End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

End Device Tracking Add-On for Cacti

Post by TheWitness »

Hello all. I have been working on the following add-on for Cacti 0.8.6g and I would like to know what you all think. Please review the graphs and post.

It is currently running on my production Cacti poller server (and can run elsewhere too) and scans the entire environment (over 1500) access switches, distribution switches, routers and hubs in less than 1 hour.

It currently works against:
1) Any 802.1d SNMP Device Supporting the 802.1d MIB
2) Cisco IOS
3) Cisco Catalyst
4) Cabletron Securefast
5) Cabletron SEHI
6) Any SNMP Enabled Router

Thanks,

TheWitness :o
Attachments
MacTrackView.jpg
MacTrackView.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 71616 times
MacTrackSites.jpg
MacTrackSites.jpg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 71616 times
MacTrackSettings.jpg
MacTrackSettings.jpg (175.29 KiB) Viewed 71616 times
MacTrackDevices.jpg
MacTrackDevices.jpg (166.36 KiB) Viewed 71616 times
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Pumpi
Cacti User

Post by Pumpi »

:D

What a cool and helpful addon TheWitness !!

Perhaps you can add dedicated support HP Procurve Switch devices ?

Thanks again !
zuessi

Post by zuessi »

Looks very interesting.

I am running a perl-script collecting this information, but it just creates isolated text-files. The integraton into cacti is a brilliant idea.

Zuessi
zuessi

Post by zuessi »

Looks very interesting.

I am running a perl-script collecting this information, but it just creates isolated text-files. The integraton into cacti is a brilliant idea.

Zuessi
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Pumpi,

My todo list to complete the package is 12 items long. Once I chip away at the block a little more, I would be glad to support your procurve stuff.

If I could ask a favor though, could you please send me the sysDescr and sysObject OID's of all your devices in addition, walk the entire OID structure of your switch and shoot me those two files. You can be a pilot tester if you'd like.

It would also be beneficial if you could present a switch to the internet for me to poll with a device or two active.

Larry
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Looks great! Where's the download link? :D
gondo

Post by gondo »

Oh my....

My oh my oh my....

lions and tigers and bears....

sniff sniff....

wow....

consolidated dashboards coming to a cacti install close to you....

Now in seroiusness, I have been a user of Cacti for a year.
The strides that have been made to get the code base under control, create the plug-in api, etc. have finally convinced me to offer services for Beta testing 0.9. I would not have committed if I had not seen the awesome job yin's guys have made. (yes, originally from Pittsburgh, PA.)

CACTI ROCKS SOCKS!

:wink:
gaurav

Post by gaurav »

This looks excellent!! When will this be available for download?

Thanks,
- Gaurav
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Guys, let him finish it already... :)
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
gaurav

Post by gaurav »

rony wrote:Guys, let him finish it already... :)
Keeping the pressure on :lol:
Thanks,
- Gaurav
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, looks great, indeed.
I'm looking forward to those cool filtering option shown in the screenshots. But what about the data sampling method? Is it SNMPing around the world? Is ith arpwatch like (but what about routing domains). Will it be possible, to specify IP Ranges/Nets to supress scanning clients?
Sorry for all theses "requirements", but I think the approach will speed up the cacti community!
Reinhard
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Here is the theory of operation.

The success to end device tracking relies on "Sites". These are groupings of switches and intellegent hubs that are served by one or more routers.

The concept is quite simple. Scan all Layer2/Layer1 devices dot1d (and other OID's depending on vendor) for MAC to PortNumber relationships. Avoid all non-user, trunk, and link ports by being smart. Then, for that same sites router(s), grab the ARP table(s). Combine the two and you are done. It works like a charm.

Note: THERE IS NO END DEVICE SCANNING THAT TAKES PLACE AS A PART OF THIS PRODUCT. A nice feature would be to have each sites routers force a "Hello" packet prior to the scan to get all end devices to refresh their respective switches bridge tables.

However, a good practice is to have your routers ARP timeout closely align with the corresponding bridge timers anyway. So, as long as you have a well managed router/switch configuration policy, this should not be required.

As I stated, I am currently running an early Alpha at my location. I am scanning over 1500 switches and routers in less than an hour and returning well over 20k IP addresses and 20k MAC addresses.

As of right now, the user interface is 100% complete with the exception of the "Device Types", which I planned to work on this weekend. Then, I have to work on an install script, documentation, and specifics around the calling of the scanner from the poller along the way.

I don't want to release it too early and then have to appologize later.

TheWitness

Tramjoe

Post by Tramjoe »

TheWitness,

I like it a lot !

However, I can't help but asking :
- is this supposed to be able to feed a L2 topology map description (like, say, a nice XML format we could parse and then fedd to whatever map-generator we have)
- Once the IPs and MAC addresses are known, is there a way to consolidate thoses belonging to a single physical host manually / automatically using SNMP
- Have you considered using nmap + SNMP on IPs and some rulebase linking results to host templates ? This yould be awesome to automatically have new hosts poping up added to cacti main devices list !
- Generally speaking, what kind of linking/consolidation do you intend to have between the plugin discovered network interfaces and cacti main devices list ?

Anyway, nonwhistanting your answers to previous questions, I volunteer to test it (even in early stage) and help debuging it / extending it with my network router/switches (dell, cisco, 3com).

The screenshots really look promising, but I nedd to see this in action ! (helping to keep the pressure on ;-p)
mgb
Cacti User

Post by mgb »

This looks great. Will this be made like a plugin or a patch to the current working version of cacti?

Michael
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I have discussed this with the other developers and we are going to make it a plugin (although and extensive one) for right now. We'll see how it goes.

TheWitness