Bizarre Time out issue, new install, please help. Thx

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

FPL_NMS

Bizarre Time out issue, new install, please help. Thx

Post by FPL_NMS »

Cacti page does not appear, and times out trying.

cacti-0.8.6f
mysql-essential-4.1.13-win32
net-snmp-5.2.1-1.win32
php-5.0.4-win32
IIS 6
Server 2003

1.) PHP installed
2.) Path added for c:\php and c:\php\ext
3.) Environment variables added MIBDIRS=c:\php\extras\mibs and PHPRC=c:\php
4.)PHP.ini has been modified with proper paths for the dll files. the ";" was removed from infront of the extension

IIS
1.) Added PHP web service extension for php5isapi.dll (not in directions) found at PHP site
2.) Added .php for php5isapi.dll
3.) Added PHP ISAPI filter for php5isapi.dll

RRDTool installed and moved RRDTool.exe to c:\rrdtool

MySql
1.) Created cacti db
2.) Imported cacti.sql db and verified tables
3.) Granted access to db for root@localhost

Cacti
1.) Installed and modified under c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti
2.) Modified config.php with following info
db_default="cacti"
db_hostname="localhost"
db_username="root"
db_password="test"

I had PHP working and was able to use a test script to verify the server
<?php phpinfo(); ?> this displayed all info for PHP.

I checked the cacti.log and it has no entries

I verified permissions for IUSR_(servername)

When I tried to get to the test.php page again the web site just hangs until timeout and cannot find page. Same holds true for cacti

I also added the index.php under the home directory along with enabling scripts to be read and executed.

PHP-m shows the mysql module being loaded, and has no problems finding the SNMP files as so many people have had (note the MIBS are located under PHP\EXTRAS\MIBS not PHP\MIBS as many have tried)

I have read numerous pages of help request and have tried my best to use PHP resources MySql resources and of course read the Message board almost thoroughly.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You are the second person today with this problem. Did you grant execute access to cmd.exe for your web server account? I am hoping this is just a documentation issue and not another attempt by Microsoft to drive users to Linux.

Personally, I use Apache for just this reason.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
rickmccl

Post by rickmccl »

Check that you don't have any 'application popup' windows on the console or in the event log with php errors.

I was unable to use 'localhost' for mysql. I had to grant mysql permissions to 'cacti@netops.my.fqdn.com' and list 'netops.my.fqdn.com' as the database server. I know I saw an error message about it somewhere, but I'm drawing a blank on where to tell you to look.. :-?
FPL_NMS

Post by FPL_NMS »

I did check the cmd.exe located in c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and the user for web access has been granted read/execute permissions. I did also check the event viewer for any errors of pop-ups and found nothing.
ichoudhury

Post by ichoudhury »

Did you install W2k3 Service Pack? Remember, SP for w2k3 suppose to make it closer to W2k3 R2 which is (they claims) to be very secure oriented.

btw, make sure in IIS, you do not have PHP execution prohibitated :o
There are those who think fast, and there are others who sleep on a decision. I belong to the third group.
FPL_NMS

Post by FPL_NMS »

Slap me in the head, but I did forget to re-enable the PHP extension in IIS. The PHP test page works fine again, however I am still getting the Fatal Error Call to undefined function mysql_connect() etc. etc. etc. I will recheck all files that need to be config'd.

Another question, I have the Task running as described, and it is not writing anything to the log cacti.log. or the rra.log files.

Lastly, I have seen several replys from one of the more experienced PHP super heros to enable a debug feature. I would like to know exactly where this is to be enabled and where the output would reside. Is this a PHP feature in itself or something just for the CACTI functionality?

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Aaron
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

The debug is inside cacti. Turn the polling level in cacti to debug (Settings | Polling level) for one cycle and paste the output of the log file (./cacti/cacti.log). If it contains WEBLOG entries, then don't bother posting since they just clutter up the log. Turn off WEBEVENTS logging and try again.

