Cacti not Polling SNMPv1

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rsharpe

Cacti not Polling SNMPv1

Post by rsharpe »

For some reason cacti will not poll my Cisco PIX. I can do an snmpwalk from the command line and it returns just fine using SNMPv1. When I try to setup the device it allows returns with an error. I did a tcpdump to see what traffic was being sent back and forth, but nothing is being captured so I would have to conclude that Cacti isn't actually trying to poll my PIX device. I setup a test device with SNMPv2 and it worked just fine, then I switch it to use SNMPv1, and the device became broken. I don't understand what the problem is because I have two cacti servers running the same version 0.8.6h both running Cactid 0.8.6g. Suggestions??
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Some time ago, there was a bug reported against PIXies not updating UPTIME correctly. Please search the forums for that
Reinhard
rsharpe

Post by rsharpe »

I have read that post particular post. I has nothing to do with that, this is about SNMPv1, it just so happens that I discovered while trying to setup cacti to poll the PIX.

As I said in my previous post we have two cacti server, one on the inside of the PIX and one on the outside of the PIX. Currently the one on the outside of the PIX is setup to poll it and is working just fine, and has been for over a year. Today when I was configuring the inside cacti server to poll the PIX it would not work. They were configured exactly the same. They have the same version of Cacti, the same version of Cactid. The differences are the Linux Distros... the outside server is FC3 and the inside is FC4. There are also differences in the PHP and NET-SNMP, they are as follows:

Working Cacti Server
FC3
Cacti 0.8.6h
Cactid 0.8.6g
PHP 4.3.9-3
NET-SNMP 5.1.2-11

Broken Cacti Server
FC4
Cacti 0.8.6h
Cactid 0.8.6g
PHP 5.0.4-10.5
NET-SNMP 5.1.3.1-1

Inorder for Cacti to be able to poll a PIX it must use SNMPv1 correct??? Now when I was testing my theory I setup a Test device (a Router) to poll using SNMPv2 it worked fine, I captured packets. Then when I changed the SNMP version for the device to version 1 it was then broken.... there were no packets sent. Cacti wasn't even attempt to send SNMP messages to the router. If I knew how to debug PHP or NET-SNMP to see were it was puking I would, so if someone knows how please let me know.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Hmmm, what was you Downed Host Detection? Does it use SNMP? Normally, I would required exactly this one. But it _may_ be that this bit uses SNMPV1. May you, just for testing purpose, change this to PING (ICMP will need root access, perhaps UDP is suitable for you)
Reinhard
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Try disabling php snmp support.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]