End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

williem
Cacti User

Cisco 6513

Post by williem »

Larry,

We have a lot of Cisco 6513 and Cisco 6509 switches.

I have a primary switch that is my last hop before the WAN. I have 6509 closet switches that are L3 gig connected to the agg switch.

I have them all defined as switch/router in the devices table. It is scanning and reporting that I have mac addresses and IP addresses for each device but I get nothing on the reports.

I know that I must have something set up wrong but I am not sure where to look.

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
cigamit
Developer

Re: Cisco 6513

Post by cigamit »

williem wrote:Larry,

We have a lot of Cisco 6513 and Cisco 6509 switches.

I have a primary switch that is my last hop before the WAN. I have 6509 closet switches that are L3 gig connected to the agg switch.

I have them all defined as switch/router in the devices table. It is scanning and reporting that I have mac addresses and IP addresses for each device but I get nothing on the reports.

I know that I must have something set up wrong but I am not sure where to look.

Regards,

Willie
Just to be sure, are you selecting a Site Name on the Viewing page? Its doesn't display anything without selecting it.
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

cigamit - any thougths on my polling problem?

And as an off-topic question, do you have some info on how to use ntop WITH cacti on the same box? I know you have your CD but I don't currently have a box to use that with...
Last edited by knobdy on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williem
Cacti User

mactrack

Post by williem »

Yes,

I am selecting a site from the drop down list. The cabeltron equipment is showing up. the cisco is giving me the summary info on the console/devices menu but not any of the macs in the mactrack tab.

BTW, love the plugin architecture!!!

Regards,

Willie
Cacti 0.8.6h | Cactid 0.8.6g | 64k devices | W2k3 IIS | PHP 5.3 | RRDtool 1.0.49 | Perl 5.8.5 | Dell Servers 8 gig ram
nuinco

Post by nuinco »

Hi, went out and downloaded the .Zip file from cactiusers.org, ver 0.1b. When I over wrote the files in the "mac_track" directory the tab in Cacti disappeared as well as all menu options. If I switch back to the previous files it comes back. I need to update the files to get the HP devices.

I am on Cacti 0.8.6h and the newest .9 plugin arch and I ran the "database_upgrade.php", this returned a series of 1's.

Any idea what is happening.

Thanks
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

nuinco wrote:Hi, went out and downloaded the .Zip file from cactiusers.org, ver 0.1b. When I over wrote the files in the "mac_track" directory the tab in Cacti disappeared as well as all menu options. If I switch back to the previous files it comes back. I need to update the files to get the HP devices.
Did you change the name of the directory from mac_track to mactrack? Verify it's like that for the plugin array as well.

This was covered several pages back, with me asking the same question.
nuinco

Post by nuinco »

Sorry, I missed that one. That did it.

This thread has gotten qite large.

Thanks
nuinco

Post by nuinco »

Woo Hoo,
It works great on my HP switches so far.
vedd99

Post by vedd99 »

knobdy wrote:cigamit - any thougths on my polling problem?

And as an off-topic question, do you have some info on how to use ntop WITH cacti on the same box? I know you have your CD but I don't currently have a box to use that with...

I seem to be having the same polling problem, but it didnt seem to occur until I added devices into a separate site. Are you starting your poller job manually for the time being and if so what is the syntax?
vedd99

Post by vedd99 »

vedd99 wrote:
knobdy wrote:cigamit - any thougths on my polling problem?

I seem to be having the same polling problem, but it didnt seem to occur until I added devices into a separate site. Are you starting your poller job manually for the time being and if so what is the syntax?
Just an update -- I set the poller time under system settings AHEAD of the current time and it kicked off like normal. Instead of using 12:05 AM or something change it to 5 mins ahead of what time it is now and see if it will kick off (and continue to do so).
molbech

Post by molbech »

Hi

I was wondering - if's possible to turn the association around - so that a site is assoicate with devices- instead of devices assoicated to site.

My point is that a router could be router for more than one site. So the router has to be a member of more than one site.

Maybe i'm doing it wrong :-)

Regards

/M
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

vedd99 wrote:Just an update -- I set the poller time under system settings AHEAD of the current time and it kicked off like normal. Instead of using 12:05 AM or something change it to 5 mins ahead of what time it is now and see if it will kick off (and continue to do so).
Did it kick off again at the appropriate time (next interval)?
knobdy
Cacti User

Post by knobdy »

molbech wrote:My point is that a router could be router for more than one site. So the router has to be a member of more than one site.

Maybe i'm doing it wrong
What are you calling a site, could be that you just need to expand your definition. In my case I have a building site, an ecom site (since it's all on its own switch and MSFC) and a couple remote building sites. True, I'm not getting much back from any of them, but that doesn't appear to be a result of router additions/omissions.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I will likely be online Friday evening EST. I am not online at the moment. As fare as the max-repeater "-Ccr50". YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE STATEMENT ENTIRELY. I belive that the 4006 Agent does not process the max-repeaters portion of the inbound snmp request.

When I removed the max-repeater section entirely, I got data predictably.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
vedd99

Post by vedd99 »

knobdy wrote:
vedd99 wrote:Just an update -- I set the poller time under system settings AHEAD of the current time and it kicked off like normal. Instead of using 12:05 AM or something change it to 5 mins ahead of what time it is now and see if it will kick off (and continue to do so).
Did it kick off again at the appropriate time (next interval)?
It's been running for several hours now (on the hour) with no problem. It only seems to have problems with I change alot of the devices, or do alot of adds, deletes, etc.

Not sure what the exact cause of it could be, but setting it ahead so it "starts" at a time that is ahead (different from where it is hung up) seems to fix it for me.