PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php (solved)

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

marcmerlin
Cacti User

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php (solved)

Post by marcmerlin »

I've had cacti working for close to 10 years on linux/debian and upgraded it multiple times.
And then the php5 to php7 upgrade from hell happened (I'm not even going to go into php 7.0 vs 7.2 vs 7.3). I can't believe how terrible php has been handled this complete incompatible upgrade and forcing a flag day as opposed to supporting both versions side by side like perl or python.

Anyway, after this forced php7 upgrade (pulled by another package I had to upgrade), plenty of things broke, and I haven't been able to get cacti working since then.
I did just upgrade it to 1.2.7+ds1-1 as packaged by debian.

I still get this in my apache logs each time I open a cacti page:
[:error] [pid 31112] [client 173.11.111.145:42710] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php:1639\nStack trace:\n#0 /usr/share/cacti/site/graph_json.php(158): rrdtool_function_graph(93, '0', Array)\n#1 {main}\n thrown in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php on line 1639, referer: https://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/graph ... hyper=true

I spent hours trying to fix this and getting mbstring working (which clearly is not default in php for reasons I don't understand).
gargamel:/etc/cacti# dpkggrep mbstring
php-mbstring install
php7.2-mbstring install
php7.3-mbstring install
gargamel:/etc/cacti# php --version
PHP 7.3.12-1 (cli) (built: Nov 28 2019 07:34:08) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.12, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.3.12-1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies
gargamel:/etc/cacti# php -m | grep mbstring
mbstring

So, the module is there and looks installed/available, but still, cacti keeps erroring as if it weren't there.

What should I try next?

Thanks,
Marc
Last edited by marcmerlin on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php

Post by netniV »

make sure that you have enabled the mbstring extensions under apache as well as under the php cli.

a2enmod should work for you on debian i believe.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Re: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php

Post by marcmerlin »

I understand what you're saying, but didn't the 2 commands I posted confirm that I'm using the correct php and that the module is enabled?

Repasting;

Code: Select all

gargamel:/etc/cacti# php --version
PHP 7.3.12-1 (cli) (built: Nov 28 2019 07:34:08) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.12, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.3.12-1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies
gargamel:/etc/cacti# php -m | grep mbstring
mbstring
If php -m somehow isn't the correct way to validate this, please let me know what I may have missed.
Now that I'm forced to have 3 PHP versions on my server due to package dependencies, it's a complete mess. I think everything is running php 7.3 though.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

No, that just confirms that the cli has it enabled.
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Issues
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

oh, the cli and apache php7 module handle modules separately? What madness is this? I already hated php, but now even more so :-/
Ok, I'll try and learn more about how php7 works and see how a2enmod works, thanks for the tip.
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

netniV wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm No, that just confirms that the cli has it enabled.
Ok, just had time to try; a2enmod is meant to enable an apache module, not a php module.

gargamel:~# a2enmod
Your choices are: access_compat actions alias allowmethods asis auth_basic auth_digest auth_form authn_anon authn_core authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_file authn_socache authnz_fcgi authnz_ldap authz_core authz_dbd authz_dbm authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex buffer cache cache_disk cache_socache cern_meta cgi cgid charset_lite data dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dialup dir dump_io echo env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers heartbeat heartmonitor http2 ident imagemap include info lbmethod_bybusyness lbmethod_byrequests lbmethod_bytraffic lbmethod_heartbeat ldap log_debug log_forensic lua macro mime mime_magic mpm_event mpm_prefork mpm_worker negotiation perl php5 php7.0 proxy proxy_ajp proxy_balancer proxy_connect proxy_express proxy_fcgi proxy_fdpass proxy_ftp proxy_hcheck proxy_html proxy_http proxy_http2 proxy_scgi proxy_wstunnel ratelimit reflector remoteip reqtimeout request rewrite sed session session_cookie session_crypto session_dbd setenvif slotmem_plain slotmem_shm socache_dbm socache_memcache socache_shmcb speling ssl status substitute suexec unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias xml2enc
Which module(s) do you want to enable (wildcards ok)?
There is no mbstring in there given that mbstring is a php module, which I think I gave evidence is already enabled (from php -m), and not an apache module.
Am I missing something?
Thanks.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

Sorry, my bad I was half asleep. I think the command is phpenmod not a2enmod. I know that you ran php -m, but debian has two different configurations for php, one for cli and one for web.
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Issues
idle
Cacti User

Post by idle »

You can check php modules for apache using browser.
Make new php script with phpinfo() and open it via browser.
Like this:

echo '<?php phpinfo() ?>' > /usr/share/cacti/site/i.php
And point your browser to https://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/i.php

upd.
Or you can check phpinfo via Cacti utilities. https://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/utili ... ab=phpinfo
Last edited by idle on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

idle wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 am You can check php modules for apache using browser.
Like this:

That is actually a good recommendation, though do remember to remove it afterwards as it will contain potentially sensitive information.
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Issues
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

netniV wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 am Sorry, my bad I was half asleep. I think the command is phpenmod not a2enmod. I know that you ran php -m, but debian has two different configurations for php, one for cli and one for web.
Thanks for offering your help.

