[HOWTO] Debug NaN's in your graphs

If you figure out how to do something interesting/cool in Cacti and want to share it with the community, please post your experience here.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

pbud70

Re: [HOWTO] Debug NaN's in your graphs

Post by pbud70 »

OK, got it with the excellent help of the folks @ ITPA www.ipta.org.au . Basically the data value that I was putting in had a trailling \r\n. Finding this out was done with…

root@whisk:~# echo “$myvar” | od -a
0000000 0 . 7 8 cr nl

and:
printf "%f" "$myvar"
: invalid number.78

This occurred because it was the last field (column) in the file, so “cut” was grabbing the carriage return as part of the last field.

I fixed it by adding an additional dummy field to the returned sql, so that instead of grabbing the last field in the data set I’m now grabbing the second last field.

So now I get:
echo “$myvar” | od -a
0000000 b nul fs 0 . 7 8 b nul gs nl

now which works OK and there’s aggregate data appearing in rrds now.

Cheers,

Chris
Erudes1991

Post by Erudes1991 »

I cannot follow these steps, they are quite difficult to me, can you guys provide me assistance?
artvarck

Post by artvarck »

One of issues I found that was causing "nan" in place of actual data points was McAfee Endpoint Security for Linux (ENS) interfering with rrdtool. White listing spine and rrdtool, and the entire /var/lib/cacti/ directory resolved the issue.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

McAfee, the company notorious for writing their own virus'. Research George Webb and find out. He worked for John years ago, and his team wrote viruses to keep the software company viable. Lovely how that works. It's like politics.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?