Advanced Ping Template for Cacti 0.8.6f

Addons for Cacti and discussion about those addons

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Hey wvr120364,

Please send me the data source debug information for this errant RRD file.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

I uploaded and updated ss_fping.php today to report the 100% packet loss situation.

TheWitness :D
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
rualark

Post by rualark »

Why not use a separate thread for each ping process in ss_fping.php so that the total time of the script run will be not more than a single timeout?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Unfortunately, php is not multi-threaded. I could make it faster, but it would be pretty complex and would likely be problematic. Or I could write a multi-threaded ss_fping.exe. I'm not inspired at the moment. It is still much faster than the current fping binary.

TheWitness

rpingar
Cacti User

Post by rpingar »

I installed a new machine with cacti 0.86f fresh new, php (isapi) 4.4.0, iis6

And now I am not able to have advanced ping working.
This is the error I got when I run manually in a script server.

Anyone can help please?
Thanks

c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\scripts\ss_fping.php ss_fping www.news.com.au 20'
Content-type: text/html
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.0

<br />
<b>Fatal error</b>: Cannot redeclare db_connect_real() (previously declared in
c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\lib\database.php:36) in <b>c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\lib
\database.php</b> on line <b>36</b><br />
predou

Post by predou »

I WAS THE FIRST AUTHOR OF A SMOKE PING LIKE SCRIPT FOR CACTI

THE PROOVE :
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=7090&highlight=

I love that you integrate in Cacti smoke ping script BUT why do you would like to thanx DROSE 12 and not me ????

I created the first script and it work fine.

Please, don't forget me :'(
Vaayl

Post by Vaayl »

I just installed the ss_fping.php script and getting an output of U in the log file when trying to ping www.google.com, but the localhost works fine.

Code: Select all

08/19/2005 11:50:03 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[2] DS[26] SERVER: C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/scripts/ss_fping.php ss_fping www.google.com 20, output: U
08/19/2005 11:50:05 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[25] SERVER: C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/scripts/ss_fping.php ss_fping 127.0.0.1 20, output: min:0.0800 avg:0.0850 max:0.1200 dev:0.0200 loss:0.0000

However when I run it from the command line through the script server it works fine.

Code: Select all

C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti>php c:\apache2\htdocs\cacti\script_server.php
PHP Script Server has Started - Parent is cmd
C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/scripts/ss_fping.php ss_fping www.google.com 20
#!/usr/bin/php -q
min:41.8400 avg:43.3060 max:61.0500 dev:9.6050 loss:0.0000
quit
PHP Script Server Shutdown request received, exiting
I am running on a new install of everything on Windows 2000.

Cacti 0.8.6f
Cactid0.8.6e
PHP 5.0.4
Apache 2.0.54
Mysql 4.1.13a
Rrdtool 1.2.11
BrettS

Smokeping ss script issues

Post by BrettS »

Sorry to belabour this thread but I am experiencing issues with the smokeping script.
The install is a fresh 0.8.6f new db and no hosts configured.
I ve copied the script and loaded the template suggested fby Witness on Aug 02 2005 which indicated an Update to the script.

When this script runs I see the following output in the logs
CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[9] WARNING: Result from SERVER not valid. Partial Result: #!/usr/bin/php -q

and am at a loss as to what is causing this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Brett Stevens
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You need to apply the lib/ping.php patch: http://www.cacti.net/downloads/patches/ ... re-patched

TheWitness

BrettS

Post by BrettS »

Thanks, that seems to be working. Just a quick question. Does that mean I should be applying all the patches in the pre-patched diredctory. My misinterpretation meant that I thought it was a patch set to bring a earlier version upto 0.8.6f. If this is not the case and they should all be applied, please accept my apologies and Ill shut up now... ;-)

thanks

Brett Stevens
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You bet. 1 bug in particular is a nasty one.

TheWitness

apeterson

RRDs created but unable to display

Post by apeterson »

I've been through the installation process for advanced ping 3 times now since clearing up the versioning problem when importing the graph template and the results are always the same:

Everything appears to go very smoothly including the creation of the RRDs (named *dev_###.rrd). I add the graphs to a graph tree and go view them but instead of a graph I get the infamous "little red x."

I've waited and waited and polling continues to occur and the RRDs are getting updated as they should. I'm confident the data is in their and this is just a display problem and/or a linkage break between Cacti and Advanced Ping where it isn't registering the graphs properly - note: I don't really know what I'm talking about, this is speculation.

Anyone have any ideas? I saw one post in this thread with the same problem and no resolution.
apeterson

Re: RRDs created but unable to display

Post by apeterson »

apeterson wrote:I've been through the installation process for advanced ping 3 times now since clearing up the versioning problem when importing the graph template and the results are always the same:

Everything appears to go very smoothly including the creation of the RRDs (named *dev_###.rrd). I add the graphs to a graph tree and go view them but instead of a graph I get the infamous "little red x."

I've waited and waited and polling continues to occur and the RRDs are getting updated as they should. I'm confident the data is in their and this is just a display problem and/or a linkage break between Cacti and Advanced Ping where it isn't registering the graphs properly - note: I don't really know what I'm talking about, this is speculation.