Per the mysql problem, you most likely need to enable old client support (even though I thought php 5.x didnt have the need).
FPL_NMS

Post by FPL_NMS »

I managed to get Cacti up and running, minus a new issue with generating Graphs on demand which is to be saved for another string, it was mostly due to a lot of permission settings through out the server. Basically for IUSR_(server_name) you should enable Permissions on the following directory's.
1.) Cacti
2.) RRDTOOL
3.) PHP
4.) NET_SNMP
5.) MySql
the cmd.exe file in c:\%sytemroot%\system32\cmd.exe.

right click on each directory, select properties, select security, select "IUSR_<name>". select the advanced button.
New window appears, select IUSR_<name>, check All inheiritable permissions, click the edit button.
New window appears, make sure that you have
Traverse Folder/ Execute
List Folder / Read Data
Read Attributes
Read Extended Attributes
Creat Files / Write Data
Create Folders / Append Data
Write Attributes
Write Attributes Extended
Read Permissions

all enabled, and to find what that person has to total Effective permissions, close the window above, select the tab "Effective Permissions" Click the "Select Button" either enter the user name in the window or select the "Advanced" button, click on "locations" button find the correct domain/machine name, click OK, then search the name in the window below, Select name and click OK.
You should see a list of Effective Permissions for that user. Make sure you do this for every file/folder you need access to and make sure that that user us has the same permissions across all folders.

This has worked for me,

MY 1/2 cents worth
FPL_NMS

RRD's not created, no graphs display, device status is unk

Post by FPL_NMS »

Steps to create a new device and still not having success displaying graphs and Cacti is not creating RRD's.
Step 1. Click "Devices", Click "Add"
Attachments
Step 1.) Adding new device
Step 1.) Adding new device
Device(1).PNG (63.59 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Step 2) After new device added, notice IE Status bar
Step 2) After new device added, notice IE Status bar
Device Added.PNG (42.88 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Step 3) This is returned when using the Back Button ON IE
Step 3) This is returned when using the Back Button ON IE
Device Added(2).PNG (61.88 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
FPL_NMS

(Cont..)

Post by FPL_NMS »

Steps continued
Attachments
Step 4.)Status is Unk
Step 4.)Status is Unk
Device Status, Unk.PNG (66.28 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Step 5.) Interesting that the Graph Template is not showing the Graph template that I Have associated with the Host Template &amp;quot;BS450&amp;quot; shown in one of the next screen shots, notice Data querys 291 Items and 97 Row.
Step 5.) Interesting that the Graph Template is not showing the Graph template that I Have associated with the Host Template &quot;BS450&quot; shown in one of the next screen shots, notice Data querys 291 Items and 97 Row.
DeviceInfo(1).PNG (86.33 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Another interesting thing is that this page does not show the graph template for Interface Traffic (bits/sec) or half the other graph templates that show in the graph template repository.
Another interesting thing is that this page does not show the graph template for Interface Traffic (bits/sec) or half the other graph templates that show in the graph template repository.
Graphing.PNG (73.62 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Edit your PHP.INI file. What's your "max_execution_time" set to. Set it to about 300. Save and then restart your browser.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
FPL_NMS

(cont...)

Post by FPL_NMS »

Here is what the poller cache shows being created so far.
Data Source: Localhost - Processes
RRD: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra\localhost_proc_7.rrd
Action: 1, Script: perl c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/scripts/unix_processes.pl
Data Source: Localhost - Memory - Free
RRD: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra\localhost_mem_buffers_3.rrd
Action: 1, Script: perl c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/scripts/linux_memory.pl MemFree:
Data Source: Localhost - Memory - Free Swap
RRD: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra\localhost_mem_swap_4.rrd
Action: 1, Script: perl c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/scripts/linux_memory.pl SwapFree:
Data Source: Localhost - Load Average
RRD: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra\localhost_load_1min_5.rrd
Action: 1, Script: perl c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/scripts/loadavg_multi.pl
Data Source: Localhost - Logged in Users
RRD: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra\localhost_users_6.rrd
Action: 1, Script: perl c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/scripts/unix_users.pl

