Per Data Query/Per Graph Poll Timers

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ajeskey
Cacti User

Per Data Query/Per Graph Poll Timers

Post by ajeskey »

What I am looking for is the ability to assign different poll timers.

Something like when I build the Data Query Template you would be able to specify the number of minutes that must have passed before this can run again. This would be my preferred method, since you rarely would want to have the same OID polled on different machines at different intervals.

This could also be achieved on a much more granular basis, by having the ability to set the time when you are adding the graphs to the host. This would be much more cumbersome to the end user, but it does allow for flexibility.

As I think about it more and more, there really are several more areas to control this…

Now I realize that this would take some modification to both the poller.php and cactid just to have them know about this ability. Then on top of that database would have to have an additional field brought in. But I think it would be worth it. Think of the benefits of being able to poll your disks every 20 minuets, temperature every 10 minuets, fan speeds every 5 minuets, CPU and line voltage every 30 seconds.

I feel it would help on system load immensely. I just look at my system and see the number of file systems, or temperature monitors that really don’t need to be polled as frequently as they are, and what a savings that would be for me to pull even more with it.

Well that’s my idea…. Hope you like it
- Aaron Jeskey
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

FYI, this is coming in cacti 0.9.0.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
ajeskey
Cacti User

Post by ajeskey »

Very nice.

Thanks!
- Aaron Jeskey