cactid SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

brunom

cactid SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP

Post by brunom »

Hello,

First of all ... I know that Cactid is not yet supported but I was having some issues with cmd.php and I want to start using cactid ... I got the latest RC from the Announcements forum [ cacti-cactid-0.8.6e-rc23.zip ]. I am running on RHEL3 and cacti 0.8.6c.

I've changed the poller to cactid in the Web GUI and I get the following on the log files:

[...]
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[40] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[42] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[42] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[56] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[56] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
[...]

I am using ICMP ping just to be sure ... This happens for the 39 devices I have configured on my cacti install. SNMP is correctly configured in the machines/routers as I can snmpwalk them and cmd.php was working fine (just very slow and got some dead processes that hang the machine).

I am not sure what the issue with cactid is ... :-? Any ideas?

Cheers

/B
brunom

Just one more detail

Post by brunom »

I am running the logging level on HIGH ... that's all the information I get ... The last lines for each polling are:

06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Time: 11.6998 s, Threads: 1, Hosts: 39
06/20/2005 03:45:13 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time: 12.1499 s, Method: cactid, Processes: 1, Threads: 1, Hosts: 39, Hosts/Process: 39
brunom

Re: cactid SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP

Post by brunom »

OK, I figured it out. Two issues were causing this problem.

1. I had an RPM installation of Net-SNMP on my machine and that's what cactid was picking up when compiling, instead of the net-snmp-5.2.1 that I had compiled on my local box.
2. In the configure script, it wasn't passing the path to the MySQL libraries correctly, so I manually added -L/usr/lib/mysql

That solved the problem.

cactid-0.8.6e rc23 is working for me. RHEL3 + net-snmp 5.2.1

I thought I would post this here just in case someone else is having the same problem.

Cheers

/B
brunom wrote:Hello,

First of all ... I know that Cactid is not yet supported but I was having some issues with cmd.php and I want to start using cactid ... I got the latest RC from the Announcements forum [ cacti-cactid-0.8.6e-rc23.zip ]. I am running on RHEL3 and cacti 0.8.6c.

I've changed the poller to cactid in the Web GUI and I get the following on the log files:

[...]
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[40] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[42] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[42] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[56] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
06/20/2005 03:45:12 PM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[56] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
[...]

I am using ICMP ping just to be sure ... This happens for the 39 devices I have configured on my cacti install. SNMP is correctly configured in the machines/routers as I can snmpwalk them and cmd.php was working fine (just very slow and got some dead processes that hang the machine).

I am not sure what the issue with cactid is ... :-? Any ideas?

Cheers

/B
niko

Problem with cactid, while poller.php works

Post by niko »

Hi, i installed cacti 0.8.6f and with poller.php, all snmp operations works great, and cacti graph pretty good.
But, i want to pool more than 300 host with each 4 values, so i unterdtood i must use cactid.
So i installed cacti-cactid0.8.6e, and when i configure cacti to user it, instead of poller.php, i seen my host going to down state (whereas, state is up with poller.php).
I think there is a problem with this line : SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
The debug file is here :

Code: Select all

debian:/usr/local/cactid# ./cactid 
CACTID: Using cactid config file [cactid.conf]
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_php_server variable is /var/www/cacti/script_server.php
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_cactilog variable is /var/www/cacti/log/cacti.log
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_destination variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The path_php variable is /usr/bin/php
CACTID: DEBUG: The availability_method variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_recovery_count variable is 3
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_failure_count variable is 2
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_method variable is 2
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_retries variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The ping_timeout variable is 400
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_perror variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_pwarn variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The log_pstats variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The threads variable is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The polling interval is the system default
CACTID: DEBUG: The number of concurrent processes is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: The script timeout is 25
CACTID: DEBUG: StartHost='0', EndHost='0', TotalPHPScripts='0'
CACTID: DEBUG: The PHP Script Server is Not Required
CACTID: CACTID: Version 0.8.6e starting
CACTID: MYSQL: Connecting to MySQL database 'cacti' on 'localhost'...
CACTID: MYSQL: Connected to MySQL database 'cacti' on 'localhost'...
CACTID: CACTID: Initializing Net-SNMP API
CACTID: CACTID: Initializing PHP Script Server
CACTID: DEBUG: Parent pid=31363, Script Server pid=0
CACTID: DEBUG: Initial Value of Active Threads is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: Valid Thread to be Created
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 1
CACTID: DEBUG: In Poller, About to Start Polling of Host
CACTID: Host[0] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: The Value of Active Threads is 0
CACTID: DEBUG: The UDP Ping return_code was -1, errno was 111, total_time was 3.4771
CACTID: Host[3] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
CACTID: Host[3] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: update host set status='1',status_event_count='64', status_fail_date='2005-08-03 18:00:00',status_rec_date='2005-08-03 05:58:19',status_last_error='Host did not respond to SNMP, UDP: Host is Alive',min_time='9.999990',max_time='65.910000',cur_time='45.760000',avg_time='49.966610',total_polls='168',failed_polls='122',availability='27.3810' where id='3'