Here is the Cacti Log File
08/28/2005 01:27:04 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time: 4.1375 s, Method: cmd.php, Processes: 1, Threads: N/A, Hosts: 3, Hosts/Process: 3, Data Sources 5, RRDs Processed 0
08/28/2005 01:27:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 2.6509 s, Theads: N/A, Hosts: 2
08/28/2005 01:27:03 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] DEBUG: PHP Script Server Shutdown request received, exiting
08/28/2005 01:27:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] SNMP: Host did not respond to SNMP
08/28/2005 01:27:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] PING: Host is alive
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] PHP Script Server Started Properly
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] PHP Script Server has Started - Parent is cmd
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] DEBUG: FILENM: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\script_server.php
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] DEBUG: DIRNAM: c:/inetpub/wwwroot/cacti
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] DEBUG: GETCWD: c:/inetpub/wwwroot/cacti
08/28/2005 01:27:01 AM - PHPSVR: Poller[0] DEBUG: SERVER: cmd
08/28/2005 01:27:00 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a Remote Process [CMD: c:\php\php-win.exe, ARGS: -q c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/cmd.php 0 4]

Just seems like everytime I Add a new device, define the parameters, that the poller cache is not updated, and the RRDTool never created the RRD file. I have tried to create the RRD's using the syntax provided by Cacti in the Debug information, but Cacti will not post anything that is not in the Poller Cache. I have deleted the Cacti DB from MySql, rebuilt the install of Cacti, defined all paths to necessary files. Logged back in, and found that Cacti had created the Localhost Device automatically, even though the server is not responding to SNMP for admin reasons all of its' RRD file were logged in the Poller Cache, however they were not created in the RRA directory. I was able to create them by using the Syntax once again and now Cacti will display the Graphs.

Seeing how Cacti Uses MySql, is it possible to update the Cache files manually? or are there just to many steps to take?
FPL_NMS

php.ini changes

Post by FPL_NMS »

I changed the max_execution_time value from default of 30 to 180, closed IE and tried again with same results, Blank screen with a status of Done.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You need to restart either Apache or IIS (IE has not impact). I just figured it out. You are sending stderr to your log file and PHP is timing out. Therefore, you get no error message and you get a blank screen. This needs to go in a FAQ somewhere.

TheWitness

FPL_NMS

Post by FPL_NMS »

What about the devices that show a status of unknown? The are seen by cacti according to the snmp log and according to the graphs window.

ad (161.154.122.11)
SNMP Information
System: BayStack 450-24T HW:RevL FW:V1.48 SW:v4.2.0.16 ISVN:2
Uptime: 3109886404
Hostname: CSENE21

what could be the possible reason that RRD's are not being created when using the data query template for interface stats or almost every templete except for the SNMP OID. Cacti shows this info below, but creating them by copying and pasting to a cmd window only creates a file it doesn't populate the database.

c:\rrdtool\bin\rrdtool.exe create \
c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti/rra/ad_errors_in_14.rrd \
--step 300 \
DS:errors_out:COUNTER:600:0:10000000 \
DS:discards_out:COUNTER:600:0:10000000 \
DS:discards_in:COUNTER:600:0:10000000 \
DS:errors_in:COUNTER:600:0:10000000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \

I look at the Poller Cache and see that nothing has been entered. I run php-win c:\<path>\poller.php and get an error that I have nothing in my poller cache to poll from. This would indicate to me that the database is not getting updates, but it is also telling me that RRDTool is either crashing?!? or not getting the request to create RRDs. I am not sure how to trace the calls/requests from Cacti to each application. I have viewed the IIS web server logs, they seem fine, I have viewed the Sql logs and them seem fine. I have gone as far as re-creating the Database well after trying to truncate the poller_output table. Not really sure where to go from here except delete everything and start over.