NT / W2K Sessions

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

DavidM

NT / W2K Sessions

Post by DavidM »

Anyone know how to monitor NT/W2K sessions from Linux? I.E., how many connections are established on server. NBTSTAT -s (if run on W2K).
Burke

Established Sessions

Post by Burke »

Here's what you need:

enterprises.lanmanager.lanmgr-2.server.svSessionNumber.0
or

This gives you the number of sessions as reported by lanmanager.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Thanks! As of Friday, as was walking to .1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.20.1.1 and counting the number of entries within the string array as using the number returned.

Your OID would save me a bit of time.

Would you happen to know how to report "time idle" from a connection to a Cacti graph?
Burke

Post by Burke »

This can get a little complicated because the idle time of a connection isn't a static OID. For example:
enterprises.lanmanager.lanmgr-2.server.svSessionTable.svSessionEntry.svSesIdleTime."MACHINENAME"."USERNAME" = Counter32: 96

You would need to do a SNMPWALK to enterprises.lanmanager.lanmgr-2.server.svSessionTable.svSessionEntry.svSesIdleTime OR (.1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.20.1.6)

This would return each of your current connections Idle time.

HINT: When doing your SNMPWALK for discovery purposes/testing, use "SNMPWALK -m all servername communityname OID | more" .
This will use all your MIB files in /usr/share/snmp/mibs. If you see more OID numbers than text, you probably need to obtain some more MIB text files so that SNMP can translate the OID into something halfway understandable as shown above. For the stuff you're working with in this question, the file you need is "LMMIB2.MIB".

I currently have over 250 Data Sources that are being monitored here on my client's network: Several Netware servers, several Windows NT and 2000, Cisco Routers, and a pair of Linux Mandrake servers. Doing walks, writing custom scripts, and using SNMPBOY's perfmib on the Windows machines has really provided a nice set of graphs for our client.

DavidM wrote:Thanks! As of Friday, as was walking to .1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.20.1.1 and counting the number of entries within the string array as using the number returned.

Your OID would save me a bit of time.

Would you happen to know how to report "time idle" from a connection to a Cacti graph?