is FTP or SFTP required on cacti main poller or remote poller for any of the cacti functionality

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Gopal

is FTP or SFTP required on cacti main poller or remote poller for any of the cacti functionality

Post by Gopal »

Hi Team ,

I have almost 4K devices in my environment so we have a distributed environment . as far as I understand all the communication between main poller and remote poller takes place through httpd or through mysql but none of the instruction specific to cacti application are passed from main poller to remote poller or vice-versa .

is FTP or SFTP service is required on main poller or remote poller to complete any instruction for cacti application ?? This question I am asking because FTP/SFTP is posing vulnerability to our environment and we want to shut down this service .

all the box are RHEL 7.9 Maipo

Please suggest .

Best Regards,
Gopal
Best Regards,
Gopal
macan
Cacti Guru User

Re: is FTP or SFTP required on cacti main poller or remote poller for any of the cacti functionality

Post by macan »

Let the Cacti grow!
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: is FTP or SFTP required on cacti main poller or remote poller for any of the cacti functionality

Post by netniV »

MySQL and SNMP with ping optional
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
Gopal

Post by Gopal »

Thanks Macan & Vinten ,

just one question like through mysql connectivity the new database or its table structure are replicated to remote pollers .

but just one question how the new php files (modifies ones or new ones) which comes with newer version are pushed to remote pollers from main poller . Is that done via httpd ??? or what

Best Regards,
Gopal
Best Regards,
Gopal
macan
Cacti Guru User

Post by macan »

I have only one poller but I'm expecting that you have to upgrade every poller manually
Let the Cacti grow!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Gopal,

They are maintained in the poller_resource_cache and then changes are absorbed into the remote poller when it's online unless you specifically disable that feature, which should be in Console > Configuration > Settings > Poller, pretty sure anyway.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?