Clearly I know nothing about how php7 is supposed to work, and sadly it looks like debian did a poor job of just making it work (as in not the cacti package, but this php7 mess)

See below

gargamel:~# phpenmod mbstring
WARNING: Module mbstring ini file doesn't exist under /etc/php/7.0/mods-available
WARNING: Module mbstring ini file doesn't exist under /etc/php/7.0/mods-available
gargamel:~# ln -s /usr/share/php7.3-mbstring/mbstring/mbstring.ini /etc/php/7.0/mods-available
gargamel:~# 
And yet after that, it still doesn't work because it was the wrong phpenmod from an outdated php-common package that didn't get upgraded by php7.3 (it should have had a dependency).

Unpacking php-common (2:69) over (1:57) ...
gargamel:~# phpdismod mbstring
gargamel:~# cat /etc/php/7.3/mods-available/mbstring.ini
; configuration for php mbstring module
; priority=20
extension=mbstring.so
gargamel:/usr/share/cacti/site# phpquery -V
gargamel:~# find /etc/apache2/ |grep php |grep enabled
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php7.0.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php7.0.load
gargamel:~# dpkg -S /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp7.0.so
libapache2-mod-php7.0: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp7.0.so
gargamel:~# apt-get install libapache2-mod-php7.3
Creating config file /etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini with new version
libapache2-mod-php7.3: php7.0 module already enabled, not enabling PHP 7.3
gargamel:~# apt-get remove libapache2-mod-php7.0
not quite what I expected
1) php7.3 already had the module
2) php-common seems to default to 7.0 and ignore the 7.3 install although it also reports that all 3 are installed
3) installing php7.3 indeed only installed the command line stuff and not the apache module too, so I was running the wrong version.

After fixing all this, cacti finally works again (seems that it doesn't work with 7.0 even with mbstring installed, but it worked with 7.3 once I finally got it working in apache.

Thanks for the help.
Marc
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

Mmmh, I spoke too soon. It works better, but now errors on this when I look at a graph:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function xml_parser_create() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/xml.php:112\nStack trace:\n#0 /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php(2303): rrdxport2array('<?xml version="...')\n#1 /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php(2321): rrdtool_function_graph(97, '0', Array, '', Array)\n#2 /usr/share/cacti/site/graph_xport.php(99): rrdtool_function_xport(97, '0', Array, Array)\n#3 {main}\n thrown in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/xml.php on line 112
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

idle wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 am You can check php modules for apache using browser.
Like this:

upd.
Or you can check phpinfo via Cacti utilities. https://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/utili ... ab=phpinfo
So, I definitely have it working better now, but still has issues. You can look at
http://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/graph_ ... hyper=true
this works, until you click on a graph gear icon
Error: 500 Internal Server Error
Reason: The response to the last action was unexpected.

I'll send you a PM with the phpinfo output.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

Error 500 means that there was an internal server error and you look to the apache error log to see why.
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Issues
marcmerlin
Cacti User

Post by marcmerlin »

netniV wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:01 pm Error 500 means that there was an internal server error and you look to the apache error log to see why.
I already did and already pasted the error logged in apache.log above :)

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function xml_parser_create() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/xml.php:112\nStack trace:\n#0 /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php(2303): rrdxport2array('<?xml version="...')\n#1 /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php(2321): rrdtool_function_graph(97, '0', Array, '', Array)\n#2 /usr/share/cacti/site/graph_xport.php(99): rrdtool_function_xport(97, '0', Array, Array)\n#3 {main}\n thrown in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/xml.php on line 112
Is that supposed to be part of core php, or yet another module that I'm missing? Mmmh, the real error was actually above in the logs. /var/lib/php/sessions was not writeable in the container, but the last erorr logged pointed me towards xml_parser_create which was not really the problem.

[Tue Dec 10 19:31:27.093911 2019] [php7:warn] [pid 303] [client 173.11.111.145:54344] PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/lib/php/sessions/sess_4pmoaqm9up35dkhcs7a8o4ua74, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/global.php on line 386, referer: http://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/graph_view.php?action=tree&node=tree_anchor-7&site_id=-1&host_id=-1&host_template_id=-1&hgd=&hyper=true
[Tue Dec 10 19:31:27.094120 2019] [php7:warn] [pid 303] [client 173.11.111.145:54344] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/lib/php/sessions) in /usr/share/cacti/site/include/global.php on line 386, referer: http://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/graph_view.php?action=tree&node=tree_anchor-7&site_id=-1&host_id=-1&host_template_id=-1&hgd=&hyper=true
Looks like I'm all good now, thanks for the help.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php (solve

Post by netniV »

Well, actually, that means you don't have the XML modules enabled, nor the session modules either. I would look at the full list of desired modules and then ensure that they have all been enabled under your newer php version for both cli and apache.

I had assumed that the above error had come from the cacti log files.
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Issues