CACTID: Host[3] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: The UDP Ping return_code was -1, errno was 111, total_time was 28.2120
CACTID: Host[5] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
CACTID: Host[5] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: update host set status='1',status_event_count='64', status_fail_date='2005-08-03 18:00:00',status_rec_date='2005-08-03 05:58:21',status_last_error='Host did not respond to SNMP, UDP: Host is Alive',min_time='9.999990',max_time='186.290000',cur_time='70.290000',avg_time='86.146240',total_polls='148',failed_polls='121',availability='18.2432' where id='5'

CACTID: Host[5] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: The UDP Ping return_code was -1, errno was 111, total_time was 33.8741
CACTID: Host[6] PING Result: UDP: Host is Alive
CACTID: Host[6] SNMP Result: Host did not respond to SNMP
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: update host set status='1',status_event_count='64', status_fail_date='2005-08-03 18:00:00',status_rec_date='2005-08-03 05:58:21',status_last_error='Host did not respond to SNMP, UDP: Host is Alive',min_time='9.999990',max_time='109.070000',cur_time='77.790000',avg_time='86.133500',total_polls='138',failed_polls='121',availability='12.3188' where id='6'

CACTID: Host[6] DEBUG: HOST COMPLETE: About to Exit Host Polling Thread Function
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: replace into settings (name,value) values ('date',NOW())
CACTID: DEBUG: SQLCMD: insert into poller_time (poller_id, start_time, end_time) values (0, NOW(), NOW())
CACTID: DEBUG: Thread Cleanup Complete
CACTID: DEBUG: PHP Script Server Pipes Closed
CACTID: DEBUG: Allocated Variable Memory Freed
CACTID: CACTID: Shutting down Net-SNMP API
CACTID: DEBUG: MYSQL Free & Close Completed
CACTID: Execution Time: 0.7174 s, Threads: 1, Hosts: 4
I read the precedent post, and the compilation seems to accept mysql and snmp header :

Code: Select all

debian:/cacti-cactid-0.8.6e# make
source='sql.c' object='sql.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/sql.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/sql.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'sql.c' || echo './'`sql.c
source='cactid.c' object='cactid.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/cactid.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/cactid.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'cactid.c' || echo './'`cactid.c
source='util.c' object='util.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/util.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/util.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'util.c' || echo './'`util.c
source='snmp.c' object='snmp.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/snmp.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/snmp.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'snmp.c' || echo './'`snmp.c
source='locks.c' object='locks.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/locks.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/locks.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'locks.c' || echo './'`locks.c
source='poller.c' object='poller.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/poller.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/poller.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'poller.c' || echo './'`poller.c
source='nft_popen.c' object='nft_popen.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/nft_popen.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/nft_popen.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'nft_popen.c' || echo './'`nft_popen.c
source='php.c' object='php.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/php.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/php.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'php.c' || echo './'`php.c
source='ping.c' object='ping.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/ping.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/ping.TPo' \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config     -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2 -c `test -f 'ping.c' || echo './'`ping.c
gcc  -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/ -I/root/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp//.. -I/usr/include/mysql -g -O2  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L -L/usr/lib  -o cactid  sql.o cactid.o util.o snmp.o locks.o poller.o nft_popen.o php.o ping.o  -lnetsnmp -lcrypto -lmysqlclient -lmysqlclient -lz -lpthread -lm -lnsl 

i use net-snmp-5.2.1

So, is it due to a problem with my compilation ? Or any problem...?
Thanks
niko

SOLVED

Post by niko »

I solved the problem, while compiling cactid with --with-static option