Config weirdness upgrading remote poller to 1.2.19

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

sbotnick

Config weirdness upgrading remote poller to 1.2.19

Post by sbotnick »

Hello,

I upgraded my primary and remote pair to 1.2.19. The upgrade process went OK on the primary, but the remote is having a problem that isn't making sense.

The pair of systems has been working with the same config for a couple of years now and has been upgraded a few times successfully.

When attempting to upgrade the remote, it is acting like it wants to do an installation and the local DB info is incorrect, it is pointing to the primary and this is not consistent with the historical operation and the configuration files. Text from the Installation Wizard:

Cacti Server v1.2.19 - Installation Wizard
Installation Type
Please select the type of installation
Installation options:

New Primary Server - Choose this for the Primary site.
New Remote Poller - Remote Pollers are used to access networks that are not readily accessible to the Primary site. *this is what is currently selected.

The following information has been determined from Cacti's configuration file. If it is not correct, please edit "include/config.php" before continuing.

Local Database Connection Information
Database: cacti
Database User: cactiuser
Database Hostname: mon01-ext.my.dom <-This should be localhost
Port: 3306
Server Operating System Type: unix

Central Database Connection Information
Database: cacti
Database User: cactiuser
Database Hostname: mon01-ext.my.dom
Port: 3306
Server Operating System Type: unix

Additional Steps After Installation
It is essential that the Central Cacti server can communicate via MySQL to each remote Cacti database server. Once the install is complete, you must edit the Remote Data Collector and ensure the settings are correct. You can verify using the 'Test Connection' when editing the Remote Data Collector.

Actions I have taken:
Re-confirmed settings in db.php, the remote's local db is configured to point at localhost.
Clear and restart browser
Restart httpd
Restart php-fpm
Restart mysqld

Next steps in troubleshooting?
sbotnick

Re: Config weirdness upgrading remote poller to 1.2.19

Post by sbotnick »

This gets weirder. It started working again for no apparent reason and the remote poller stopped bringing me to the upgrade page when logging in, the web interface navigates normally- this is after it not working for several days and never finishing the upgrade on the remote. I checked the remote database connection config in the web interface for the remote poller and it is displayed as pointing the database to its own FQDN and will not allow me to change it, when I attempt to change it, I get an Action failed popup:
You have already used this hostname <remote poller FQDN> Please enter a non-duplicate hostname.
You have already used this database hostname <remote poller FQDN> Please enter a non-duplicate database hostname.
When saving a Remote Data Collector, the Database Hostname must be unique from all others.

On the remote poller, both db.php and spine.conf have the local database configured to point at localhost and the remote database pointing at the main poller by FQDN as they should be. Where do the data collectors in the web interface get their remote database configuration data?

As I have said previously, it had been working for a couple of years through a few upgrades.