Anyone have any ideas? I saw one post in this thread with the same problem and no resolution.
I just did some more digging and figured out that I had installed thold and then patched my 0.8.6f. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with thold but it made me realize thold replaces lib/functions.php with its own version that conflicts with the patched version. I've tried both and neither one alters the behavior of the Advanced Ping graphs.

This is the line entered each time I refresh the failing graph in debug mode:

08/24/2005 04:08:56 PM - WEBLOG: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: d:\apache\apache2\htdocs\cacti\rrdtool.exe graph - --imgformat=PNG --start=1124838513 --end=1124924913 --title="London AT&T Router - Advanced Ping" --base=1000 --height=120 --width=500 --upper-limit=10 --lower-limit=0 --units-exponent=1 COMMENT:"From 08/23/2005 16\:08\:33 To 08/24/2005 16\:08\:33\c" COMMENT:" \n" --vertical-label="milliseconds" --slope-mode --font TITLE:12:c:\winnt\fonts\arial.ttf --font AXIS:8:c:\winnt\fonts\arial.ttf --font LEGEND:10:c:\winnt\fonts\arial.ttf --font UNIT:8:c:\winnt\fonts\arial.ttf DEF:a="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":min:AVERAGE DEF:b="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":avg:AVERAGE DEF:c="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:d="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:e="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":dev:AVERAGE DEF:f="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:g="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:h="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:i="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:j="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:ba="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:bb="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:bc="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":avg:AVERAGE DEF:bd="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:be="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:bf="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:bg="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:bh="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":max:AVERAGE DEF:bi="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:bj="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:ca="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:cb="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:cc="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:cd="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:ce="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":loss:AVERAGE DEF:cf="D\:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/london_att_router_dev_332.rrd":avg:AVERAGE CDEF:cdefg=d,0,GT,d,2,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefh=d,3,GT,d,5,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefi=d,5,GT,d,10,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefj=d,10,GT,d,15,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefba=d,15,GT,d,50,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefbb=d,50,GT,d,95,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefbc=d,95,GT,d,100,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefbd=d,UN,1,EQ,TIME,300,+,NOW,GT,UNKN,INF,IF,d,95,GT,INF,UNKN,IF,IF CDEF:cdefbf=e,2,/ CDEF:cdefbh=c,b,-,e,-,3,/ CDEF:cdefcd=d,0,GT,d,2,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefce=d,3,GT,d,5,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefcf=d,5,GT,d,10,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefcg=d,10,GT,d,15,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefch=d,15,GT,d,50,GT,b,INF,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefci=d,50,GT,d,95,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF CDEF:cdefcj=d,95,GT,d,100,GT,UNKN,b,IF,UNKN,IF LINE1:a:"" LINE1:cf:"" LINE1:bh:"" LINE1:ce:"" LINE1:e:"" COMMENT:" Pkt Loss\:" AREA:cdefg#AFECED:"1-2%" AREA:cdefh#55D6D3:"3-5%" AREA:cdefi#7CB3F1:"6-10%" AREA:cdefj#4668E4:"11-15%" AREA:cdefba#A150AA:"16-50%" AREA:cdefbb#FF00FF:"51-95%" AREA:cdefbc#F51D30:"96-100%" COMMENT:"Unknown\n" AREA:cf#FFFFFF:"" AREA:cdefbf#333333:"":STACK AREA:cdefbf#555555:"":STACK AREA:cdefbh#888888:"":STACK AREA:cdefbh#AAAAAA:"":STACK AREA:cdefbh#CCCCCC:"":STACK GPRINT:ce:AVERAGE:" Avg Loss\:%6.2lf%%" GPRINT:ce:MAX:"Max Loss\:%6.2lf%%\n" COMMENT:" Latency\:" AREA:cdefcd#AFECED:"" AREA:cdefce#55D6D3:"" AREA:cdefcf#7CB3F1:"" AREA:cdefcg#4668E4:"" AREA:cdefch#A150AA:"" AREA:cdefci#FF00FF:"" AREA:cdefcj#F51D30:"" GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Min\:%8.2lf ms" GPRINT:cf:AVERAGE:"Avg\:%8.2lf ms" GPRINT:bh:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf ms" GPRINT:e:AVERAGE:"Dev\:%8.2lf ms\n" COMMENT:"Avg Latency\:" LINE1:cf#00BD27:"."
lard
Cacti User

Post by lard »

Hi All,

I have been setting this up and after attempting to create a new device "google" and setting up the associated graphing template this wouldn't work...so I then realised that as I cannot get SNMP access to google (dah!) then cacti would always see this as down!

Changed the detection method to icmp-ping only and all works...the question is though, how do I keep snmp-reliable and use this on 3rd-party websites?

I am assuming that something may be up as I would have assumed this was like the origanol smoke ping link template, where you assign it to an existing host but can specify an IP address in the DS for it to monitor, I can see the variable 'hostname' but do not get an option to set this when adding a new DS manually.....

Can I get a quick run through on the best(/correct!) way to set this up?

Thanks,

Lard
---- lard007skype ----
lard
Cacti User

Post by lard »

Isn't it amazing after searching forums e.t.c. and then posting a query....you answer it yourself within minutes???!! :evil:

Turns out that after chacking the data template for advanced ping the "per device hostname" field was checked.... :oops: ....after unchecking and adding the data template to an existing host it then asked me for the IP to poll..

I'll go and turn it back to snmp-reliable now :wink:

Lard
---- lard007skype ----