cacti does nor read interface list

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dragec

cacti does nor read interface list

Post by dragec »

on win xp i have cacti, latest, php .... standard instalation that works. I've managed to define som routers and everything is ok. But when I want to add one router with lots of interfaces, during phase of defining host, when cacti reads interface list, I have an empty screen and cacti is working and working and working .... and after some time if I connect to cacti I can see that it readed number of interfaces but list is broken, I do no see interfaces names or addresses or state. Did anyone have such an issue?

Thanks
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Probably has something to do with PHP timing out or running out of memory. Try increasing both in your php.ini.
dragec

Post by dragec »

How can I debug this part of proccess, I mean reading of interfaces. Verbose query also does not produce any output to screen.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Does the interface query work on any other machine just fine or is broken for everything?
dragec

Post by dragec »

It is working ok for routers on LAN, and for routers accros WAN link with not so many interfaces, but with several routers with lots of interfaces and 4M link between him and cacti I have problem. Same thing is when I tried cacti on my pc. So there is a possibility that wan link causes this but I'd like to debug it
Luis

Post by Luis »

dragec wrote:It is working ok for routers on LAN, and for routers accros WAN link with not so many interfaces, but with several routers with lots of interfaces and 4M link between him and cacti I have problem. Same thing is when I tried cacti on my pc. So there is a possibility that wan link causes this but I'd like to debug it
I am having the same issue... By any chance, are you using a VPN as part of your WAN?

..I'm wondering if it's a MTU issue with my VPN based WAN..
dragec

Post by dragec »

Luis wrote: I am having the same issue... By any chance, are you using a VPN as part of your WAN?

no I do not but am using qos classes. Will tr tommorow with php.ini modifications
Luis

Post by Luis »

dragec wrote:
Luis wrote: I am having the same issue... By any chance, are you using a VPN as part of your WAN?

no I do not but am using qos classes. Will tr tommorow with php.ini modifications

Did your changes help any? If so, can you elaborate on EXACTLY what you changed in your PHP.INI file...

Thanks!

Luis..
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Please walk the ifInterfaces MIB on the device in question. It is not unheard of to have agents that do not report the ifInterfaces in SNMP correctly. I have seen it on HP/UX as well as a few wireless devices. Post the output of that walk.

In addition, post the results of the "Verbose Query" in Cacti.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Luis

Post by Luis »

TheWitness wrote:Please walk the ifInterfaces MIB on the device in question. It is not unheard of to have agents that do not report the ifInterfaces in SNMP correctly. I have seen it on HP/UX as well as a few wireless devices. Post the output of that walk.

In addition, post the results of the "Verbose Query" in Cacti.

TheWitness
When I try to do a Verbose Query, it never returns, and remains at a blank screen... I've let it sit for over 30 minutes.

The device is a Catalyst 6500 switch, which I know responds correctly, as we have one that is not across a WAN site, and it responds perfectly. FYI, both of the CAT's have a large number of interfaces (>200 ports).

If you have any suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing them, as this is the one item that is still causing others to want to move away from Cacti... :-(

Thank You for your help, and Cacti is an awesome product!

Luis...
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Luis,

We have all but the 6503 in production on our network in both IOS and CatOS varieties and do not have the same issues. However, where are your devices located from a latency perspective (aka MS latency)? Our largest latency is 150-300 ms for devices in Europe. Please let me know.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
sirprotos

Post by sirprotos »

dude !!! i've got this before ! u can try to increase ur resource limit of PHP.ini... refer to this

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 1200 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 1200 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

hopes this help !