End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Whomever,

Two things - one, where are you exporting the device types from? I've created a few for the devices we have and would be happy to share.

Second, where would one go to add another field to the view - we would like to see the port speed setting (if possible) when hunting down mac addresses. Maybe it would be easier as a hover note...?
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit stupid, but I've added the mactrack plugin (from 17/01), and it's all in Cacti (Win2k, 0.8.6h) ok. I've got a network of HP ProCurve devices, which mactrack seems to have support for.

I've created a site, added all the relevant device types, added the main router as in initial device and enabled it. Now what??? Nothing is displayed, nothing I can see it being polled. The router shows with a status of 'unknown'. Have I missed something obvious???
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Are you using the plugin or the native version?

I know that the plugin version will call the mactrack poller automagically, I'm not sure about native - but in either case, have you configured a polling interval and a start time? You'll find both on the mactrack settings page unerd Console/Settings/Device Tracking
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

Cheers, I'm using the plugin version. I checked all my settings, and they seem ok.

I'll wait for the next mactrack poll cycle to see if anything populates and let you know.
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Someone else suggested setting the first time just after whatever time it is when you set it - on the same schedule as Cacti's regular poller (5 minutes...obviously)
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Oh hey, anyone know what I need to do to get this device working (it's an aironet 1100 - and we have several 1200s as well). I've created a device type but what else, perhaps a new scanning function? I'll look at that until or unless someone here provides an answer:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: HOST: _2a3..com is alive, processing has begun.
DEBUG: Scanning function is 'get_IOS_dot1dTpFdbEntry_ports'
DEBUG: VLAN data collected. There are -3 VLANS.
DEBUG: ifIndex data collection complete
DEBUG: ifTypes data collection complete.
DEBUG: ifNames data collection complete.
DEBUG: ifAlias data collection complete.
DEBUG: Cisco Voice VLAN collection complete
DEBUG: Voice VLANs do not exist on this device
DEBUG: ifInterfaces assembly complete.
INFO: HOST: _2a3..com, TYPE: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Soft, No active end devices on this device.DEBUG: SQL: UPDATE mac_track_devices SET ports_total='2',vlans_total='0',ports_active='0',ports_trunk='0',macs_active='0',snmp_readstring='02r',snmp_sysName='_2a3..com',snmp_sysLocation=' Building 2nd Floor',snmp_sysContact=' Helpdesk ',snmp_sysObjectID='.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.507',snmp_sysDescr='Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software   IOS (tm) C1100 Software (C1100-K9W7-M), Version 12.2(13)JA4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)  Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport  Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.  Compi',snmp_sysUptime='310870669',snmp_status='3',last_runmessage='Data collection completed ok.  No active end devices on this device.',last_rundate='2006-01-20 13:20:30',last_runduration='0.469' WHERE device_id ='30'
1200:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: HOST: _1a1.ecom..com is alive, processing has begun.
DEBUG: Scanning function is 'get_IOS_dot1dTpFdbEntry_ports'
DEBUG: VLAN data collected. There are -3 VLANS.
DEBUG: ifIndex data collection complete
DEBUG: ifTypes data collection complete.
DEBUG: ifNames data collection complete.
DEBUG: ifAlias data collection complete.
DEBUG: Cisco Voice VLAN collection complete
DEBUG: Voice VLANs do not exist on this device
DEBUG: ifInterfaces assembly complete.
INFO: HOST: _1a1..com, TYPE: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Soft, No active end devices on this device.DEBUG: SQL: UPDATE mac_track_devices SET ports_total='2',vlans_total='0',ports_active='0',ports_trunk='0',macs_active='0',snmp_readstring='02r',snmp_sysName='_1a1',snmp_sysLocation='',snmp_sysContact='Aironet Wireless Communications, Inc.',snmp_sysObjectID='.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.525',snmp_sysDescr='Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software   IOS (tm) C1200 Software (C1200-K9W7-M), Version 12.2(15)JA,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)  Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport  Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.  Compiled Fri 09-Apr-04',snmp_sysUptime='2687991',snmp_status='3',last_runmessage='Data collection completed ok.  No active end devices on this device.',last_rundate='2006-01-20 13:20:30',last_runduration='0.4458' WHERE device_id ='27'
williem
Cacti User

Nortel Switches

Post by williem »

Has anyone had any luck in scanning nortel switches. I have baystatk 450, BPs 2000, and Passport 8600.

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
Allen K

Post by Allen K »

I also have 425-24t, 450's, BPS 2000.

I have given The Witness access to a couple of my switches, I know he has done some work with integrating these.

The problem for me, is that I can't get mactrack to even scan.. but i'll post a new topic on that :-?
aLTeReGo

Cisco 3750

Post by aLTeReGo »

I notice that you have the Cisco 3750 with base code IPSERVICES in your Cisco package. I have a Cisco 3750 with Advanced IP Services. "C3750-ADVIPSERVICESK"

Right now I get an error whenever I add this device. Can I assume this is because it is not a perfect match for the 3750 you already have?

Is there any information I can provide you to have this added? I also have Cisco 3500XL and Cisco 1200 Series AP's if you are interested, but I would really like the 3750 with Advanced IP Services to work.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The "way" Device Types work is that you must match at "least" the first characters of the sysObjectID for the device. Then, the package also will search the sysDescr for *match*. So, for example, if you have a Cisco Catalyst C4003, you would have "C4003" as your sysDescr_match field and then the sysObjectID for the Cisco product line.

Another note: The Cisco Wireless are not "officially supported" right now. I am still struggling to get the MAC information from them. Need a good controlled test environment, which I don't have at the moment. Volunteers are welcome.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
aLTeReGo

Post by aLTeReGo »

Then do you have any idea why I am receving "error" on the status of the switch? The IP address is good, and so is the community string.
Attachments
Device Tracking - Devices status
Device Tracking - Devices status
3750-1.JPG (12.89 KiB) Viewed 6428 times
Device Tracking - Devices - Details
Device Tracking - Devices - Details
3750-2.JPG (103.47 KiB) Viewed 6428 times
[img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/images/smallblack/left.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_9.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_7.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_8.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_6.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_5.png[/img][img]http://status.gotrillian.com/img/smallblack-rendezvous-47.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/temp/status_uid1_1.png[/img][img]http://dug.servebeer.com/trillian/images/smallblack/right.png[/img]
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

Hi,

found following error: In cacti mactrack shows only the last manual runs at the time selection. At phpMyAdmin the last run is correct.

Torsten
Attachments
mactrack-run.gif
mactrack-run.gif (16.37 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

aLTeReGo,

You need to add a device type for the "Advance..." version of the Cisco 3750. It should work after you have done that.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Torsten,

It appears as if your MacTrack scanner has not been functioning for a few days. BTB, the THold tables are not related to the MacTrack ones.

Just another note, the software is still under development and something may have happened to break polling. Just over this weekend, several changes including bug fixes and enhancements were made.

Cigamit is doing a great job keeping up.

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Willie,

The 425-T switches are tested and have base support. Don't know how that extends to other Bay/Nortel products though. I need feedback on the storage on the "portname" and "portnumber". Right now, I am not storing the "portname" because, I don't know the best place to get it from. Should it be "ifDescr", "ifAlias", or is there a proprietary MIB to pull it from?

To make the Nortels work, you will need to add device types to the device type database.

Please provide feedback on the port information storage and how well they are supported.

TheWitness