also, since this script, a lot of my graphs are developing holes in them for some reason. any ideas?
nexus

Post by nexus »

when importing the xml i get this error? anyone have any suggestions?

Error: XML: Cacti version does not exist.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

nexus wrote:when importing the xml i get this error? anyone have any suggestions?

Error: XML: Cacti version does not exist.
What cacti version are you running? If it is outdated, you should consider upgrading
Reinhard
nexus

Post by nexus »

0.8.6g-1
nahun
Cacti User

Post by nahun »

This is an awesome tool, works great for me.

I have one question. Right now, I'm using this to monitor devices behind a router with port maps to the devices. They are all usually like port 60010 to port 80. So that works fine. I'm also using the Threshold plugin to send alerts if the device stop responding. I'm using the average latency to test the threshold right now, but loss would be better I think since its not an average. But I would also like current ping latency to monitor instead of just the average. Just like the default ping template. Is this possible right now and I'm just stupid?

oh, just thought of this, anyone know if its possible to have a device be polled on a different port? So in the hostname field x.x.x.x:60010? I don't see a way to set the poller to use TCP ping instead of ICMP so I'm guessing there is no way.

Thanks