End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

Can someone tell me if I need to run 'setup.php' in the mactrack plugin folder to integrate the polling with cacti, only even after setting up sites, adding devices etc, I'm still getting nothing polled. Nothing at all. The main router still shows 'unknown', even though I've configured it correctly.

All advanced settings are correct as far as I can see, and Cacti is polling the devices for normal stats ok.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

tman wrote:Can someone tell me if I need to run 'setup.php' in the mactrack plugin folder to integrate the polling with cacti, only even after setting up sites, adding devices etc, I'm still getting nothing polled. Nothing at all. The main router still shows 'unknown', even though I've configured it correctly.

All advanced settings are correct as far as I can see, and Cacti is polling the devices for normal stats ok.
No, it is not required to run setup.php, as it would do absolutely nothing for you. Setup.php is more of a registration file for Cacti to see and parse to determine what needs to be done.

Does your Cacti log display any mactrack errors? Have you tried running the mactack poller manually to see if there are any errors? Can you email me your poller.php so I can ensure that the plugin architecture was properly applied?
vedd99

mactrack.sql

Post by vedd99 »

Is there a way to import the latest mactrack.sql file into the cacti database without loosing all your existing mactrack data?
williem
Cacti User

Re: mactrack.sql

Post by williem »

Hey,

when There were changes from the mactrack.sql file I just ran the database_upgrade.php from the command propt to take care of the changes.

Regards,

Willie

vedd99 wrote:Is there a way to import the latest mactrack.sql file into the cacti database without loosing all your existing mactrack data?
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
spotman

Post by spotman »

This is going to be so nice when it's all going :)

Thank you to the team here for all your hard work!

I have a Juniper M20 I am trying to get to work with MacTrack.

I have added a device type, but I assume the reason it is not working is because of the functions for scanning the ports.

Has anyone had any luck/experience/pointers with the Junipers?

Thank you for any suggestions :)
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

If you can provide access to one of the Juniper switches for me via the internet through your firewall, I can integrate.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

Can someone give me an example of the changes made to poller.php for mactrack to poll correctly. I'm still having problems, and want to check that everything looks ok.

Thanks
williem
Cacti User

poller

Post by williem »

Tman,

I would recommend going to your mactrack plugin directory and type
php poller_mactrack.php -d -f

See what the results are. If youa re getting the mactrack tab at the top of your screen, it shold be installed. Also, make sure that you go to settings and check your "Device Tracking" tab. the default "data collection timing" is set to disabled. When you are testing, it is good to set that time to 1 hour and set the "start time" to the next 5 minute increment.

The plugin is designed to work off of your regular poller. there is nothing to put in the windows scheduler or cron.

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
mgob

Post by mgob »

everytime i try and save a location or a device i get 'Save Failed' at the top, any ideas guys?

PS. apache's error log shows nothing, cacti's error log shows nothing.

-MGOB
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Can't say for sure what your problem is, but are you sure you've updated your database?
spotman

Post by spotman »

TheWitness wrote:If you can provide access to one of the Juniper switches for me via the internet through your firewall, I can integrate.

TheWitness
Thats really nice of you :)

Do you need ssh access into the router, or do you need just access to a box on my network so that you can snmpwalk it etc? I can possibly work something like this out, I really appreciate your time. I will PM you.

-Thanks
spotman

Post by spotman »

mgob wrote:everytime i try and save a location or a device i get 'Save Failed' at the top, any ideas guys?

PS. apache's error log shows nothing, cacti's error log shows nothing.

-MGOB
My installation also exhibits this problem, but it really does save, so I guess it's not that bad.

I have cacti 86-g, and I have downloaded the mactrack.zip from page 26 of this thread I believe, and I have ran the database_upgrade.php via command line.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Here is an updated copy of last nights SVN for the plugin. Everyone test this version and let us know if you find any bugs. I guess I will try to keep an updated version on here anytime anything is fixed, otherwise we keep getting old bug reports.

All old versions of the plugin version are now removed from their posts to avoid confusion.

Also, to note. There is a new folder in this plugin called "patched files". These are updated Cacti files that are required for the plugin version of Mactrack to work. You must override your original Cacti files with these (just like the Plugin Architecture). These files include all necessary Plugin Architecture modifications also.

And ofcourse, please run the database_upgrade.php before testing, as otherwise things may not work!
Last edited by cigamit on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spotman

Post by spotman »

cigamit wrote:Here is an updated copy of last nights SVN for the plugin. Everyone test this version and let us know if you find any bugs. I guess I will try to keep an updated version on here anytime anything is fixed, otherwise we keep getting old bug reports.

All old versions of the plugin version are now removed from their posts to avoid confusion.

Also, to note. There is a new folder in this plugin called "patched files". These are updated Cacti files that are required for the plugin version of Mactrack to work. You must override your original Cacti files with these (just like the Plugin Architecture). These files include all necessary Plugin Architecture modifications also.

And ofcourse, please run the database_upgrade.php before testing, as otherwise things may not work!
Sweet, thank you :)

I upgraded this first (still using 86g) and it still had the file not saved error, so I now upgraded to 86h, and everything works like a charm :)
williem
Cacti User

plugin

Post by williem »

Cigamit,

Downloaded and installed the new version of the mactrack plugin. everything looks good so far. worked much better once I remembered to run the database_upgrade script <g>.

Regards,

Willie