Windows 2003 installation issue

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ichoudhury

Post by ichoudhury »

Finally, I revisited the installation and decided to start from the scratch.

-Rebuild the OS (windows 2003)
-Mysql
-PHP
-cacti
-iis 6

and all..

Now I am starting to see graph. But not all ...... but then again, I think I have to work with the templates a little as many of those doesn't apply to my environment.... (Mainly Windows stuff)...

Thanks for all the help so far.

(I decided to keep everything to D: drive but follow the instruction to the T :-)

But there is no way I can get cactid to work (precompiled one of course...why is it failing? Is there anything required that I do not have? I am using cmd.php
There are those who think fast, and there are others who sleep on a decision. I belong to the third group.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I've also been unable to get cactid to work in my Win2K3 installation. Even worked with TheWitness for a few hours one day. I've just given up for now.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You need to post the specific error messages you receive when running Cactid from the command line. To debug, set logging to DEBUG, disable your scheduled task, open a command prompt, change directories to the Cactid directory and run cactid.exe.

Then post your results. I can assure you that Cactid runs fine on Windows 2000 and 2003 server's. In the past, the major issues, outside of bugs, have been in the past the following:

1) Cactid Binary Distribution (0.8.6d) being built for MySQL 4.0.X and not 4.1.X - resolved by each user making their own copy.
2) Grant privileges in MySQL - Resolved by following installation instructions
3) Cygwin DLL Version Conflicts - Resolved by installing Cygwin and removing DLL files from Cactid directory

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
ichoudhury

Post by ichoudhury »

Ok, here's what I did and now cactid is working under Windows 2003

Since rrdtool and cactid both using the cygwin1.dll file, I decided to put both of them in one folder called d:\rrdtool

This allow me to get rid of one of the cygwin1.dll file

Now, I setup the cactid.conf to read 127.0.0.1 for the DB_Host (rather than localhost or server fully qualified name or IP)

....it works
There are those who think fast, and there are others who sleep on a decision. I belong to the third group.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

congrats.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

ichoudhury wrote:Ok, here's what I did and now cactid is working under Windows 2003

Since rrdtool and cactid both using the cygwin1.dll file, I decided to put both of them in one folder called d:\rrdtool

This allow me to get rid of one of the cygwin1.dll file

Now, I setup the cactid.conf to read 127.0.0.1 for the DB_Host (rather than localhost or server fully qualified name or IP)

....it works
Good heavens, how could such a simple change fix this? I too have been trying for weeks to get cactid working on Server 2003 without success. While looking at some other posts and spotted this one, as you say, it works. :o

Well done for saving me a lot grief. 8)
Regards

Bill
costa

PHP Bug was bypassed using amodified CMD.PHP file

Post by costa »

I got my cacti working fine, using XAMPP (with PHP 5.0.2).

Please view the following bug report associated with a specific condition in the cmd.php file:
http://bugs.cacti.net/view.php?id=877

What I can say is that even though the text fields where I insert the shceudled task file paths are all lowercase, somehow MS Windows internally defaults do C: instead of c:

By viewing the bug report and specifically the following information:

"Basically it seems that php 5.2.0 for windows has finally fixed the lowercase bug cacti was working around. Currently, no matter how cmd.php is invoked with php 5.2.0, cacti will throw its "ERROR: The PHP Script: CMD.PHP Must be started using the full path to the file and in lower case. This is a PHP Bug!!!" error. The user added $guess = strtolower($guess); to cmd.php which fixed it"

I realized that I just needed to force the conversion of the path to lowecase:

- what i did was open cmd.php with notepad and force conversion of the file path to lowercase (just in case Windows stores some part of it in uppercase) and then comment out the statement that breaks the program if uppercase string is detected.

Always make a backup copy of it before replacing with the cmd.php that is attached below, for you to place in your cacti directory.

Thank you all: took me two and a half days to get cacti working on Windows, using Xampp. Damn. Better make good use of it now.
Attachments
cmd.txt
Download and place in your cacti directory. Make sure you backup the existing cmd.php just in case.

This attachment in in .txt extension. You must rename to .php extension for it to work.
(16.66 KiB) Downloaded 198 times