[SOLVED] Help: Graphs without Labels and Legend

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

andytakacs wrote:Hmm... what if the problem is that only *sometimes* I get missing text. For example, some times a page loads the network graph will be missing all text, but then if I click the graph to load the d/w/m/y set then they will all show text, or maybe all but the monthly graph will show text.
That IS a known problem with the later versions of rrdtool 1.2. I experience it too some times.
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

I have the same problem as andytakacs, just upgraded from 'g' to 'h', and now the odd graph in a host set will show with no text, while others will show ok. The rrdtool paths and fonts are fine (same as in 'g'), yet I now get this text problem. Other than that, the upgrade went ok.

Attached pic of problem
Attachments
badgraph.JPG
badgraph.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

If all graphs are lacking text, then you haven't specified a valid font file for rrdtool. If text only sometimes does not appear, it's a known problem with rrdtool.
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

Interesting, I never experienced this problem with 0.8.6g and rrdtool (cygwin) v.1.2.10. Only when I updated to 0.8.6h. My fonts/font paths are properly defined, and I'm using the same settings from 0.8.6g.

To try and resolve the problem I have so far tried rrdtool 1.2.12 (no change) and updated PHP to v4.4.1 (from 4.3.11), and again no change. I will apply the Cacti patches today, and play around with the fonts to see if it makes a difference.

The only other change I made when moving from 0.8.6g to 0.8.6h was to incorporate the plugin arch (0.9) and the thold, monitor and reports plugins. These went in fine, and I can't see how they would affect font rendering.

You say it's a known issue with rrdtool, but only 'h' seems to be affected by it (for me at least)
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I've been seeing this lack-of-text-on-graphs-sometimes since I changed to rrdtool 1.2.11 back in August. Probably was using cacti 0.8.6f then too.
tman
Cacti User

Post by tman »

This is really annoying me now. I've tried various versions of rrdtool going back to v1.2.8 with no improvement. Infact v1.2.8 completely screwed graph rendering completely, and caused the rrdtool processes to go crazy, so I'm now on v1.2.9

I've patched my install with the latest updates, but no difference.

Interestingly, I have a seperate install of Cacti 0.8.6h on another network running rrdtool 1.2.10 with PHP 4.4.1. It also has the plugin arch installed and thold, monitor and reports. I never get missing text on graphs here (odd!), but what I do get (and I also noticed this on the other install) is that graphs with longer legend strings that used to format correctly and fit on the default sized graph in 'g', now sometimes disappear of the right hand side of the graph in 'h'. I was using the same font as in 'g', but the formatting seems to have gone weird. Is this a possible bug that has the side effect of causing the missing text problem?

I can post an image if you're interested.

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame the problem on rrdtool, when, in my case at least, I only saw this problem when upgrading to 0.8.6h.
jacauc

Post by jacauc »

I see this topic was posted 2 years ago.
I still have the same issue with Graphs having text on an occasional basis only.
Works sometimes, other times not.
:S

I run 0.8.7a on Windows with RRDTOOL 1.2.20

Is there a known solution for this yet?

Thanks
Jacauc
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Back with php 4.x, it was also an issue with php. I created this faq a while ago

Q: Why do my graphs randomly not have any text while the data is properly displayed?
A: It seems there is a bug in newer versions of PHP 4, specifically in php4ts.dll. Get php4ts.dll from PHP 4.3.11 and replace the current one in your PHP directory. *WARNING* not responsible for any adverse affects this might have on your system.

Probably a bad idea to do that with php 5...
jacauc

Post by jacauc »

should I do this even though I'm running PHP4.4.7?
Thanks!
jacauc
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Go ahead and update to the latest php 4 version (if you're adverse to 5) and see if it fixes it. If not, then you could try reverting that php4ts.dll file.
jacauc

Post by jacauc »

I think 4.4.7 is the latest version of PHP 4.
Will try a bit later today to downgrade the DLL

Thanks
jacauc

Post by jacauc »

Tried installing all kinds of different configurations of php4.x.x but to no avail.
Finally I decided to upgrade to PHP5 and most of my graphs have text now. (much more than before)

Thanks!
leoncyn

Graphs without Labels and Legend

Post by leoncyn »

Hello! Everybody I working in windows 7 and cacty sees: form "[FAMILY-LIST] [STYLE-OPTIONS] [SIZE]"
I have to put the information like: "calibri,Arial,10" or I made something wrong.