Cactid 0.8.6g problem

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

farhan

Cactid 0.8.6g problem

Post by farhan »

Hi folks,

Cactid has not been polling since i upgraded to 0.8.6g. It has been

missing the polling.

Platform information:

mysql = 4.1.12
PHP = 4.3.9
net-snmp = 5.1.2-11

Please help me.

Error: The output of php poller.php is

Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
01/17/2006 04:21:31 PM - POLLER: Poller[0] Maximum runtime of 292 seconds exceeded. Exiting.
01/17/2006 04:21:31 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:292.7455 Method:cactid Processes:1 Threads:1 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:33 RRDsProcessed:0
PHP Warning: pclose(): 47 is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/cacti/lib/rrd.php on line 48
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

It looks like RRDtool is misbehaving as the stream is not opened when poller.php is attempting to close. Is the path correct in Settings->Paths?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
farhan

Post by farhan »

Thanks for prompt reply. i have checked that rrdtool path is correct. It was working fine before upgradation. And one more thing I noticed is that if I run php cmd.php and then php poller.php it works fine and it is populating thes graphs. so, in the mean time i am running the crontab job which runs php cmd.php 1st and then php poller.php.
Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Farhan
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

For me to help you we have to do it online. Right now your profile is quite sparse. You need to provide country and timezone information in your profile along with IM information. I will have to access your box to do the fix and I can't do it from my office EST (Detroit, MI/USA).

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Also,

There is a patch to Cactid 0.8.6g. I believe that it is in the Announcement's forum. Don't know if raX has published. You can goto the web based SVN for "BRANCH_0_8_6" and download thefollowing updated files:

poller.c
cactid.h

Then re-make cactid and your problems might go away.

TheWitness

farhan

Post by farhan »

Thanks for suggestions. I have already replaced these files from

http://forums.cacti.net/about11424.html. But the situation is same. Any

other idea? Why is it happening

Thanks,

Farhan
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You can reach me at any of my IM's below. Or send me a PM and I will provide you a phone #.

monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem too!

I get these logs messages:

01/18/2006 05:09:54 PM - POLLER: Poller[0] Maximum runtime of 292 seconds exceeded. Exiting.
01/18/2006 05:09:54 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:292.4478 Method:cactid Processes:10 Threads:10 Hosts:44 HostsPerProcess:5 DataSources:1879 RRDsProcessed:0

My versions are:

cacti = 0.8.6h
cactid = 0.8.6h (but version says 0.8.6g! version with http://forums.cacti.net/about11424.html patch)
rrdtool = 1.0.50
php = 5.0.4
mysql = 4.1.16
linux = Fedora Core 4

Regards,

Mon
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
Monkey (2:2)
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The last users problem was that it appears that a "default" cactid.conf file was placed in the Cactid binary directory. If you rename that file, the problem should correct itself.

If you simply open a shell and cd to the cactid binary directory and run "./cactid 0 10", you will see and authentication error displayed.

TheWitness

monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness

The cactid.conf file was the original cacti.conf file I had previously! I contained the correct database name, username and password - as per the includes/conf.php config.

When I rename the cacti.conf file to cactid.conf.bak - i.e. I do not have a cactid.conf file - I get the following error:

Code: Select all

CACTID: MYSQL: Connection Failed: Access denied for user 'cactiuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
However, when I rename the file back to cactid.conf - I get the following error instead:

CACTID: Using cactid config file [cactid.conf]
CACTID: Version 0.8.6f starting
Segmentation fault
When you say:
If you rename that file, the problem should correct itself
Do you mean that cactid does not require this cactid.conf file now?

The contents of my cactid.conf file is (password removed):

DB_Host         localhost
DB_Database     cacti
DB_User         cactiuser
DB_Pass         *****
#LogFile         /var/log/cactid.log
As stated previously, this is the same details as my config.php file. I am able to access the Cacti web interface OK - thus, I assume those usernames and password are correct; and since they have been working previously!

Regards,

Mon
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Mon,

Can you rerun "autoconf" followed by "./configure" and then remake the package. Before that, double check that you have the most recent version's of the files. I diid post the most recent ones and I believe that you said that you updated to them.

What was you OS?

TheWitness

also, if you are receiving a stackdump file. I would like to get a copy of the file. It will be located in your cactid binary directory. The other option is to run "gdb cactid" followed by "run 0 10". Wait for it to segfault and then run the "backtrace" command and post the results.

monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness,

I am using Fedora Core 4

I installed autoconf and re-configured and re-maked the cactid executable - but same errors.

There is no stackdump file.

I installed gdb and followed the procedure your gave - here is the dump of it:

# gdb cactid
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.84rh)
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db lib                                                                                             rary "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run 0 10
Starting program: /usr/local/cactid/bin/cactid 0 10
Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...done.
Loaded system supplied DSO at 0x509000
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1208591904 (LWP 23104)]
CACTID: Using cactid config file [cactid.conf]
CACTID: Version 0.8.6g starting
[New Thread -1210692688 (LWP 23109)]
[New Thread -1221182544 (LWP 23111)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1221182544 (LWP 23111)]
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)
I hope this trace helps!

Regards,

Mon
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness

I tested the previous versions of cactid - down to 0.8.6d - which is the previous version I was using, and which is the version I am using in another (working) cacti 0.8.6g installation.

All the different versions of cactid even 0.8.6d shows a segmentation fault when testing with "./cactid 0 10"!! :(

Thus, could it be something else? Such as rrtool/php/mysql? - I am using versions:

rrdtool = 1.0.50
php = 5.0.4
mysql = 4.1.16

Is it possible to revert back to Cacti version 0.8.6g? What is the procedure for this - I already have this version in a backup directory, but is there any database implications when reverting back to this version?

Regards,

Mon
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Could be. Can you dump your database and e-mail to me. I have the day off today and may be able to run a session with you online. Also, check your glibc. Make sure you are not running the development version, it had several issues.

TheWitness

monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness,

I copied over the working cactid 0.8.6c executable from my other Cacti server and I do not get the segmentation fault.

Instead I get such errors:

CACTID: ASSERT: 'SNMP ERROR<SNMP ERROR' failed. Recaching host 'a.b.c.d', data query #1
CACTID: ASSERT: 'SNMP ERROR<SNMP ERROR' failed. Recaching host 'v.x.y.z', data query #1
CACTID: ERROR: Problem with MySQL: Duplicate entry '0-1-61:1' for key 1
CACTID: ERROR: Problem with MySQL: Duplicate entry '0-1-62:1' for key 1
I don'yt know if this is of any help. May be it is some kind of mysql problem?

Below is the mysql version from my working FC2 machine:
php-mysql-4.3.10-2.4
mysql-3.23.58-16.FC2.1
mysql-server-3.23.58-16.FC2.1
Below is the mysql version from my non-working FC2 machine:
mysql-4.1.16-1.FC4.1
mysql-server-4.1.16-1.FC4.1
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-6
mysql-devel-4.1.16-1.FC4.1
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.7.1-3
php-mysql-5.0.4-10.5

Here is the glibc versions on my non-working FC4 machine:

glibc-headers-2.3.5-10.3
glibc-2.3.5-10.3
glibc-devel-2.3.5-10.3
glibc-common-2.3.5-10.3
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.94
Here are the glibc versions on my working FC2 machine:

glibc-common-2.3.3-27.1
glibc-2.3.3-27.1
glibc-headers-2.3.3-27.1
glibc-devel-2.3.3-27.1
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.44
I'm sorry - due to our security policy, I cannot give you access to my cacti database :( - so we will have to try to troubleshoot this another way.

Regards,

Mon