more than 118922 Items

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

punktde

more than 118922 Items

Post by punktde »

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor a BBRAS (Juniper ERX) with more than 118922 Items. It already took some PHP tuning to gather the items, but trying to create an graph is some what impossible! The query (MySQL) takes too long!

Is it somehow possible to write the gathered informations directly into the DB and than parse the HTML "on the fly" so that at least somethings happening?

Do I have any chance to delete unneeded items? -> HOW!?

Regards
Maik
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Um, wow.......

Hummmm, I have to think about this one....

Sorry I don't have an answer right now.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
eshine

Post by eshine »

Maik,

I work in a broadband access provider and I didn't understand well why you should graph for each connection.

Have you tried walk in a limited leaf set with a xml script?
rgds,
Edgar Shine
punktde

Post by punktde »

eshine wrote:Maik,

I work in a broadband access provider and I didn't understand well why you should graph for each connection.

Have you tried walk in a limited leaf set with a xml script?
Hi,

well...if I knew HOW I would probably do that. Problem is: the interfaces I need are listed at the end...

Do you have any expieriences with ATM (SONET) interfaces?

CU
Maik
nugai

Post by nugai »

Problem is: the interfaces I need are listed at the end...
Can you post an example of what you're doing and what you're looking for?
Do you have any expieriences with ATM (SONET) interfaces?
I'm new to cacti. I want to use it for monitoring specific ATM PVCs on Alcatel/Xylan equipment.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Cacti 0.8.6h (current SVN version) has a new feature of being able to perform a BULKWALK to obtain interface information. I have worked with a few users with over 10k interfaces and the new test version works as we had expected.

Over a WAN, it still takes a few minutes to build the interface list, and with some of the limitations associated with Java Script in the current product, the fancy yellow highlighting and faded grey interface descriptions are not available (we need to find a workaround for that too), but you can display the interfaces and create graphs.

We have not yet set a date for release. For now you need to update the following two files from SVN (BRANCH_0_8_6)

include/config_settings.php
lib/snmp.php

Then, you need to goto Settings->Paths and add the SNMPBULKWALK path to your saved settings.

One other last note, your device must be either SNMPv2 or SNMPv3 in order to use the BULK command.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
eshine

Post by eshine »

Is there a way to limit these bulks? For example, limit just for interface above ifIndex = 120000 ou interface between ifIndex 120000 - 125000.

This will be useful to save time avoiding some undesirable walks (for dynamic subscribers for example).
rgds,
Edgar Shine
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Post by bulek »

No... you just ask for a whole table and you get it all in one UDP stream without asking for element by element as it is done in snmpwalk.

- Piotr
sini
Cacti User

Post by sini »

Hi,

I also try to monitor Juniper ERX bras with any success...
Snmp walk takes too long and at the end returns with no result...
I tried to add manually a data source because I know the ifAlias | ifDesc values of the interface what I want to monitor for example just the uplink interface. This solution worked on devices I successfully or almost successfully queried with cacti but with some of my juniper bras the snmp data query returned nothing (browser timeout) so manual data source add wasn't possible.
In this devices there are more than 10k ifIndex.

As I search the forum for solution I found this post:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=8426

How about this to kind of approach of the problem?
Could it be a solution or I am on a wrong way?
Sini