End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What do you have as the start time and the interval?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

Currently I have it set for "3:30pm" (exactly like that) and every 2 hours.

Someone mentioned they got it to work by scheduling it just ahead of the time there were currently at - I've done that a couple of times since, 3:27 being the last time. ;)

The mac_track_processes table is empty, btw.
vedd99

Re: DNS reverse lookups

Post by vedd99 »

TheWitness wrote:What version of MySQL?
mysqld Ver 4.1.14-log for pc-linux-gnu on i686 (Gentoo Linux mysql-4.1.14)

I imported the newer mactrack.sql and lost all my device entries so I had to re-enter them (guess I should have backed those up!). Do I also need to run the database-upgrade.php script in addition?

I don't get the same error message after importing that newer .sql file, but I don't see any hostnames appear yet either.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What happens when you manually run "php poller_mactrack.php -d"? Also, please check <cacti>/poller.php for the "poller_mactrack.php" exec_background call.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

TheWitness wrote:What happens when you manually run "php poller_mactrack.php -d"?
/usr/share/cacti/plugins/mactrack # php5 poller_mactrack.php -d
Content-type: text/html
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.0.4

DEBUG: Detected that user changed the start time

TheWitness wrote:Also, please check <cacti>/poller.php for the "poller_mactrack.php" exec_background call.
Patterns of mac and track are not found, guess that would explain it (though I don't understand how I wouldn't have gotten it...) What do I need to add?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Cigamit will have to answer. He is away for a few hours.

TheWitness

knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

His next update might fix all of my problems! :)
vedd99

Post by vedd99 »

vedd99 wrote:
TheWitness wrote:What version of MySQL?
mysqld Ver 4.1.14-log for pc-linux-gnu on i686 (Gentoo Linux mysql-4.1.14)

I imported the newer mactrack.sql and lost all my device entries so I had to re-enter them (guess I should have backed those up!). Do I also need to run the database-upgrade.php script in addition?

I don't get the same error message after importing that newer .sql file, but I don't see any hostnames appear yet either.
There was an extra character on line 38 of the mactrack_resolver.php:
9/* establish constants */

I removed the "9" and let it run again and it started to resolve the names, however the names don't show up under Most Recent scans, only when I list the last actual scan (even if it's the most recent scan).
jorgan

HP ProCurve support

Post by jorgan »

I work on a site using mostly procurve switches and would like to help out with support for them. I know it can't be impossible as i have a set of perl scripts doing similar things.

Jorgan
Dwayne_Dibbley
Cacti User

Post by Dwayne_Dibbley »

All working fine here ( plugin version ) would it be possible to add DNS Hostname to the mactrack_view.php filtering, so we could search for the machine name ( if available ). Also when clean installing creaing the DB tables from the mactrack.sql, then running the dbupgrade generates some errors with duplicate indexes and duplicate columbs.

Nigel
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

Dwayne_Dibbley wrote:All working fine here ( plugin version ) would it be possible to add DNS Hostname to the mactrack_view.php filtering, so we could search for the machine name ( if available ). Also when clean installing creaing the DB tables from the mactrack.sql, then running the dbupgrade generates some errors with duplicate indexes and duplicate columbs.

Nigel
This is actually normal since the updated mactrack.sql already contains all the correct columns, so you don't need to run the database_upgrade.php. That is only for if you are upgrading from one of the earlier versions.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

vedd99 wrote:There was an extra character on line 38 of the mactrack_resolver.php:
9/* establish constants */

I removed the "9" and let it run again and it started to resolve the names, however the names don't show up under Most Recent scans, only when I list the last actual scan (even if it's the most recent scan).
Ya, that was my bad. I removed it in a later SVN commit. Thanks!
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

knobdy wrote:Hmm...maybe I'm not understanding - or stating - it correctly.

They only thing I currently have scheduled in cron now is Cacti's poller (poller.php).

I was under the impression that I would replace that line with mactracks (poller_mactrack.php) which would then call Cacti's or just do it all.

The "scheduling" I specifically meant in that last post was the mactrack schedule from within Cacti/Settings/Device Tracking page.

The only way I've ever gotten data collected is by running poller_mactrack.php manually with the "-f" option.

That make more sense?
That is the way it should be. For the Plugin version, you do not need to add an extra cron job, since it hooks itself into poller.php. You only need the poller.php cron job.

Can you try re-applying the plugin architecture. I'm not sure if your poller.php is correct as it seems to be missing the hooks if it isn't being called.

With the newest version of the plugin, you will need the updated snmp.php that comes with the non-plugin version of Mactrack, as it has some code changes that Mactrack will not poll properly without (or at least on my side of things it seems).
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

cigamit wrote:That is the way it should be. For the Plugin version, you do not need to add an extra cron job, since it hooks itself into poller.php. You only need the poller.php cron job.

Can you try re-applying the plugin architecture. I'm not sure if your poller.php is correct as it seems to be missing the hooks if it isn't being called.
Does this mean I only need to copy the poller.php file again or the entire thing? I've never had any luck with the diff so I've generally just copied the files over and re-edited them.
cigamit wrote:With the newest version of the plugin, you will need the updated snmp.php that comes with the non-plugin version of Mactrack, as it has some code changes that Mactrack will not poll properly without (or at least on my side of things it seems).
Does this mean you've updated the plugin with the latest changes but I'll need to get the snmp.php from svn as well?
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

knobdy wrote:
cigamit wrote:That is the way it should be. For the Plugin version, you do not need to add an extra cron job, since it hooks itself into poller.php. You only need the poller.php cron job.

Does this mean I only need to copy the poller.php file again or the entire thing? I've never had any luck with the diff so I've generally just copied the files over and re-edited them.
cigamit wrote:With the newest version of the plugin, you will need the updated snmp.php that comes with the non-plugin version of Mactrack, as it has some code changes that Mactrack will not poll properly without (or at least on my side of things it seems).
Does this mean you've updated the plugin with the latest changes but I'll need to get the snmp.php from svn as well?
Yes, you can just override it with the proper plugin architecture files. Also, you shouldn't need to override your config.php again, as that seems to be working or you wouldn't see the plugin at all.

Yes, the plugin is up-to-date, so you should be able to pull it from SVN and have everything working. (but yes, you do have to use the snmp.php from the add-on version)