End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Torsten,

It is a temporary table used only during polling. It is truncated after each polling cycle is complete.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

TheWitness wrote:I will need both files. Email might be the best medium. I am assuming that the reason you have 131 trunks is because of IP Phones. Is this correct?TheWitness
This is done.

It's semi correct in that they did have a few IP Phones but they have all since been removed.
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

TheWitness wrote:EDIT: Looks like I have IP addressed where VLAN's should be :oops: What do you expect for free...
It's much more than expected already - I wouldn't worry about an oops now and then. I certainly don't. My faith is in the end product - which is looking better every time...and the ride is kind of fun as well.
rusky

No IP info in mactrack.please help

Post by rusky »

Hi
I installed the 17 Jan version of the mactrack plugin version and it scans my ports on CISCO Catalyst switches. I can see mac addresses but no IP's. What should I do?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You need to have routers included in each site object to obtain IP information or the switches must be L3 ones.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
williem
Cacti User

MacTrack

Post by williem »

Larry,

I have a couple of very minor issues with the 1/17 version of mactrack plugin.

1) the plugin tries to remember the page number of the report. What this is doing to me is that If I have 1 switch and am on page 3 of the ports, I choose another switch form the drop down, it moves to page 3 but if I change switches, I would expect it to move to page 1. Especially if the new switch only has 1 page of data <g>.
2) I I choose "Most Recent" in show and "All" in device, I get no data returned. If I chose any switch in device instead of "all", I get the data as expected.

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
torstentfk
Cacti User

Re: MacTrack

Post by torstentfk »

williem wrote:Larry,
2) I I choose "Most Recent" in show and "All" in device, I get no data returned. If I chose any switch in device instead of "all", I get the data as expected.
Willie
allmost the same here: If I select a site created before the new version all macs are shown. Only the sites created with new soft V1/17 does not show anything; choosing a switch does not show the macs.

Torsten
williem
Cacti User

macTrack

Post by williem »

larry,

Strike my item 1. It was cockpit error. Site as set to "N/A". changing it to a valid site along with "Most Recent" and "All" did give me the data that I was expecting.

but I did find something else. With the prior version of MacTrack, I put in the port to exclude for my
System: Cabletron Systems, Inc. 2H252-25R Rev 4.06.05 07/11/00-- 13:50 ofc
Uptime: 2443082961
Hostname: H10015P5, 2SE
ObjectID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.52.3.9.3.4.80

by typing 25. this still works if I specify a scan date in "show". However, If I choose "Most Recent", it gives me all of my trunck port data too.

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
Rossco
Cacti User

Adding device types.

Post by Rossco »

Hi Gents

Could anybody give me a pointer on how I add additional mac track device types?

I have a reasonable amount of cisco switches/routers and am finding that my 2950 switches are shown as unrecognised device types. I tried to bodge it by adding an additional row into "mac_track_device_types" but this hasnt worked so far.

Once I know how to do it, I'll submit any extra device types I come across to increase the supported models.

Many thanks

Rossco
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

The first working (mostly anyway) release of the reports interface had "many" issues as noted in earlier threads. The current (not released version) has changed significantly. I will be pushing another change to SVN for Cigmit to roll out before Saturday.

I believe that you will quite like the new interterface. I will leave it out there for a while for early adopters to test and provide feedback. After we have all kicked the tires, I will lock this thread and release the code.

I am looking for people who have created Populated Device Types, to attach the export output to this thread so that I can incorporate it in the release.

Thanks,

Larry

Rossco
Cacti User

device types

Post by Rossco »

Hi gents

All working now except for the DNS lookup for some reason - Another evenings entertainment I think.

Witness - Thanks for the update. I'll attach any extra device types in a few days when I've had time to import most of my devices.

Cheers

Rossco
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Here is the only extra device that I have to offer at the moment.

Device Type: Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch

(Also, just to note, CSV files are not allowed as attachments to the forums, so you can rename it to txt and still have it import just fine)
Attachments
Cisco3560.txt
Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch
(194 Bytes) Downloaded 672 times
pepj
Cacti User

some device types

Post by pepj »

Hi

At this time I have these one (see attached file)
Catalyst 2948G , WS-C2948
Catalyst 2950 , C2950-I6Q4L2-M
Catalyst 2950 , C2950-I6K2L2Q4-M
Catalyst 3500XL Switch , C3500XL-C3H2S-M
Catalyst 3550 Switch , C3550-I5K2L2Q3-M
Catalyst 3550 Switch , C3550-I5Q3L2-M2
Catalyst 6000 Router IOS SupI , c6sup1_rp-JS-M
Attachments
cacti_device_type_xport.txt
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 288 times
Jean-Michel
cacti 0.8.7e | cmd & cactid (cactid 0.8.x) | Linux | MySQL Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.12, for Win32 | PHP v5.2.6 | Apache v2.x | Thold | Plugin Architecture | plugin "configuration manager" http://cactiusers.org/forums/topic257.html | plugin "IP subnet calculator IPv4 / IPV6" http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15428 | plugin banner http://docs.cacti.net/userplugin:banner | Net-SNMP 5.5.2 | cygwin 1.5.18 of 02.07.2005
williem
Cacti User

Mac Track

Post by williem »

Larry,

I have been looking at the device types and have noticed that all of the routers are using "cabletron switch ports" for their scanning function. Is this correct?

Regards,

Willie

ps here are some additional device types.
Cisco 6509 Sup II c6sup2_rp-PSV-M get_IOS_dot1DTpFdbEntry_ports
Cisco 6513 sup II c6sup2_rp-DSV-M get_IOS_dot1DTpFdbEntry_ports
Cisco 3620 Router C3620-J-M get_cabletron_switch_ports
MMAC8 EMM-E6 get_cabletron_switch_ports
williem
Cacti User

MacTrack suggestion

Post by williem »

Larry,

I really do like the work that you have done with MacTrack. I have a suggestion.

It would be really nice if you could queue up a single site for a run outside of the normal run. Also, it would be nice if you could enable / disable mactrack by site. If I am doing a study of utililization on one of my buildings, I may add them in as a new site. Once the study is finished, I dont want to have to keep polling them but I would also not like to delete the site as I know that I will have to come back to it 6 months from now. One a one or 2 switch site, it isnt that bad to go into each switch and disable the polling. but, in my large sites, I am talking 60 to 100 switches.

The easiest way to do this would be to add a check box on the site form for "disable scanning". When the user hits save, execute something along these lines:
update mac_track_devices set disabled = 'Y' where site_id = [site id of the site we are currently on]
Reverse it if the user unckecks the box.

Regards,

Willie