Data source duplication with scripted DS when creating device.

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

sbotnick

Data source duplication with scripted DS when creating device.

Post by sbotnick »

Cacti imported device template and data source duplication issue Cacti 1.2.19 on Linux:

Create Data Input Method, Device, Graph, Data Source templates on one system,
Data source is script, has custom variable for TCP port, multiple output fields,
device template has multiple graph templates associated.
Test device creation on system where templates created; successful,
repeatable with single data source supplying multiple graphs.
By "system" I am referring to a setup with Main and remote pollers.

Re-create issue:
Export device template to file with dependencies.
Import device template on unrelated test system.
Create device on test system.
Device is created with a discrete data source for each graph created for the device at that time.

I have an older post where I ran into inconsistent behaviour where multiple data sources were created when graphs were added to an existing device/device template, this seems similar/related.

Related additional issue: On device creation, I am not asked for
custom variables despite Custom Data item in template being set to allow
override.
I believe this had worked in previous versions, at least some times.

The problems are: low bandwidth connections and with a custom TCP port, you have to go back and edit the port in each data source for each device if they are non-standard.

I'd like to get this functional, once it is, I'll share the templates and retrieval script, it is for a basic Gill weather station.
sbotnick

Re: Data source duplication with scripted DS when creating device.

Post by sbotnick »

The problem is intermittent. Create a new device with a template one day, it creates a data source for each graph in the device template and the next time you go to create a device with the same template, it creates one data source with all the graphs in the device template associated with it. I'm sure for most people this isn't an issue on a fast network, but when working over slow, low bandwidth telemetry links with slow devices, it makes for gappy graphs.