Get SNMP DATA doesn't get the data inserted in the RRD file

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

klavs

Get SNMP DATA doesn't get the data inserted in the RRD file

Post by klavs »

Hi guys,

I'll start by saying that Cacti is the most professional looking tool, I've seen yet and I'm very excited about it - and hope it can fullfill all my nerdy needs :-)

If I get it to work, I would like to pursuade my company to pay a license - or a donation (your choice) - if that is possible?

I'm trying to watch a printer/copier I have, so I can see how many prints/copies it has made.

I've setup a Data Source, with SNMP OID: .1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1 and I've checked with smmpget that I get the correct data using this OID/IP/community.

Under Data Source Configuration - it says this in the top (preview I believe):

INTERNAL: [192.168.1.2/public] OID: [.1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1]
/usr/local/bin/rrdtool update /home/cactiuser/public_html/cacti/rra/192_168_1_2__kopima.rrd --template kopi N:87619

the number at the end, is the correct number - but I don't get why it doesn't insert it into the rrd database :-(

The rrd (according to rrdtool fetch <rrd-file> AVERAGE) - contains only Nan :-(

When I run php cmd.php, it doesn't complain about it, although it did complain at first, when I tried to have 2 DS'es in the same RRD file (it was 2 counters from the same machine I would like to have in the same RRD-file - but that it wouldn't create).

I really hope you can help me.

p.s. The server is a FreeBSD 4.6.

Best regards,
Klavs
Denmark
Stefan Skotte

Post by Stefan Skotte »

Try to check the maximum allowed value for the current datasource, its sometimes set to 1, and thus not allowing update-values higher than that.

That might be the cause.....

- Stefan
klavs

Post by klavs »

Thank you for the suggestion.

The Maximum allowed value was set to 1, but I tried to change it to 999999 - and it still doesn't work :-(

Any other suggestions, as what could be wrong - or how I could get more detailed error information?

Best regards,

Klavs
Denmark
dmason

Post by dmason »

I've been having problems with getting the graphs to generate as well but have discovered a few things that helped:

1. Make sure all your .rrd files and the rra directory are readable by everyone.
2. Start by creating basic graphs using AVERAGE instead of LAST or MAX. MAX doesn't get added on the Daily graph but is added to the weekly, monthly, and yearly graphs after the data is aggregated.
3. I haven't gotten the "Get SNMP Network Data" data source to work yet. I have only been able to use the "Get SNMP Data" data source to work.
4. Check you web server's error log.
5. Play around with the graph configurations.

Hope this helps.

David
phriday613

Post by phriday613 »

Klavs,

The number after the letter N: signifies the value of the obtained data.
if thats the correct value that you would like graphed, then the script properly obtains the data.

After that, try to recreate the graph again. It might be a graphing problem, if the script can get data correctly.

Do your other graphs work?

Post by Guest »

My other graphs works fine, and still it doesn't do the graph, but yes, as you said the value in the Data Sources, is the correct one - but it is not saved in the rrd file - when I do a fetch it's all NaN's - except one value which is just plain 0. :-(

Also I have a problem with a loadaverage graph, where I need to apply cdef=avg,100,/ - but if I enter that rddtool complains - I don't get it..

It would be great if some of you who had CDEF and other special examples, could take a screendump, so I could see how to set it up.
phriday613

Post by phriday613 »

http://kickinitwitmilhouse.no-ip.com/ca ... ction=tree

is my site, you can view the source there!