End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Here is the bottom line. If you are running a version of PHP either on Windows or one that does not support the function snmp_set_oid_numeric_print(), then, if you choose to run from the command line to DEBUG, you must set the following environment variables:

Code: Select all

MIBSDIR=/your/mib/file/directory
MIBS=rfc-1215
Failure to do so will result in the failure of the commands. This is especially true for hosts with only snmpv1 support.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Here are two updated files, well, actually the whole <cacti>/lib/mactrack directory. I have addressed one major issue in this release of those files:

1) Modified to use Cacti's built-in snmp functions with one exception for Cabletron SEHI's.

Therefore, you should be able to turn off Cacti php_snmp support now in config.php and have it properly goto the net-snmp binaries for results. This, combined with the environment variable in the last post, should help users testing.

TheWitness
Attachments
lib_mactrack.zip
(11.33 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
spignataro

Post by spignataro »

is it possible to add Cisco 7206 to the profiles or how do i go about doing that? This looks really promising.

Thanks
spignataro

Post by spignataro »

does the plugin work with other plugins?????
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

spignataro wrote:does the plugin work with other plugins?????
Ofcourse, the plugin version works without interferring with any of the other plugins out there.
spignataro

Post by spignataro »

TheWitness wrote:Here is the bottom line. If you are running a version of PHP either on Windows or one that does not support the function snmp_set_oid_numeric_print(), then, if you choose to run from the command line to DEBUG, you must set the following environment variables:

MIBSDIR=/your/mib/file/directory
MIBS=rfc-1215
Failure to do so will result in the failure of the commands. This is especially true for hosts with only snmpv1 support.

TheWitness
I am using the pluggin and it is not working....I have several plugins working just fine. Where to i put the above. In which file?

Thanks
spignataro

Post by spignataro »

cigamit wrote:
spignataro wrote:does the plugin work with other plugins?????
Ofcourse, the plugin version works without interferring with any of the other plugins out there.
i try to run the command line and it doesnt run.....how do i get it to start pulling information.

I have 7200 Routers - 15 of them - that i want to do this to.

Thanks...i guess is there any documentation on this?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

spignataro,

The 7200's are only 1 leg of the stool. You also need the switches to map port's tool To get the 7200's to work, you simply need to classfy them as "Routers". The bigger question is what switches do you have to add?

TheWitness

spignataro

Post by spignataro »

so i guess I am thinking this is a little easier then i thought....so exactly how do it set one of these up to start polling ips/mac addresses....which seem to be like a human readable ARP table.

I guess im putting the cart before the horse on my thoughts and logic of this....but what i did...is i created a 7200 device type and then added the device with the ip address. Now from what I gather next is it should start polling ip address and mac addresses off the router from the arp tables. No? which im guessing is not true....so exactly what am i doing wrong?

Also a few bugs for the author of the plugin. When you go and delete a device type you cant. Also the image is missing. Might want to fix this.

Also another bug would be that you cant update the device or device type with out it popping up an error.

Thanks guys for such fantastic work.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Well, the product is for testing now. I wish I had more time to work on it. This maybe a Christmas Holiday job.

You do not need a device type for a Router. The router provides the IP to MAC relationship. That information is combined from the Bridge Tables on the Switches. That information then gives the following story:

An IP address of a host having a MAC address was on this port of this swiche at this time of day at this site.

TheWitness

jwhiteaker

Post by jwhiteaker »

I hope this isn't too much to ask... :D

I'd LOVE to see if I could get IP/MAC/ARP tracking to work. I've tried to use NMIS, Nedi, and other tools, however, my Cisco IP phones give those tools fits (the phones create a special dot1Q trunk). Almost all of my users connect their workstations via the phone's switch port.

Could the latest files be posted along with a quick synopsis of the installation steps? I'm not a programmer, but, a basic overview should be sufficient enough for me to figure out the details.

I would really like to see if I could use this tool in my VoIP environment. Thanks for your input and assistance!

-Jason
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I need a snmpwalk dump of the switch using two methods. From a Windows workstation with net-snmp installed:

set mibs=all
snmpwalk -c <your_community> -v 2c -O enQ <your_cisco_host> > my_cisco_numeric_oid.txt
snmpwalk -c <your_community> -v 2c -O Q <your_cisco_host> > my_cisco_non_numeric_oid.txt
Review the file and make sure they include the Cisco Enterprises MIB. I can't make any promises on timing. I do my development in my spare time and thusfar, I have had no $$ help with development. And as most people appreciate, it is holiday season, so there's lot's to do.

TheWitness

jarhead
Cacti User

Post by jarhead »

Larry,
I added the 2 environment variables into the file using the putenv command and I still get no response when running this from the command line. Is there another way for me to put the environment variables in?

Thanks
mpdsville1
Cacti User

Mac Track Device Status Unkown ?

Post by mpdsville1 »

Defined two devices that are running and polling fine under graphing
facilities in mac track. Used the Cigamit hand rolled plugin.

They are showing status unknown under console -> track -> devices tab.
command line output :
12/07/2005 02:46:29 PM - SYSTEM MACTRACK COLLECTION STATS: Time:2.2186 ConcurrentProcesses:8 Devices:2

Cacti log shows
POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a Remote Process [CMD: /usr/local/bin/php, ARGS: -q /usr/local/cacti-0.8.6g/plugins/mac_track/poller_mactrack.php]

What have I missed or what should I check ..
Mike Donnelly , Albany , NY
| Cacti 0.8.7g | Spine 0.8.7g | MySQL 5.0.77 | Net-SNMP 5.3.2.2 | Apache 2.2.3 | PHP 5.3.3 | RRDtool 1.2.27 | Rhel6 | Dual Xeon E5410@2.33ghz | Sunfire x4150
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

TheWitness wrote:Torsten,

1:Therefore, "All" would be a rather large number of IP Addresses. So, to cut it down (or at least the initial view), all mean's None. Maybe, I just make it none. You see the issue?

2: This other issue you are having is a device speicific issue. Are you using SNMPv1? Just a note, each Cisco device can be sensitive. For example, all Cisco IOS devices may not operate 100% with the IOS scanning function and may require say the "Generic" scanning function. With "-2" vlan's, I would be suspect.
1: rename ist to none and everyone knows it . displaying all 23k entries is not good .

2: I am using snmp v2 because it I use v1 I get no MAC data back: In debug outout with V1 there is no "DEBUG: SQL: INSERT INTO mac_track_temp_port" line; with V2 i get this line an he process time is shorter.

I will try the change the mactrack_scanner.php for using the generic version. But I need more infos about the call of get_generic_switch_ports () concerning the high an low ports.

Torsten