Status unknown and log file not updated.

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

luiswiedemann

Status unknown and log file not updated.

Post by luiswiedemann »

Hello All!

I am having the toughest time getting this work properly! I am using SLES 9.0 with an upgraded rrdtool to 1.0.48, PHP 5, MySQL 4.1, Apache 2.0.54. Everything I have installed is working fine with exception to Cacti. Every device retains a status of "Unknown" and the log hasn't been updated since it was first installed. It has one line in it that reads...

10/27/2005 01:27:58 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: Cannot connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'. Please make sure you have specified a valid MySQL database name in 'include/config.php'.

but I did make sure the info was correct not to mention Cacti wouldn't allow me to login if it were wrong in the first place.

I tried using both cactid and poller.php with no luck with either. I adjusted the crontab to match what it says in the install doc. Im at a loss!

TIA.

Luis
gandalf
Developer

Re: Status unknown and log file not updated.

Post by gandalf »

luiswiedemann wrote:10/27/2005 01:27:58 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: Cannot connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'. Please make sure you have specified a valid MySQL database name in 'include/config.php'.
Did you have a look at the config file at <path_cacti>/include/config.php as stated by the error message above? The installation steps describe that it is necessary to configure some parms in there (name of cacti db, name of cacti user, cacti user pw for mysql).
Reinhard
luiswiedemann

Post by luiswiedemann »

Yeah, those settings have been confirmed. If they were wrong cacti wouldnt allow me to log in!

thanks for the reply!

luis
luiswiedemann

Post by luiswiedemann »

a bump up maybe?
apharas

Post by apharas »

Make sure you can connect from the shell to the mysql database.

From shell enter: mysql -u cactiuser -p

Enter the cacti password.

At the mysql prompt enter: use cactidb;

If any of that fails, either you have an incorrect username/password or you have not setup the user to access from localhost. Check to make sure there is an entry in your user.mysql table that has your cactiuser with a host of localhost.

--
Alex
luiswiedemann

Post by luiswiedemann »

Thanks for the quick reply. Tried all of that and nothing still. I think its the version of RRDTOOL in SlES 9. it 1.0.46, and I cant seem to succesfully upgrade it. :/

This is getting frustrating!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

luis.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

luiswiedemann wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Tried all of that and nothing still. I think its the version of RRDTOOL in SlES 9. it 1.0.46, and I cant seem to succesfully upgrade it. :/

This is getting frustrating!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

luis.
RRDTOOL is not used until you are getting data from a host and try to store them. But your problem still seems to be the connect to MySQL (see post above).
Reinhard